Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Can't wait to see how his tires balance out!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Agree...long thread...windshield. front kendas were supposedly balanced...2 diff dealers ck'd them. These new continentals I have on there that replace the Kendas we're supposedly balanced.
    Life's short...Play it by ear and ryde!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bayoumanPIBE View Post
    Agree...long thread...windshield. front kendas were supposedly balanced...2 diff dealers ck'd them. These new continentals I have on there that replace the Kendas we're supposedly balanced.
    I still really think you need to concentrate on the rear wheel drive system. You haven't answered any of my questions, or have you and I missed your response?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

This might be a silly suggestion, but...

If you're going to remove the belt and inspection BOTH pulleys, try reversing the direction of the drive belt?
    I may be dreaming. But, I hope to get a Spyder or Ryker, soon.

Just read through "Do-s-and-Do-Nots-for-new-Spyder-owners" and the following posts. Lots of good/helpful info.
    Lots of other forums could go to school on this.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GrampaEJ View Post
    This might be a silly suggestion, but...

If you're going to remove the belt and inspection BOTH pulleys, try reversing the direction of the drive belt?
    No it's not a Silly suggestion. Taking a GUESS about something and advising someone else to do it, is not something anyone should do ...JMHO ..... I have a spare BRP belt and it has an ARROW indicating the direction of travel. ( this advice is FACT not a Guess )..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Maybe I missed it, but did this guy get a road force balance on the front tires or just a regular. I’m still a big believer that road force is far superior to regular balance job.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-12-2022 at 11:37 AM. Reason: spaces....
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

IMHO, most of the issues described at the speeds mentioned sound like wind buffeting to me. But there is also the likelihood of multiple issues happening at the same time. Wind buffeting along with unbalanced or defective tires, some belt vibrations added in...
    I would make sure the tires do not have balance beads installed and are clean and dry inside. Then have them re-balanced by a good shop or do them yourselves with a Marc Parnes balancer for the Spyder. It worked great on my bike. Belt vibrations are minor but I can understand that added into the mix of other vibrations it is frustrating. I would also carefully look at the front fairing for cracks or looseness. I added an X-creen wind deflector on my windshields. I tried 4 different windshields and found that they all have buffeting at different speeds depending on the height and characteristics of the shield. The X-creen helps you adjust for that. For example the Blue Ridge windshield is awful at anything over 50mph but with an X-creen on it and adjusted the buffeting went away. Now I'm using a MadStad windshield. I like its adjust-ability but I still found that it was even better with an X-creen on it.
    I wish you good luck with solving your problems, you'll get there eventually!

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

@spyder01 - The wheels were upgraded to PPA's using the stock Kendas during the build-from-crate process. I'm currently on new Continental fronts hoping it was the Kendas causing the issue. Both sets of front tires (Kendas and Continentals) were 'standard' balanced at least 2 times each.

I researched Hunter's road force balancing last year. There are local places (tire shops, car dealerships) who do offer road force balancing...however, none have the setup for this small of a wheel or their insurance liability will not allow them to work on wheel which are not car/trucks. I'm currently trying to look out further around the mid-west for a road force, but life's rather restricting making it harder to keep this scooby doo mystery going at all.

I did swap wheels with a friend who rides stock (but, non Kenda rubber) and the shaking was still there. So, road force balancing might help, might not based off this...still want to try though.

@Yabbadabbadoo - I totally agree about the large # of many variables. My size, weight, height, riding style, wind, shocks...on and on and on...guess I was too much of an overachiever getting aftermarket items added before ever riding it fully stocked. My setup could work perfectly for someone else...there are a few who said they don't feel much out of the ordinary...and they said I was crazy or smoking 'weed'. I am not making this up...very frustrating.

I knew I was going to have to dial this bike in to fit me, but crap...wish I'd kept the stock items (instead trading them for labor costs) so I can put them all back on...make sure it's working, and then start adding the aftermarket items 1 at a time. I asked the orig dealer to do this, but did not happen. I asked the local dealer; won't happen. BRP will not enforce with any dealership as well. I was told by BRP they won't go any further or enforce the dealer to go further due to the amount of aftermarket parts even though I (myself) did not build the bike or add the aftermarket parts on the thing.

