Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Looking for a DIY way on fender lighting

I'm considering adding LEDs to the orange side reflectors and rear red one on the fenders. I did a search and found a few suggestions of kits, but not really into paying that much for something I can likely do myself for 1/10 the cost if I can find the right rope style LEDs. Not planning anything fancy; just running lights inside said reflectors.

I did find this from Mike though.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Years ago I DIY'ed a pair of very thin ( 4mm ) amber LED strips to the outside edges on my front fenders ( RT basic ). Because they were thin I was able to follow the ARC of the fender perfectly. I tapped into the Fender TIP lights so it was pretty easy to do ..... Mike
    I've been doing lots of wrenching including electrical since I first started riding back in the late 60s, so tackling a DIY with basic supplies isn't a big deal. Finding the supplies is the thing that holds me back the most though.

TIA
    Last edited by cruisinTX; 12-06-2021 at 01:31 PM.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Have a look here maybe,

https://www.oznium.com/
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

just running lights inside said reflectors.
    Aren't the reflectors sealed? Have you unsealed them yet?
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

THANK YOU! I searched around that page a little and found what I hope will be the perfect set-up. All I need to do now is verify that the side and rear reflectors on our Spyders are hollow behind so I can mount the LED strips there without doing a bunch of Dremel cutting. So, now just waiting for that & I'm ready to order these.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    I'm considering adding LEDs to the orange side reflectors and rear red one on the fenders. I did a search and found a few suggestions of kits, but not really into paying that much for something I can likely do myself for 1/10 the cost if I can find the right rope style LEDs. Not planning anything fancy; just running lights inside said reflectors.

I did find this from Mike though.

I've been doing lots of wrenching including electrical since I first started riding back in the late 60s, so tackling a DIY with basic supplies isn't a big deal. Finding the supplies is the thing that holds me back the most though.

TIA
    I still have the very thin LED's on my 14 RT fenders. .... and because I was able to mount them on the TOP outside edges of the fenders they are very visible from the side also .... I had the amber ( on fenders ) and red ( on side bags ) Reflectors like you have ..... I'm seriously a DIY'er and I removed ONLY the REAR reflectors .... and replaced them with small rectangular RED LED ( known as marker lights ). I then cut the points off the reflectors and added them to the ends of the new LED's . Yes when lit they are rectangular, but when off they look just like they did before. ..... I looked at the LINK to oznium and they are 5mm wide , but only 7 inches long .... mine are 17 inches long ..... I would see what E-bay has available now .... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-06-2021 at 07:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike.

In my search around Oznium, I ran across sets that they say are flexible in every direction. and a large variety of lengths. This is something they may have added since you did yours. The side reflectors measure ~10.5" and the rear ones ~5.5". Oznium flexibles come in 9.5 and 4.7 lengths now. So, the only thing left for me is knowing if there is room to put those small strips behind the reflectors. I'm guessing since you removed yours, you will know exactly how much space is behind them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I can't say for sure if they are hollow or not. I can tell you that there is a black piece recessed into the back of the front amber reflectors for the mounting tape to affix to. I can move the very tip of it but didnt want to break them just in case I wanted to put them back on later. (I really doubt that I will though)
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    Aren't the reflectors sealed? Have you unsealed them yet?
    Haven't done anything yet. Just waiting on advice from knowledgeable folks here before diving in and screwing something up. BlueKnight has indicated he did something similar a while back. Waiting on one more response from him or someone else who is familiar with how much space there is behind the reflectors and how difficult it will be to remove them without breakage.
    Last edited by cruisinTX; 12-06-2021 at 06:33 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My interpretation of Mike's light installation:

Front: added "very thin" LEDs to the "outside edges" of the fenders so they would be visible from the side like BRP reflectors are; did NOT modify the BRP reflectors

Rear: removed BRP reflectors from saddlebags; cut tips off; reinstalled the tips along with two "small rectangular" LEDs per saddlebag

amirite?

Spyder Garage

Dunno, when he said he removed "all four reflectors" the only thing I could envision was the sides of the fenders and maybe the back ones or the sides of the saddlebags. I'm in no big hurry as this is a winter project so I can wait for clarification. Even better would be a picture or two (hint-hint Mike?)

Is there a parts fiche somewhere that might show an exploded view of how the reflectors are fitted to the fenders?

Took some digging, but I found this one showing "Pressure nuts" holding the reflectors on. Gonna take a closer look in the morning to see if I can decipher how to remove them without breaking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cruisinTX; 12-06-2021 at 07:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike.

