Spyder Garage

Default Sport vs eco off (normal) - is the throttle limited?

Hello everyone !
    I can’t find a clear answer
    Is sport mode faster than eco off ?
    Is the throttle limited ?
    Or what differences do they have ?
    Any answers will be helpful
    Thanks!

Gerome

Spyder Garage

I'm pretty sure that the throttle control isn't changed any; AFAIK the only major difference between Sport Mode & 'Normal' (ECO OFF) is that Sport Mode relaxes the Traction Control on the rear tire a little, but does not remove or turn off Traction Control completely!

So in Sport Mode, you can spin the rear tire up juuust a little more than Normal - but pretty much only in a straight line, cos all the other (model dependent) steering limitations the Nanny (VSS) has for wheel speed variations & steering angle etc still apply!

However, selecting ECO Mode WILL degrade the throttle input somewhat & limit your ability to reach WOT!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Awesome!!
    Thank you for that, makes sense.

Spyder Garage

On my 2021 RTL I don’t know if you will ultimately go any faster but I do know throttle response is a lot more quick.
    I use Ecomode usually but 2 days ago on a ride I guess I bumped the mode button accidentally and got into sport mode. I did not know it until I started rolling. Was not expecting the quick responses I was getting from the throttle…thought maybe I had gotten a really good tank of gas…LOL… then noticed the ECO sign on my display was not on…. AH!… there’s the issue. While still rolling I pushed the mode button.. ECO appeared and I was back to normal…for me. It was a hoot for a while though…
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    On my 2021 RTL I don’t know if you will ultimately go any faster but I do know throttle response is a lot more quick.
    I use Ecomode usually but 2 days ago on a ride I guess I bumped the mode button accidentally and got into sport mode. I did not know it until I started rolling. Was not expecting the quick responses I was getting from the throttle…thought maybe I had gotten a really good tank of gas…LOL… then noticed the ECO sign on my display was not on…. AH!… there’s the issue. While still rolling I pushed the mode button.. ECO appeared and I was back to normal…for me. It was a hoot for a while though…
    That'll be the difference between the 'retarded response' that you get by running ECO Mode, and the 'Normal' response you get when you turn ECO Mode off, not specifically due to running Sport Mode - altho the relaxation of Traction Control in Sport Mode might make it feel even a little more sprightly than 'Normal' (not ECO) simply because the Nanny won't step in early if you get close to losing traction under WOT conditions.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

That makes sense
    I will probably stay in eco off mode (normal)
    To avoid spinning the tires all the time

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    That'll be the difference between the 'retarded response' that you get by running ECO Mode, and the 'Normal' response you get when you turn ECO Mode off, not specifically due to running Sport Mode - altho the relaxation of Traction Control in Sport Mode might make it feel even a little more sprightly than 'Normal' (not ECO) simply because the Nanny won't step in early if you get close to losing traction under WOT conditions.
    , but I was not aware that the RTL even had a sport mode. I thought the only ones with an actual "sport" mode were the later model F3S version. I know my 2014 RT and current 2016 F3T does not have a sport mode. They do have eco, but that is something that I never use. And as for spinning, my bike will do that as long as it is in a straight line. But it gets cut back if the tire spin approaches 40 mph.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    , but I was not aware that the RTL even had a sport mode. I thought the only ones with an actual "sport" mode were the later model F3S version. I know my 2014 RT and current 2016 F3T does not have a sport mode. They do have eco, but that is something that I never use. And as for spinning, my bike will do that as long as it is in a straight line. But it gets cut back if the tire spin approaches 40 mph.
    Sorry blacklightning, you are correct - the RT's don't have Sport Mode, & only the non T or Ltd F3's have it, as do the Ryker Rally's, while I believe the non-Rally Rykers only have ECO & 'Normal' (non ECO) .... and I can't remember for sure what the heck the 600 Rykers have.... But either way, the RT's don't have Sport Mode!

I could've worded that post you quoted a little differently, cos it's the difference between the 'retarded response' that Pooch gets by running ECO Mode on her RT and the 'Normal' response Pooch gets when ECO Mode is turned off which returns the RT's throttle response to its full capacity & so gives Pooch the quicker throttle response from her RT; while JaxBella shouldn't notice any throttle response variation specifically due to running Sport Mode instead of 'Normal' (not ECO) on a Ryker cos there is no throttle response change there - altho the relaxation of Traction Control on a Ryker in Sport Mode might make that Ryker feel a little more sprightly than when it's in 'Normal' (not ECO) mode simply because the Nanny won't step in as early if it gets close to losing traction under WOT conditions. Make sense? Any clearer??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-06-2021 at 10:03 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I have a Ryker Rally and my normal riding mode is Sport mode, and really cant tell a difference in fuel mileage. The only problem I have with it is that when you turn the machine off, it goes back into normal mode. Which means that every time I get on it to ride, I have to reset into Sport mode, which just adds another step to the already too long start up procedure. Put in the key, turn the switch on, wait for computer, blip the throttle forward, step on the brake pedal, hit the start button, set it into Sport mode, release parking brake, finally I can go after a minute of warm up, if its a cold start.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerRick View Post
    I have a Ryker Rally and my normal riding mode is Sport mode, and really cant tell a difference in fuel mileage. The only problem I have with it is that when you turn the machine off, it goes back into normal mode. Which means that every time I get on it to ride, I have to reset into Sport mode, which just adds another step to the already too long start up procedure. Put in the key, turn the switch on, wait for computer, blip the throttle forward, step on the brake pedal, hit the start button, set it into Sport mode, release parking brake, finally I can go after a minute of warm up, if its a cold start.
    The waiting on the computer to cycle and then pressing the eco button before starting used to bother me.. But then I found out that on my F3T, I can turn the switch on, press the eco button, and it will start right away. I do not have to actually wait on the screen. That is a missconception that I had about my bike the entire time. My 2014 RT did have to wait. But my F3T doesn't not sure how many other models are like that. So when the 2020 RT came out with less start up time, I wasn't impressed. I was already over the waiting part.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Makes sense!
    I appreciate you sharing your knowledge!