I've been doing what the dealer and BRP should have done.

I'll see how the wheel checks out this week and go from there...hate it the thread is so long...just reinforces how messed up this all is and how wordy I am. I'll try to update ya'll again.

Thanks for the luck wishes...my finances, time and sanity are not going to allow me to do this much longer which sucks because riding helps the sanity.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Or an 'out of true' rear tire??

Heck, shaking like that could even be cos the sprocket isn't 'clocked' correctly on the rear rim or the cush rubbers didn't get put in correctly - or have the newer models done away with all that?

There's LOTS of potential causes for shaking like that, but once all the obvious & easy to identify stuff has been excluded (as it seems to have been here... ) they can be really hard to track down, even if the tech is skilled, knows Spyders, and is competent in applying their skills & knowledge! And if the tech ISN'T all of those things, it sounds like you'll be paying for someone to learn all about it & how to troubleshoot on your Spyder PIBE, which might create a whole 'nuther set of problems!!

Any chance there are Lemon Laws that might apply in Missouri??
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    You replaced the front tires, but not the rear. Right? Have you examined the rear tire closely? Maybe there's a broken belt, or a separated belt, in it. Or maybe it was simply molded incorrectly. It is a Kenda, right? I really think the shaking is coming from the drive system somewhere. I can't imagine how there would be a defect in the drive belt, but maybe....... Or as Peter mentioned, maybe the pulley is not correctly seated in the rear wheel. Have you had the drive pulley off of the rear tire? Sorry if you've already said so but I just don't remember what all you have written so far. If one of the rubber blocks is installed incorrectly, or is missing, I can see how that would upset the system.
    Given everything you've been through/tried/had done to this & what you've told us so far, altho it has been mentioned earlier, I'm now beginning to think even more than before that there's a good chance that the real cause of all this shaking since the very beginning has been a dodgy rear tire!?!

The rear tire seems to be pretty much the only thing that hasn't been addressed in some way/to some degree, and you wouldn't be alone if you now discovered that simply changing the rear tire for a good quality a/mkt car tire in a suitable size (saaay 205/60 or 65??) and then running it at 16-18 psi didn't resolve the shaking you've been experiencing.... More than just a few frustrated Spyder Owners have eventually found their dodgy OE spec Kenda REAR tire to be the cause of all sorts of elusive shaking & vibration issues initially thought to be front tires, or dodgy bearings, ball joints, etc, etc!

Has ANYONE ever seriously looked at the rear tire &/or wheel assembly?? Has anyone ever checked the rear wheel &/or tire for run-out & roundness? How much total balancing weight is there on the rim? Where is that weight located? Does the tire have even tread wear both across the face & around the wheel? Is there any scalloping or any flat spots evident on the tread? How worn over-all is the tread? And the list goes on..... and on..... .

At this stage of your saga, checking this sorta stuff has gotta be at least worth a shot; and even if you don't feel inclined to replace the OE Kenda with a proper car tire (it IS still a Kenda, isn't it?? ) at least give it a thorough inspection, preferably off the rim - it might be very enlightening! And as others have discovered, it might even finally resolve your elusive shaking &/or steering issues too! Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Given everything you've been through/tried/had done to this & what you've told us so far, altho it has been mentioned earlier, I'm now beginning to think even more than before that there's a good chance that the real cause of all this shaking since the very beginning has been a dodgy rear tire!?!

The rear tire seems to be pretty much the only thing that hasn't been addressed in some way/to some degree, and you wouldn't be alone if you now discovered that simply changing the rear tire for a good quality a/mkt car tire in a suitable size (saaay 205/60 or 65??) and then running it at 16-18 psi didn't resolve the shaking you've been experiencing.... More than just a few frustrated Spyder Owners have eventually found their dodgy OE spec Kenda REAR tire to be the cause of all sorts of elusive shaking & vibration issues initially thought to be front tires, or dodgy bearings, ball joints, etc, etc!

Has ANYONE ever seriously looked at the rear tire &/or wheel assembly?? Has anyone ever checked the rear wheel &/or tire for run-out & roundness? How much total balancing weight is there on the rim? Where is that weight located? Does the tire have even tread wear both across the face & around the wheel? Is there any scalloping or any flat spots evident on the tread? How worn over-all is the tread? And the list goes on..... and on..... .