In my search around Oznium, I ran across sets that they say are flexible in every direction. and a large variety of lengths. This is something they may have added since you did yours. The side reflectors measure ~10.5" and the rear ones ~5.5". Oznium flexibles come in 9.5 and 4.7 lengths now. So, the only thing left for me is knowing if there is room to put those small strips behind the reflectors. I'm guessing since you removed yours, you will know exactly how much space is behind them.
    OK ... they are only slightly recessed, I thought about using LED's Behind them and dis-carded that idea.... and what the reflectors are on the NEW Style fenders won't apply to what I did .... in 14 the NEW style came out on the RTS and LTD. models .... a couple of after Market vendors have plug-n-play LED's for that application ...they arn't as cheap as DIY, however they are available.... WIDTH of LED strips --- my 4mm strip was able to curve / arc exactly to the fender curve/arc .... because they are thin enough to allow it .... I have other " normal " width LED strips that woulfn't work ... I know this because I tried it that way first.... Don't write off E-bay as a source for LED's - they have hundred's & hundred's of choices ... and Yes mine are IP 67 (?) certified.... I also got the small rectangular " marker lights there..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    I can't say for sure if they are hollow or not. I can tell you that there is a black piece recessed into the back of the front amber reflectors for the mounting tape to affix to. I can move the very tip of it but didnt want to break them just in case I wanted to put them back on later. (I really doubt that I will though)
    They arn't hollow, just are made in two pieces, a front ( amber/red ) and a back blk plastic sandwich .... I lifted one corner and then used DENTAL FLOSS to cut through the adhesive. after adding the LED's the front was easy to wire directly to the TIP light .... the rear needed a bit more wire nto power them ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

So, do you (or anyone else) know how those kits mount? Are they designed to remove the reflectors then mount the LEDs & replace the reflectors? If that's the way they work, then the strips I've been looking at from Oznium might work. I'll have to go back and look at their dimensions, but recall from the earlier read, they are very small.

Mine is a 2014 RT-L

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike.

I have changed my original post #5 to read " I only did the saddlebag rear reflectors " .... because the front AMBER LED strips worked .... I have made 80+ changes to my 14 RT so remembering them all is difficult now at 74 .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Hey Cruisin

You didn't mention what year RT you have. I have a set of both amber and red front fender reflectors off a 14 RTL (maybe saddle bag refl if I can find them). If you want these to noodle out your project, send me your adress and I'll get them to you.

Merry Christmas
    2014 RT Limted, platinum, with matching 622 trailer.

Ultimate tall boy seat w/adjustable back rest, Corbin armrests, Spyderpops bumpskid & missing belt guard, BRP side air vents, Lamonster lidlox, cargo nets, Stebel air horn, Wrap my spyder accents......and more

Spyder Garage

So, do you (or anyone else) know how those kits mount? Are they designed to remove the reflectors then mount the LEDs & replace the reflectors? If that's the way they work, then the strips I've been looking at from Oznium might work. I'll have to go back and look at their dimensions, but recall from the earlier read, they are very small.

Mine is a 2014 RT-L
    Read my additional posts ... #11, #12, & #14 .... an explanation about WHY 4mm LED strips work on the fenders ::: the strips have make a COMPOUND Curve, a wider strip can't do it ( without using a DANGEROUS amount of heat )..... Mike ....Sorry but I can't do PICS , I don't think they would help much anyway.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rmag View Post
    Hey Cruisin

You didn't mention what year RT you have. I have a set of both amber and red front fender reflectors off a 14 RTL (maybe saddle bag refl if I can find them). If you want these to noodle out your project, send me your adress and I'll get them to you.

Merry Christmas
    rmag - He has 14 RTL listed at the bottom of His starter post / thread ..... so yours would solve His issue - Thanks for chiming in ..... Toooooooooooooooooooo bad this wasn't known sooner -- I don't type for Squat .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Appreciate the feedback; will check out E-bay and maybe do a partial disassembly before proceeding. There's always a chance something better is out there.

So, does using the whole age vs. memory thing . . . . where was I going with that? OH never mind!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rmag View Post
    Hey Cruisin

Merry Christmas
    That would be fantastic for my 2014RT. Let me know how much the shipping is; that's the very least I can do. Will PM shipping info.

thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

More common terms for p/n 250100163 are Push Nut, Speed Clip and Starlock Washer.
    250100163 Push Nut.jpg

Spyder Garage

If this is the style fenders you have, here is a couple of pics that shows that they aren't hollow behind. The OEM reflectors are held on with push nuts and the lighted ones that I installed were stuck with adhesive. Hope this helps.IMG_1599[1].jpg
    2013 STS , OEM Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage
    2013 STS , OEM Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

fetermel, That is a HUGE help! Thank you.

Spyder Garage

Mine is a 2014 RT-L
    The after market kits are sealed units that come with mounting tape attached for easy installation. They replace the entire reflector. You drill one hole behind old reflector location to connect power to running/signal lights. Usually plug and play connections. The original reflector is not hollow.

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The connector in fetermel's picture is an AMP/Tyco SuperSeal available on Amazon.