Spyder Garage

Default Is the extra 10 HP for the F3 Sport noticeable over the base F3?

Is the extra 10 HP for the F3 Sport noticeable over the base F3? Because I'm a HP junkie but also looking to buy a used 2018 or 2019 F3S but didnt want to limit my search by not considering the Base model F3.

Is there any way to unlock the extra 10HP on the base F3?

Thanks Spyderlovers!
    Steve from NY
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-08-2021 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Prefix - This is a 'How do I?' not a 'How to:' DIY explanation....

Spyder Garage

All the newest Spyders RT and F3 have the same 1330 in line 3 cylinder engine producing 115 hp. I have not heard of any different in hp from one to the other.
    Where did you see the F3s had 10 more hp?
    Last edited by Partzman23; 12-07-2021 at 09:32 PM. Reason: SPELLING
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't know if there is a difference now, but the F3 was rated 105 horsepower at 6,000 RPM and the F3S was rated 115 horsepower at 7,250 RPM.

I doubt there was any noticeable difference at reasonable RPMs.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Less than 10% increase IMHO isn't going to surprise you in the acceleration dept. .... and considering what it is going cost you needs to be considered ..... However there is an easy alternative .... " MONSTER FUEL " .... and how like re-program your ECU in any 1330 or V-twin .... check the posts on this Forum from folks who have done it .... I think it's still less then $400.00 to do and imho well worth it .... good luck ... Mike ......PS,

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a base 2020 F3 SE6 and don't miss the "extra" 10 HP and 10 MPH. I have plenty of fun on it

Now what you will miss if you get the F3S is the ability to tow a trailer if you so desire.

The bigger sprocket on the F3S takes away your ability to tow anything.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 12-08-2021 at 12:39 AM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    I have a "regular" 2020 F3 and don't miss the "extra" 10 HP and 10 MPH. I have plenty of fun on it

Now what you will miss if you get the F3S is the ability to tow a trailer if you so desire. The bigger sprocket on the F3S takes away your ability to tow anything.
    Is that what Can-Am says, or are you conjecturing?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I have a base 2020 F3 SE6 and don't miss the "extra" 10 HP and 10 MPH. I have plenty of fun on it

Now what you will miss if you get the F3S is the ability to tow a trailer if you so desire.

The bigger sprocket on the F3S takes away your ability to tow anything.
    IMHO having a bigger rear Sprocket is going to produce MORE torque, which I think Benefits the ability to tow ........... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sarecco1 View Post
    Is the extra 10 HP for the F3 Sport noticeable over the base F3? Because I'm a HP junkie but also looking to buy a used 2018 or 2019 F3S but didnt want to limit my search by not considering the Base model F3.

Is there any way to unlock the extra 10HP on the base F3?

Thanks Spyderlovers!
    Steve from NY
    I believe you probably could by changing out the rear sprocket and remapping the ECU. BRP had a picture of the differences between the 21 and under base F3's and the 22 base F3. I don't think the 10hp would make a drastic change but more of a subtle one. If you can afford the F3s and are a "HP junkie" then that's what I would gravitate towards. Myself, I am more of a cruiser not a racer so the base F3 is fine with me. I don't need the remapping, Pedal Commander, etc.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    I believe you probably could by changing out the rear sprocket and remapping the ECU. BRP had a picture of the differences between the 21 and under base F3's and the 22 base F3. I don't think the 10hp would make a drastic change but more of a subtle one. If you can afford the F3s and are a "HP junkie" then that's what I would gravitate towards. Myself, I am more of a cruiser not a racer so the base F3 is fine with me. I don't need the remapping, Pedal Commander, etc.
    While that might be theoretically possible, AFAIK no one has managed to successfully change the rear sprocket & re-map to avoid the errors & Limp Home conditions that result! BRP have been very successful in their efforts to ensure that changing the sprocket from one size to another is not a viable option!

