Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Things continue to cost more!

I had put a deposit on a 2022 RT Limited a couple of months ago and received an e-mail from BRP and Congratulations on securing your vehicle. As I was reviewing their Canadian website I noticed that the commodity surcharge on the RT is now $1,000.00 Since I was thinking I was going to wait until the new year to pre-order, it turned out it was a good thing not to.

Randy

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't like all these additional charges but am not surprised. Congrats.

Spyder Garage

Exactly what is a commodity surcharge?

Spyder Garage

It is a built in $1000 going to stick you fee.

BRP, I am sure has a different explanation for it.

You may not be able to get rid of the "commodity surcharge," but, there are a lot of things that can be negotiated. It is the final OTD price that counts. add 1000 here, take 2000 off somewhere else, etc.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It appears to me that there are too many good secondhand rides out there for sale to put up with "commodity surcharge" crapola. If I ever needed to replace my spyder and knowing what I know now, I wouldn't likely buy a new one. JMHO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    It appears to me that there are too many good secondhand rides out there for sale to put up with "commodity surcharge" crapola. If I ever needed to replace my spyder and knowing what I know now, I wouldn't likely buy a new one. JMHO
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

The U.S. surcharge is now $765. I just ordered a 2022 RT Friday and the dealer told me that they were told prices would be going up soon. He said good thing I didn't wait.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    You got that right. My buddy just bought a pristine 2014 RT Limited with 5000 miles on it. He paid $15,000 and it has easily $4000 worth of goodies on it. That bike has been nothing more than somebody's butt jewelry and never saw a rainy day. A lot of bikes out there like that. I'll never roll another new bike out of a showroom.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    It is a built in $1000 going to stick you fee.

BRP, I am sure has a different explanation for it.
    I would venture a guess and BRP would say their raw materials went up so they have to give that to the customer. In reality, I'm guessing their raw materials went up some but the additional money is being used to fund their development and production of electric Rykers.
    I got lucky last year and got my base F3 for MSRP (14.9k) with no additional markup (Berts Mega Mall). Other dealers were charging an upcharge of $1500-3k just because they could. I had to save two years to buy mine outright so I feel very fortunate I got one when I could.
    Last edited by Pirate; 12-19-2021 at 05:25 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    I would venture a guess and BRP would say their raw materials went up so they have to give that to the customer. In reality, I'm guessing their raw materials went up some but the additional money is being used to fund their development and production of electric Rykers.
    I got lucky last year and got my base F3 for MSRP (14.9k) with no additional markup (Berts Mega Mall). Other dealers were charging an upcharge of $1500-3k just because they could. I had to save two years to buy mine outright so I feel very fortunate I got one when I could.
    When we were visiting San Diego, many restaurants were adding a 5% surcharge to the overall bill (with apologies to the patron) to cover increased costs of labor. It's easier than redoing their entire pricing scheme, I imagine.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Everything costs too much - but I am not going to complain about my Spyder. My pre ordered 2022 RT Limited with armrests and back rest was less than what some dealers are asking for used 2020 and 2021 models with minimal addons. Even going thru the for sale by owner forum - after shipping, arranging used bike financing and accepting someone elses idea of proper farkles, addons and color - I would not save enough to make me want to buy used.

Spyder Garage

I bought used. Yes it was in 2015, but the 2014, 2015 RT's were near $30,000, which I couldn't afford. It took me 18 months to sell my 1990 Goldwing trike and find a 2012 Spyder RTL. I wanted the tan seat which meant I had to find a Lava Bronze. One finally came up. A retired military man had bought it new, put 8500 miles on it and was diagnosed with dementia and was selling all his toys to pay for the nursing home he knew he was going to need. I offered him $15000 and he took it. A virtually new Spyder for half price. It now has 69,500+ and is running very well. I have had some problems with the shift arm, but otherwise all is well. I don't pay add ons like ADP or surcharges. Ask your price up front the whole price and we can go from there. I don't know what kind of deal I could find today, but I think my looking days are over - between retirement and health issues I think I am on my last Spyder.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-19-2021 at 10:40 PM. Reason: 2014,2015 = 2014, 2015 ;-)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

in august i sold my 15 rt-s for 17. i figured that was a good price at the time. i ordered a 22 and felt uneasy about it. So a 21 came up for sale and i bought it. did not want tp pay a crazy fee so i would suggest buy a 21 and save your funds for add ons....with my purchase i saved over 9500.00 so dont wait....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I bought used. Yes it was in 2015, but the 2014, 2015 RT's were near $30,000, which I couldn't afford. It took me 18 months to sell my 1990 Goldwing trike and find a 2012 Spyder RTL. ....
    Yep, Got my new 14 RTS for 25k but out the door was 28K. 2 other dealers were 30K OTD. Took me almost 18 months to sell my HD but I saved $$ by not trading in or putting it on consignment. Lucky, cause second hand HD's were/are a dime a dozen.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-20-2021 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    You got that right. My buddy just bought a pristine 2014 RT Limited with 5000 miles on it. He paid $15,000 and it has easily $4000 worth of goodies on it. That bike has been nothing more than somebody's butt jewelry and never saw a rainy day. A lot of bikes out there like that. I'll never roll another new bike out of a showroom.
    I always say that, then fall in love with something new! I did just get a new, 2017 leftover Honda ST1300, which is exactly like my 2010 ST1300, except for color. I’m selling the 18 Wing, and 2020 RT. Ordered a new Ryker Rally yesterday. So, a little of both!!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    I always say that, then fall in love with something new! I did just get a new, 2017 leftover Honda ST1300, which is exactly like my 2010 ST1300, except for color. I’m selling the 18 Wing, and 2020 RT. Ordered a new Ryker Rally yesterday. So, a little of both!!
    Seems kind of weird a dealer having a new 2017 bike in 2021 but then again my 2019 was new also last May weird how that happens.

