Spyder Garage

Default Riding Spyder in Rain ?

I didn't own my Spyder more than 30 days I guess , when I ran into a light Rain .. I am thinking I can't be the only person who found the space under the Movable Windshield between the body above the Frunt and the underside of the Windshield , just scoops up the rain and puts it right in your face . my question is ... does anyone make something water proof that will slide in that space to stop the rain for coming under there ???

Spyder Garage

I think I read or watched something about that happening on the older models. I seem to recall the "venting" on the screens of the newer 20+ RTs addressed that. How? I don't know. I guess physics lol

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    I didn't own my Spyder more than 30 days I guess , when I ran into a light Rain .. I am thinking I can't be the only person who found the space under the Movable Windshield between the body above the Frunt and the underside of the Windshield , just scoops up the rain and puts it right in your face . my question is ... does anyone make something water proof that will slide in that space to stop the rain for coming under there ???
    i have been in some pretty heavy down-pours ...... but have not noticed your water / rain issue ..... and this is having the windshield height at maximum .... JMHO ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Never had water under the windshield. We (wife and I) last august rode in a little rain storm with NO problems. It really wasn’t little, it was a darn hurricane! We were trying to beat it home since it cut our week short. We lost! It caught up to us. We rode for 6 hours in huge downpours. We stopped at a rest stop and there was two ironseat guys there saying we got balls, keep going! They were on 2 wheels and said no way but really impressed with the 3 wheels I had. I can say 2 things. You need to play with the height of the windshield. If its an RT, like in your avatar, then raise it all the way up then lower it just a bit till you see the drops start to form at the bottom and run straight up the windshield. They gather and loop at the top, form a puddle and fly over your head. To high and they hook down at your face, to low they come off windshield and hit you in the face. Adjust the windshield till you find the perfect spot. Mine is all the way up, down for about 2 seconds. Two summers ago were in a pretty bad storm in the UP. Not as bad as the hurricane but no problems. Second, I will say with good tires the fronts throw the water sideways and the back never lost traction ever on my general. We weren’t doing 70 either. 45-50 mph, nice and slow, and down one gear to keep the torque and RPMS up.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

I've never had that problem on my 17RT but I do have the Hopnel dash bags so maybe they're blocking the rain or maybe I just dont notice bc I have a modular helmet. On my GW I installed a rain/wind deflector that was a piece of foam that you slid down bettween the forks and the fairing, maybe you could try that.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-06-2021 at 08:42 AM. Reason: spaces . , ;-)
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

I think the problem with getting wet on a Spyder in the rain lies more in the amount of distance between the windscreen and the rider. When I compare the weather protection efficiency of my old BMW R1100RT to that of our Spyder RT, it is pretty obvious having the windscreen much closer is far more efficient than having it farther away.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With all the advantages of our RT in the rain I really don't notice a problem with water reaching the helmet.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Been in a downpour so heavy that all I could see was the red glow of the vehicle tail lights in front of me. The only thing that helps in that situation is a rainsuite that hopefully doesn't leak. In a light to medium rain storm all you can do is adjust your speed and windshield to get as much protection as you can. One thing I found that helps is to apply RainX "for plastic" on your helmet visor and windshield before you get into the rainstorm.

Spyder Garage

Must a model year difference? I have a '20 RT and have been in many rain storms of varying intensities and different speeds. The RT windshield rarely sprayed rain on my upper body/head. Worst case was some misting that I easily wipe off the face shield as needed.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

yeah I am pretty tall , 6'5 and i keep the windshield run up high , But I have had it all the way down too , and you can run your hand under it , no matter where it is ... I might plan and make something this winter before spring. . thanks for the advice folks.