At this stage of your saga, checking this sorta stuff has gotta be at least worth a shot; and even if you don't feel inclined to replace the OE Kenda with a proper car tire (it IS still a Kenda, isn't it?? ) at least give it a thorough inspection, preferably off the rim - it might be very enlightening! And as others have discovered, it might even finally resolve your elusive shaking &/or steering issues too! Good Luck!
    .... part of the problem is the amount of info the OP has put on this Thread .... remembering what has and hasn't been tried plus what can be eliminated gives me a headache ..... Knowing what you and I and others about the Crapenda's it's hard to eliminate it
    / them as the cause ..... JMHO ./... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-08-2022 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Agree Mike...it's a lot. I'd rather be sharing vacations or helping other ryders. I appreciate ya'll reading and keeping up...weird journey for the bike alone on top of personal life. I'm trying to use less words to make it smoother.

No, Peter...no one has blinked at the rear. I have an appt for tomorrow morning for the local dealer to take it off and scour it, the tire, etc. as detailed as possible. I'm not against any idea, if I can do it myself and/or afford it...been doing that up to this point.

So, if the rear wheel balances and the rubber is fine and they can't find anything...just as what happened with the fronts (Kendas), what then...mark the rear off the list of possibilities? I'm not against buying another tire...but, I already hate I spent more money for front rubber when I didn't have to...was planning on replacing all Kendas after a while of riding on them...since I already spent so much money on the bike and aftermarket items.

Spyder Garage

Agree Mike...it's a lot. I'd rather be sharing vacations or helping other ryders. I appreciate ya'll reading and keeping up...weird journey for the bike alone on top of personal life. I'm trying to use less words to make it smoother.

No, Peter...no one has blinked at the rear. I have an appt for tomorrow morning for the local dealer to take it off and scour it, the tire, etc. as detailed as possible. I'm not against any idea, if I can do it myself and/or afford it...been doing that up to this point.

So, if the rear wheel balances and the rubber is fine and they can't find anything...just as what happened with the fronts (Kendas), what then...mark the rear off the list of possibilities? I'm not against buying another tire...but, I already hate I spent more money for front rubber when I didn't have to...was planning on replacing all Kendas after a while of riding on them...since I already spent so much money on the bike and aftermarket items.
    If the REAR tire is checked for BALANCE ....IMHO it Must be done on a high speed SPIN balancer .... Road Force would be nice , but not necessary ..... all the BEST .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I'm not at all convinced that too many Spyder dealers will have the knowledge let alone the skills & experience to truly inspect any tire for anything more than obvious & superficial defects/failures.... and if no-one's jumped up & down about it already, then any issue with the rear tire isn't all that likely to be obvious &/or superficial!

Whoever does it, they'll need to check for run-out & roundness BEFORE removing the wheel assy from the Spyder, and if they don't find any issues there, check it for balance & any associated 'on the rim' issues before stripping the tire and carefully inspecting it inside & out for any defects in construction &/or damage - and that will take a knowledgeable AND skilled & experienced tire technician, not just a mechanic or tech who's mounted a few tires, or even a couple of hundred tires - it's a whole 'nuther world of training & 'honed thru practice on-the-job' skills !! And finding a tire tech with that level of training & on-the-job skills might not be all that easy - they just don't train 'em these days like they used to!

That's why most people just bite the bullet at the 'checked everything else except the physical condition of the tires' stage & just swap them out - it's generally easier & often cheaper than finding an appropriately trained & skilled tire tech.... which probably should answer the questions in the last para I quoted above. But maybe you might be comforted by the fact that you aren't alone in this - there are a number of threads on the Forum, albeit many of them older now, where people have chased similar shakes/vibrations &/or handling & ride issues, altho some just change out all the tires early on & most of those seem to have no further issues; while others continue in much the same way you have, expending quite a bit of money in the process, only to end up (finally... ) changing out ALL the tires to something (anything! ) other than Kendas - and for pretty much all of those, miraculously, the 'untraceable' shakes/vibrations disappear with the last of their Kendas!

