Thread: ECU problems

Spyder Garage

Default ECU problems

I have a 2021 SLT with 8650 miles on it when it would not start and gave me a code that I was using a wrong key. Had dealer tow it to the shop and after two weeks was told the ECU (electronic control unit) needed to be replaced. Apparently not all shops have the diagnostic equipment to readily diagnose this type of failure thus the two week delay. Hopefully parts will be available in short order. I'm told patience is a virtue. Careful what you pray for.

Wondering if anyone else had similar issues with their Spyder?

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Please See Posts Tips

Welcome to the Spyder Forum. Nice to see your Post Up.

Please post up in the 'General Tab' section of the Forum. If you need help just ask. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

The ECU does not control the key security
    . What you need is a DSS module. or find someone that can turn it off.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I think you mean D.E.S.S. module .....Mike ............OK I just read the post by the O.P. .... I'm not sure the " wrong key " message means it's the DESS module .... when my DESS module failed, the entire screen went ORANGE ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-28-2021 at 09:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply. Working with my dealer and factory techs to resolve issue. they tell me the EUC unit fried??? now I wait for parts. been a month so far.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply. Working with my dealer and factory techs to resolve issue. they tell me the EUC unit fried??? now I wait for parts. been a month so far.

Spyder Garage

Default how to post??

I'm very forum illiterate! I find navigating page very time consuming due to no experience. Is there a place one could go to to get step by step instructions on the proper procedure in posting?

get2work

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by get2work View Post
    I'm very forum illiterate! I find navigating page very time consuming due to no experience. Is there a place one could go to to get step by step instructions on the proper procedure in posting?

get2work
    Not really.... altho there may be some further/specific help &/or guidance in the 'Forum Support & Testing' section if you have a specific thing you want to do - but briefly, if you want to reply to an existing thread, you either click on the '+ Reply to Thread' button (the red button at the top & bottom of each page of a thread) & then type in your reply before hitting 'Submit' (it's not a great help to put any title on a simple post, as not every reader will get to see that ); or you can simply go to below the last post in the thread & type your reply in the 'Quick Reply' text field & then hit 'Post Quick Reply'. If you start out with a 'Quick Reply' & then decide you want to access the greater range of options from the full '+ Reply to Thread' screen, you can select 'Go Advanced' to get there. And I hope that what happens if you hit the 'Cancel' button is self evident!

If you want to start up an entirely new thread, you need to navigate to the main index page for the applicable Forum section FIRST (just click on the section name on the Main Index Page reached by clicking on Forum in the Menu bar just to the right of Home a little bit down from the top of each page & below the SpyderLovers Community Forum banner at the top left of each screen; then selecting & click on the appropriate section; &/or then clicking on one of the subordinate section indexes for those Forum sections with sub-forums) then select '+ Post New Thread' (the red button at the top of each index page) which will take you to what is effectively the same screen as the '+ Reply to Thread' but when you hit 'Submit' it will create a brand new thread instead of tagging your post onto the end of an existing thread, as occurred with your post above! Only when you do start a New Thread, you really do need to add a Title to the first post in your new thread, cos it becomes the Thread Title - preferably it should be a title that briefly asks your question or at least tells any potential readers what you expect to get from the thread. Nb: while it's a good thing to include specific key words to help the various search engine's Boolean search routines identify what you're on about, cos that makes it more likely that the search engine will pick it up, just remember that most readers don't think in Boolean format, so a plain text title that briefly states your question will help them hone in on what you want to know &/or what they are searching for ,and will probably even help others searching for the same or similar info well into the future too! .

If you are still having difficulties or have other questions, you can either start a New Thread in the Forum Support & Testing section with a title briefly asking your question; or you can send me or any other Moderator by clicking on my username (to the left of this post) or that of any other Moderator's posts (Moderator's usernames are shown in Green; Admin's shown in Red; normal Members are shown Blue; Sponsor's usernames are Black - as outlined at the bottom of the Main Index Page reached by clicking on Forum in the Menu bar just to the right of Home a little bit down from the top of each page & below the SpyderLovers Community Forum banner at the top left of each screen ) then selecting 'Private Message' from the drop down list that appears; type in your question; & hit the 'Submit' button in the bottom right of the text field - & we'll answer as soon as we can.

Hope some of that helps, at least a little?!?

Ps: most members find it easier to see everything that's been posted since they last logged on by using the 'What's New' or 'New Posts' searches that are found towards the left hand end of the 2nd to top menu bar; or by clicking on 'Today's Posts' from the drop down list under 'Quick Links' a little further towards the middle of the screen in that same menu bar, which is just above the Sponsor's Banners/Logos
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-04-2022 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Add selecting Forum section/sub-forum info. ;-)
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    It does, and it doesn't. The DESS sends the signal to the key and the key returns its code. The DESS then sends the code to the ECM where the list of allowed keys is stored. The ECM compares the code to the list and if it matches then it issues the command to start. So it is possible, I'm sure, for the DESS to read the key and get back a legit looking code which then the ECM determines is not valid.

Even though ECM failures are pretty much unheard of on this forum, it could happen.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the help, very much appreciated.

Have a Blessed day!