Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What's the one thing you think is Useless Junk on your Spyder?

What's the one thing you wish Can Am would have just left off your bike or made it optional so you couldve just said no? I'll start - for me, I just don't see the point of having a sound system at all. I've been using in-helmet systems since the 80s. Maybe just optional for those who don't use a helmet.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-12-2021 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Spaces for readability.... ;-)
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Kenda tires!!!!!!
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    Whats the one thing you wish Can Am would have just left off your bike or made it optional so you couldve just said no.Ill start,for me I just dont see the point of having a sound system at all.Ive been using in helmet systems since the 80s.Maybe just optional for those who dont use a helmet.
    For me, I don't care for the auto lowering of my windshield every time the key is turned off on our 2020RTL.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    For me, I don't care for the auto lowering of my windshield every time the key is turned off on our 2020RTL.
    That must be a new "feature" cause my 2018 doesn't do that.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What's the one thing you wish Can Am would have just left off your bike or made it optional so you couldve just said no? I'll start - for me, I just don't see the point of having a sound system at all. I've been using in-helmet systems since the 80s. Maybe just optional for those who don't use a helmet.
    and the radio itself really is 'junk'
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Kenda tires!!!!!!
    You wish Can-Am made tires optional?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Key / cable operated seat / frunk latches.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Pushing mode before starting. Safety card itself is more useful as just a reminder for our forgetful selves.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Pushing mode before starting. Safety card itself is more useful as just a reminder for our forgetful selves.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    I used to feel that way, but now I consider it a theft-deterrant.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Including all the above:

The temperature and clock portions of the dash on my 2014 RTS.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

+1 on the sound system. If speakers were optional, with small storage bins in their place, I would have much preferred that. The quality of sound through the speakers is useless when at any significant speed, so unless you ride the Spyder at under 40 mph the speakers are a waste.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    I wonder what their reasoning was for that change, I know having the shield down makes it a little easier to put the cover on but that cant be it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-12-2021 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Spaces ...
    :

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    +1 on the sound system. If speakers were optional, with small storage bins in their place, I would have much preferred that. The quality of sound through the speakers is useless when at any significant speed, so unless you ride the Spyder at under 40 mph the speakers are a waste.
    I could definitely see a much more functional, cooler dash could replace those speakers.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-12-2021 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Spaces ....
    :

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Key / cable operated seat / frunk latches.
    I kinda like the way the key system works, but it seems too complicated and I dont trust it which is why I put hidden release cables on. My GW had key fob controlled locks like a car and it worked fine till 1 week before I traded it in.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-12-2021 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Spaces ....
    :

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wonder what their reasoning was for that change,I know having the shield down makes it a little easier to put the cover on but that cant be it.
    I was just stating that the windshield didn't have to move on every key turn, I like that it's adjustable, just seem to be wearing electrical portions out that are not necessary . BRP's way of bragging that has an electric operated windscreen!

Spyder Garage

None of previous bikes had radio/sound system anything (or windshields for that matter)so found myself rather spoilt when test riding ones without those features.
    Sound system ain’t great by no means, & with the average attentive looks spyders get; so find it fun making loops at various mall/ big store parking lots & neighborhood- playing Christmas music occasionally a youngster will start dancing the “snoopy shuffle “ when they hear https://youtu.be/x6zypc_LhnM. Waves from the adults **note the ST only has 2 4”speakers up front **C1A231FC-7B9A-4213-9C6D-82A402CBD080.jpeg

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I would have gotten rid of the frunk and just put one large radiator in front like a normal motorcycle. I would have streamlined the body panels and would have eliminated (but made an option) the side fog lights. No one needs all that Tupperware. I'm speaking of my F3...I understand the need for the frunk on the touring models.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

more cubbies would be better than the sound system by a long shot.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

On 2021 RT Limited I would have been happy without:

1. The sound system and the Bluetooth comms. Helmet comm systems and a cell phone are a much better system. Can then remove all the electrical control switches and harnesses too.
    2. Connect software. Cellphone systems are much better. The app is not very good.
    3. The air rear suspension. Mine still throws C210A codes constantly. Simple user adjustable pre-load would have been much better like BMW and Triumph motorcycles.
    4. Removable rear trunk. You cannot take it off to carry things off the bike so why not lose all the complexity of having it removable.
    5. Having the gas cap under the seat.
    6. Semi automatic solenoid shifted transmission. Why not a fully automatic box like most cars, with a manual override. Most even small cars have a 6 speed or more decent auto. A manually shifting sport mode, yes, but why not a proper auto box.
    7. The small and difficult to find turn signal switch. Put something a decent size and easier to find, the ergonomics aren't very good for an aerospace manufacturer.
    8. The constant and idiotic reminder about the safety card every time you start the thing. OK, for the first few times you start it, but it gets really annoying after a while. Motorcycles are inherently more dangerous and they don't do this.
    9. Why doesn't the reverse button not just select reverse, why do you have to select the downshift and the reverse button. Seems redundant and overly complex.

Well I nearly got to ten. Ah, thought of another...

10. Get rid of the hard to use left hand menu selector joystick. It's hard to use with gloves on; an up down, left and right set of buttons with a center switch instead, like my TV remote.

YMMV.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

Auto Leveling rear suspension, just go with the manual fill, or put a good shock in there and get rid of the air all together!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I must be in the minority here as I pretty much like mine as it is.

Sure, I could do without the BRP Connect and agree the mode button is aggravating but there's somethings in every vehicle that I have owned that could have been improved upon.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

The delay on start-up telling you to read the safety card. That's one of the most asinine things I've ever seen on a vehicle.

After that; the sound system. Have to agree with others' thoughts about using all of that space for small storage places.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

I could do without the Safety screen at startup.
    My Triumph Trophy SE had a self-parking windshield like my '20 RT. I don't mind it and I think it helps keep the linkages from seizing from lack of use. But I wasn't there when the marketing guys brainstormed the features.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

i saw folks saying they didn't like the sound system , I.m not sure if my RT has the Factory system or not , only got it this July of 2021 . and yes the Radio is Just That , Just a Radio , and I spent some time and effort hunting a Cable to use an Ipod to store the Music I like to listen to , and I adjusted everything , Volume , Bass, Treble , Mids , and Pans , and I LOVE it all so much ... might just be me , but I do like it . and No Commercials , and I don't have to pay every month for the music I want to hear . Just Saying .