Now I'm not saying this is a sure thing for you, but I really don't recall anyone else having this sort of 'untraceable' shake/vibration issue that's eventually been driven to changing out all the tires as a last resort because every other option has been exhausted who has continued to have said issues.... Generally, the result is something along the lines of 'Why didn't I just do this FIRST?!?'...

And really, since you were going to swap out the Kendas eventually anyway, why not do it now on the chance that it WILL resolve those shakes?? At the very least you'll then KNOW that it's not the tires, and the list of potential causes will have been reduced by one item that's proven to be the cause of similar shakes in numerous instances.... But hopefully, like in so many of those other instances, it'll resolve your issues too?!?

Here's hoping!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-09-2022 at 09:14 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I'm not at all convinced that too many Spyder dealers will have the knowledge let alone the skills & experience to truly inspect any tire for anything more than obvious & superficial defects/failures.... and if no-one's jumped up & down about it already, then any issue with the rear tire isn't all that likely to be obvious &/or superficial!

Whoever does it, they'll need to check for run-out & roundness BEFORE removing the wheel assy from the Spyder, and if they don't find any issues there, check it for balance & any associated 'on the rim' issues before stripping the tire and carefully inspecting it inside & out for any defects in construction &/or damage - and that will take a knowledgeable AND skilled & experienced tire technician, not just a mechanic or tech who's mounted a few tires, or even a couple of hundred tires - it's a whole 'nuther world of training & 'honed thru practice on-the-job' skills !! And finding a tire tech with that level of training & on-the-job skills might not be all that easy - they just don't train 'em these days like they used to!

That's why most people just bite the bullet at the 'checked everything else except the physical condition of the tires' stage & just swap them out - it's generally easier & often cheaper than finding an appropriately trained & skilled tire tech.... which probably should answer the questions in the last para I quoted above. But maybe you might be comforted by the fact that you aren't alone in this - there are a number of threads on the Forum, albeit many of them older now, where people have chased similar shakes/vibrations &/or handling & ride issues, altho some just change out all the tires early on & most of those seem to have no further issues; while others continue in much the same way you have, expending quite a bit of money in the process, only to end up (finally... ) changing out ALL the tires to something (anything! ) other than Kendas - and for pretty much all of those, miraculously, the 'untraceable' shakes/vibrations disappear with the last of their Kendas!

Now I'm not saying this is a sure thing for you, but I really don't recall anyone else having this sort of 'untraceable' shake/vibration issue that's eventually been driven to changing out all the tires as a last resort because every other option has been exhausted who has continued to have said issues.... Generally, the result is something along the lines of 'Why didn't I just do this FIRST?!?'...

And really, since you were going to swap out the Kendas eventually anyway, why not do it now on the chance that it WILL resolve those shakes?? At the very least you'll then KNOW that it's not the tires, and the list of potential causes will have been reduced by one item that's proven to be the cause of similar shakes in numerous instances.... But hopefully, like in so many of those other instances, it'll resolve your issues too?!?

Here's hoping!
    ........I see you have a 21 F-3 .... it's still under warranty ... If that rear Kenda is defective it Should re-placed under warranty ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Update: She rides really smooth now. But, she can be better. Thus far, it's like a washing machine that's back on balance, and now needs a wedge under a leg...was shaking that bad.

The fix: @Peter Aawen - The rear wheel was out of balance. The local dealership said there was 6.25oz of weight on it. They could not get it balanced with or without the weights. They flipped / 180'd the tire on the rim, balanced it twice getting the weight down to 2.75oz. They said anything over 3oz is not good (idk if it's true).

They could not test drive due to the snow, but I could and did...as well as yesterday all day in high winds. I still can't get over the fact of how much smoother she is... I test rode leaving the belt tensioner raised...rode smooth, but she had a bit of that emphasis grinding sound and vibrations under me. Then lowered the tensioner back on the belt...as expected, it eliminated the grinding sound / vibration.

So, almost to the point of where I should've started day 1. The dealer balanced it out, but there's still some shaking. So, I'm getting a new rear to replace the already factory new rubber like the fronts.

All I can find are these Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R15. I rode on this for a while on my ST-S...tread wore faster than the Kendas though...so, looking for another brand. This size is hard to find.