Basically, it seems that if you've got a given sprocket, then you've gotta keep that given sprocket size! That said sarecco, re-mapping the ECU to gain/re-gain that extra engine power and then some should be quite feasible; but you'd still hafta work with the same sprocket to get it to the ground.... There are tuners in North America (& here in Oz too, where we've got one of the best in ECU Xtreme/RotaxRacing ) who do this for the higher powered Spyders & Rykers already (think Monster Performance & Wick-It ) so accessing all that untapped power without changing the rear sprocket shouldn't be too hard, just a bit of a cost!

Besides, changing your rear sprocket for a larger one won't increase the engine torque; give you more mid range; or change the engine power curve in any way. It will only alter the torque delivered to the ground/at the rear wheel across the entire rev range. So if you could change the rear sprocket for a larger one, without changing the rev limit (which is also safely do-able via a re-map! ) the bike should accelerate faster through the gears but you would loose out on top speed.... IF you could successfully change the rear sprocket - but that's proving to be more than a little difficult!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-08-2021 at 02:40 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

2020 and prior base F3's were rated 10hp less than the other F3/RT models. That changed in 2021. The extra 10hp was likely gained thru ECU timing differences. As said in a prior post, the extra 10hp is likely unnoticeable, and can be altered with a ECU flash/PV3.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

In simple terms, if you do the pounds per horsepower of a loaded and fueled Spyder, for an F3 series it is likely around 11 lbs / HP.

A decent stock sport bike is 5 lbs / HP.

Spyder would need to make 200 HP to be close.

Spyder Garage

Yes PMK, that is a good thing to remind our selves of. The 1330 is quick enough for me as i turn 60 yrs old. Just want the most HP that is available when i decide to purchase my next F3.

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO having a bigger rear Sprocket is going to produce MORE torque, which I think Benefits the ability to tow ........... Mike
    I'm just going off of what F3S drivers are telling me from the group I ride with. They all have stated that it is not recommended by BRP to tow with an F3S due to the sprocket size.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm just going off of what F3S drivers are telling me from the group I ride with. They all have stated that it is not recommended by BRP to tow with an F3S due to the sprocket size.
    The not towing with the F3S is not due to the rear sprocket size. The sprocket size on the Current (and all) F3S is the same as on the F3T from 2016, 2017, and 2016 F3 Limited. The larger sprocket makes for better off line acceleration and also turns 6th gear into more of a pulling gear than just an overdrive. So the larger sprocket does not make you loose top end like some have said. If you want more power with the current F3 base, just get a computer remap and pedal commander. You will have all that you want, and able to stick with or beat any F3S. But the things that you will not have are the better shocks and cruise control (standard on the F3S). The smaller sprocket has made its way to all the spyder lineup, except for the F3S. I think that is to keep it as the supreme sport version. But as I stated earlier, in 2016, it was in the entire F3 series lineup. That is before the Limited version got the top box. In fact, when I talked to a local dealership (in 2017), they even suggested that if I wanted a limited, to go with a 2016, and add the top box. They said I would thank them for the added acceleration earlier. As for the larger sprocket making gas milage poorer, that is also not true. I have a 7 gallon tank on my 2016 F3T and get more range than both of my buddies on their 2020 RTL. Not sure if the above is documented by BRP, but this is all real world facts from someone who has owned the larger and smaller sprocket versions of the 1330, as well as a 2012 RSS.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Without any boosts, I have managed to turn "nanny" on twice and got stopped for a "friendly" convrersation by a local Sheriff Deputy.

I'm good.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If a HP vs RPM graph can be found, I would be very surprised if there is any difference in HP between the 105 HP model and 115 HP model, at or below 6,000 RPMs.
    Keep in mind that torque peaks at 5,000 RPM.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

There's no problem towing with an F3S (a 2019 model is what I have direct knowledge of.) You just can't use a BRP hitch. Pierre at canamspyderaccessories.com has one for the F3S and it's very straightforward to install. I believe Lamont has one as well but would have to double-check that.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    There's no problem towing with an F3S (a 2019 model is what I have direct knowledge of.) You just can't use a BRP hitch. Pierre at canamspyderaccessories.com has one for the F3S and it's very straightforward to install. I believe Lamont has one as well but would have to double-check that.
    .... basically BRP doesn't recommend TOWING with the F3s because they don't sell a hitch for it ..... same thing happened when BRP made the GS and RS models ...... jmho .... Mike