Spyder Garage

Default MR jam

I loved my 06 ST1300. the best bike I have ever owned....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-21-2021 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Spaces

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VegasDan View Post
    Everything costs too much - but I am not going to complain about my Spyder. My pre ordered 2022 RT Limited with armrests and back rest was less than what some dealers are asking for used 2020 and 2021 models with minimal addons. Even going thru the for sale by owner forum - after shipping, arranging used bike financing and accepting someone elses idea of proper farkles, addons and color - I would not save enough to make me want to buy used.
    Exactly. When I saw what used bikes were selling for I knew I was going to order a new one. Plus I definitely wanted full led lighting. I never buy new, but in the case of my 2022 RTL, I did. I especially agree with your statement about 'someone elses idea about proper farkles'. The bike is worth so much more because it has all of these add-ons. No, it is worth less because it is not stock and does not give me a stock canvas to build on. That's always been my opinion anyway and apparently Dan's as well. Dealer trade reflects the same.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

I have only bought new bikes my entire riding life. I like knowing I am the first owner, and I having a new vehicle warranty. When I bought my 2021 RT last summer, the best deal I could get was $1,000 below list price for a bike sitting on the showroom floor. But I was offered a good trade in value on my then current bike so I went for it. Life is too short to shortchange yourself over a small amount of money. Ride what you like while you can.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

A number of off-topic & argumentative posts with a couple of others referring to them have been removed iaw the Forum Rules (see the fluro green Forum Rules at the top of each page if you need to review them before posting. ) Just as a reminder, the thread title here is 'Things continue to cost more!' and the subject taken from the first post in this thread is the Commodity Surcharge that's being added to the purchase price & shown on the invoice.

So if you don't want your posts to be removed from the Public Pages, then please try to post within the Rules as outlined.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-27-2021 at 02:12 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 190243 View Post
    Seems kind of weird a dealer having a new 2017 bike in 2021 but then again my 2019 was new also last May weird how that happens.
    My last 900 Vulcan was bought from a dealer. Two years old when I got it. New 2015 purchased in 2017. I bought that for $7,000. They were asking $8,900. I drove it until 2021 and traded it off on a Kawi Mule. Got $4,900 for it in trade.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    Exactly. When I saw what used bikes were selling for I knew I was going to order a new one. Plus I definitely wanted full led lighting. I never buy new, but in the case of my 2022 RTL, I did. I especially agree with your statement about 'someone elses idea about proper farkles'. The bike is worth so much more because it has all of these add-ons. No, it is worth less because it is not stock and does not give me a stock canvas to build on. That's always been my opinion anyway and apparently Dan's as well. Dealer trade reflects the same.
    I used to work with a pawn chain in our firearms and vehicle division. So I was brought into discussions quite often of the "how much is this worth?" type.

I felt really bad telling folks that their $20k custom paint job and $10k wheels and tires or $10k custom interior didnt add a corresponding increase in the value.

That these things were often a wash at best and in some cases detracted from the value as the new owner would look at it as something needing changed.
    I have told people - if you own it, you can do anything you want to. But do it because you want to - dont expect the next guy to pay for it.

Spyder Garage

With all the goodies, I have about $17,880 in my 2015 RTL. The asking prices around here for 2014 - 2016 RTL's is anywhere from $17,900 to $21,900.

Spyder Garage

I know this thread started with the cost we pay for our rides. But I want to add that "Things continue to cost more" applies to almost everything we buy or do. In the past few years I have been able to budget my daily rides to somewhere around $25.00. That included my cost of fuel and a modest lunch. My daily rides are usually between 150 and 250 miles.

This year I have experienced a very noticeable increase in cost for my day's rides. Fuel prices have doubled to where I'm spending $20.00 to $25.00 just for fuel. And all the places I have frequented over the years for lunch have needed to raise prices on order to stay in business. My daily rides now cost closer to $40.00. For some that may not be a big deal. For me it is. I had hoped to get back to doing multi-week touring this next summer. In the past I could budget $200.00 daily for meals, motels, and fuel. I'm afraid I may be chasing rainbows by trying to reasonably afford road trips in the future.

Indeed, things do continue to cost more. And I don't like it..... Jim
    Last edited by canamjhb; 12-27-2021 at 09:07 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I bought used. Yes it was in 2015, but the 2014, 2015 RT's were near $30,000, which I couldn't afford. It took me 18 months to sell my 1990 Goldwing trike and find a 2012 Spyder RTL. I wanted the tan seat which meant I had to find a Lava Bronze. One finally came up. A retired military man had bought it new, put 8500 miles on it and was diagnosed with dementia and was selling all his toys to pay for the nursing home he knew he was going to need. I offered him $15000 and he took it. A virtually new Spyder for half price. It now has 69,500+ and is running very well. I have had some problems with the shift arm, but otherwise all is well. I don't pay add ons like ADP or surcharges. Ask your price up front the whole price and we can go from there. I don't know what kind of deal I could find today, but I think my looking days are over - between retirement and health issues I think I am on my last Spyder.
    Your to young to retire