Spyder Garage

Default Any suggestions on Plastic rivets removal?

2021 RT

Purchased some lights from TricLED and it requires removing the 4 screw rivets on the saddle bags.

Any suggestions on how to get these out. The screw just turns???

Thanks for any help or suggestions

SCWingman
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-03-2021 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is a 'How do I?' not a 'How to:' DIY explanation....

Spyder Garage

Those are not screws! Lift the center pin (round head) with a screwdriver and remove. Then lift out the other part. Harbor Freight has 2 tools to make the job easier....here's one....

https://www.harborfreight.com/search...20pin%20pliers

Here's another....

https://www.harborfreight.com/nylon-...-pc-63594.html
    Last edited by RICZ; 12-03-2021 at 03:06 PM.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

RICZ is correct, they are not screws per say but just look like screws. A tiny flat screwdriver or an o-ring pic will lift them enough to remove the whole pin. Some say to throw away the plastic screw looking pin and to replace it with a real screw about the same size for easy removal next time.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Yesterday I removed the same. Screw turned out than I pulled it out with a needle nose pliers. Next pulled the rivet out. It went fine.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

The screw-type (cross-point center) needs gentle backing out for it to come out enough to grab.
    The flat center type needs the center cap lifted up at least 1/2 way then lift out the rivet body.
    They are reusable to a point but amazon home depot or lowes sell them cheap.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

See fix for buried push pins 05-19-2021

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ried+push+pins
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-04-2021 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Link
    [SIGPIC][img]https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/maps/map.prov.png?states=[img]https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/maps/map.prov.png?states=BC.ABhttps://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/maps/map.prov.png?states

Spyder Garage

I've just had my first encounter with the famous plastic rivets around the saddlebags.

At first, I wondered what all the fuss was about as the first 3 came out easily. But then I tried the fourth!!

It just turned round and round, so I ended up drilling a tiny hole in the centre pin and screwing a small metal woodscrew into it (to about 1/4" depth). That gripped really well so then I was able to simply grab the woodscrew in some long nose pliers and pull everything out just fine (no turning needed).

That worked so well that I think I will just pre-drill a similar hole in all the centre pins and put them back in place like that. If any should prove a problem in the future, I believe the same trick will work (though I might also use cbredneck's tip too, for backup).

I do hope the person who invented these particular rivets - AND the people who specified them for use on the Spyder - have all been fired!

pushpin rivet removal.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation I replaced my pushpins with PlusNuts and stainless steel machine screws

While there are few "screw" type pushpins (eg, on evap pre-filter) on my 2014 RT-S, I don't like pushpins in general and continued my replacement of Torx (and many hex) machine screws with M5 and M6 flanged button-head stainless steel hex drive machine screws which I carried over to pushpins. Stainless steel is easy to see in dark corners. Hex drive allows the use on ball end wrenches. And replacing the pushpins means I only need two tools rather than three.

To replace the pushpins I used pre-bulbed rivet nuts (aka PlusNuts) that are appropriate for thin material. You will need the Astro Pneumatic extra long LM5M and LM6M mandrels to set the nuts. From my perspective a truly great improvement for working on my Spyder.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

You will never need any other tool that is not included in this case for panels, plastic rivets, christmas trees, or any other push fastener. It even includes connector depinning tools. The quality is great!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

I like the plastic rivets for the ease of removal and reinstallation vs. nuts & bolts. If a 'screw' type becomes hard to back out, just use a thin metal screw (sheetrock 1 in?) in it's place.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Default Plastic pop pin removal

I have used all suggestions, I find a inexpensive tack removal tool works best. D-Daddy