I'm not gone, but just need to say ya'll are wonderful and much appreciated...going out of ya'lls way to read this long unnecessary legacy tale while being virtual mechanics respectfully suggesting possible tests and fixes. Thank you friends...look forward to future SpyderLovers comms and rydes with all I get the pleasure to meet.

Spyder Garage

All I can find are these Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R15. I rode on this for a while on my ST-S...tread wore faster than the Kendas though...so, looking for another brand. This size is hard to find.
    That's right. The OEM size pretty much does not exist in any tire brand other than Kenda and Kumho. Don't get hung up on looking for an OEM size. There is NO benefit to sticking with it. Look for a 215/60R15. That size fits quite nicely, and will bring the speedo closer to actual speed. As you have undoubtedly read here the General Altimax and Vredestein Quatrac are quite popular. I'm running a Cooper CS5 Grand Touring. It's been working good. As far as changing sizes my local tire dealer says there is no issue going up or down one width size, and seldom any problem going two sizes up or down. But don't go three sizes. That's when you risk the tire to rim fit.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Hahaha…..I read the thread heading, and thought I’d get some belt tension tips……and it has turned into a tyre thread
    Those tyre threads manage to pop up everywhere.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

@Peteoz - sorry about the title...this thread did go around the world. I cannot find a way to edit it...if someone knows, please let me know.

Spyder Garage

@Peteoz - sorry about the title...this thread did go around the world. I cannot find a way to edit it...if someone knows, please let me know.
    The subject line did make sense in the beginning as that was the rabbit you thought you were chasing! Use the contact button at the bottom of the page to ask the admin to change the title.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Some members have had success using these to help balance their tires, https://www.lamonstergarage.com/cent...ster-approved/
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Hahaha…..I read the thread heading, and thought I’d get some belt tension tips……and it has turned into a tyre thread
    Those tyre threads manage to pop up everywhere.

Pete
    Just added to the thread title... Does the amended title (see below) work for you now??

Why does lowering the belt tension help shaking? Now on to Tires!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Got my rear tire mounted/balanced last week. Weather and life has prevented thorough test riding. There's not much of a difference...still shakes, but not near as bad as the almost entire 1st year of owning. The tread on the not-old former rear Kenda was worn pretty bad as well...fyi.

There's nothing more I 'personally' can do other than tweak the shocks, tire pressures and belt tension. If I can find anyone with a road force balancer within a reasonable distance who has the parts (cone, etc.) for balancing, I'll do that...

For now, I'm enjoying the ryde even though it's not what I paid for...just wanted to update all.

cya.

Spyder Garage

Just added to the thread title... Does the amended title (see below) work for you now??

Why does lowering the belt tension help shaking? Now on to Tires!
    Thanks for updating the header!

Spyder Garage

Got my rear tire mounted/balanced last week. Weather and life has prevented thorough test riding. There's not much of a difference...still shakes, but not near as bad as the almost entire 1st year of owning. The tread on the not-old former rear Kenda was worn pretty bad as well...fyi.

There's nothing more I 'personally' can do other than tweak the shocks, tire pressures and belt tension. If I can find anyone with a road force balancer within a reasonable distance who has the parts (cone, etc.) for balancing, I'll do that...

For now, I'm enjoying the ryde even though it's not what I paid for...just wanted to update all.

cya.
    You use the term " Shaking " .... to me this is way more serious than " vibes " ..... you have issues that can't be fixed from a computer keyboard .... I hope you can get it solved , .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    No it's not a Silly suggestion. Taking a GUESS about something and advising someone else to do it, is not something anyone should do ...JMHO ..... I have a spare BRP belt and it has an ARROW indicating the direction of travel. ( this advice is FACT not a Guess )..... Mike
    Wasn't aware of the direction of travel ARROW. Is his installed properly?

Hey, PIBE, after revisiting this thread, I noticed your video of the 'noise'. If you still have some vibrations, after changing the rear tire, I would investigate the front rotors. It sounds like the brake rotor(s) may be warped. HTH
    Last edited by GrampaEJ; 04-14-2022 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Added message.
    I may be dreaming. But, I hope to get a Spyder or Ryker, soon.

Just read through "Do-s-and-Do-Nots-for-new-Spyder-owners" and the following posts. Lots of good/helpful info.
    Lots of other forums could go to school on this.