Spyder Garage

It's in the Owner's Manual. If you don't have one, they're available for download online.

eco.jpg

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As stated in the manual (thanks DickB), eco mode reduces the ECU output to the throttle body motor for the same drive-by-wire position as compared to normal mode. This reduces acceleration.

For normal mode there is no reduced throttle.

For sport mode, throttle reaction is normal, but it also minimizes traction control. Traction control simply utilizes sensors, as used on ABS, to determine wheel slippage. When slippage is detected,the ECU backs off voltage to the throttle body motor... but backs off less in the sport mode.
    Last edited by SportsterDoc; 12-06-2021 at 08:10 PM.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Evidently I used the wrong words (Sport mode) in post #4 when I wrote about pushing the mode button to choose either ECO or something else. I found the “something else” to be “sportier” than ECO mode so erroneously dubbed it Sport mode. As others stated here I believe the 2021 RTLtd does not have a designation of Sport mode. I thank those who pointed this out to me… yet another learning curve. On the display panel the choice shows either ECO or doesn’t show anything at all when in the quicker mode.

Guess I am also blind when it comes to trying to find any reference to the modes in the Operator’s Guide. I have only found 2 references. One is on page 27 and shows a picture of the left handlebar controls.. 1. Mode Button: activates or deactivates ECO mode. The other reference is on page 45. Starting and Stopping the Engine. …… NOTICE …. 3. …then press the MODE button to allow engine starting.

If someone knows where more info can be found in the Operator’s Guide for the 2021 RTLtd in regards to ECO mode and non-ECO mode please show me. I thought I had gone through the guide pretty thoroughly but probably missed it somewhere. Thanx!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-07-2021 at 12:35 AM. Reason: throuh ;-)
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It is comparatively the same as my 2022 Triumph Street Twin 900cc, which has rain mode and normal mode.
    Rain mode behaves same as eco mode: Reduced drive-by-wire throttle output to throttle body.
    I tried rain mode only once in past 6 months, it reduces passing ability; especially noticeable climbing from 3,000 feet to >8,000 feet in 13 miles on Lee Canyon
    It might provide increased MPG, but averaging 61 MPG on the Triumph, I am more than happy.

On a Ryker, eco mode may raise MPG from typical 33 MPG to 35+, perhaps close to 40 cruising at or under 55 MPH

I got typically 33-34 MPG.
    As low as 31 mpg at high speeds (75+) with a headwind.
    37 MPG cruising under 65 MPH
    Last edited by SportsterDoc; 12-13-2021 at 09:52 AM.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

I am confused. Is this for a ryker? I thought this was the ryker shop talk section. If it is for a spyder, they are completely different. Eco mode on a spyder does slightly retard throttle response and also allows lower rpm shift points. The Ryker on the other hand does not have gears and does change throttle response in sport mode to a more aggressive response.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Usgregp View Post
    I am confused. Is this for a ryker? I thought this was the ryker shop talk section. If it is for a spyder, they are completely different. Eco mode on a spyder does slightly retard throttle response and also allows lower rpm shift points. The Ryker on the other hand does not have gears and does change throttle response in sport mode to a more aggressive response.
    Yes, this is a Ryker section (but there's no prohibition about mentioning other CanAm models in passing or even by mistake while discussing Rykers here or elsewhere ) and yes, some of the discussion here does mention other models (without seriously derailing the thread/topic) so if you just skim thru the responses already posted Usgregp, it might be a little confusing.... sorry for that. . However, there are commonalities between the various models & modes when it comes to their Throttle Control Systems, and if you read the posts in sequence & reasonably carefully, it should become fairly clear as to what & why the discussion went the way it did.

Besides, as JaxBella asked the original post/question, it wasn't even about the difference between ECO mode & 'Normal' mode on a Ryker, but rather about the difference between 'Normal' mode (Not Eco mode) & 'Sport' mode on a Ryker - altho as JaxBella also mentioned in the original post, "Any answers will be helpful", as they clearly were, both for JaxBella and for some others/about some other modes/models too!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

My Ryker 900 ACE has Sport Mode, as well as Eco and Normal.