Spyder Garage

Default Stuff for my new RT? Your input is needed.

Well, I pulled the trigger on ordering my new 2022 RT Limited in Petrol Blue YAYYYY!
    But it will not be available to me for a couple months at best and 4 or 5 months at worst.
    We added the BRP armrests and drivers backrest in the initial sale.

So in the meantime - I am watching every accessory review and informercial on YouTube.
    And figuring I can get a jumpstart on "Stuff" before the Spyder gets here.
    And keeping in mind - this is my first SPyder.

So far - I know (pretty sure) I want:
    Helmets (my old Bell needs an upgrade) - we have settled (we think) on Sidici Sistema II Palore (Modular with built in blue tooth)
    Pedal Commander (the throttle response on the RT I test drove was atrocious)
    Sequential turn signal replacements for the front fender reflectors
    Running board lights
    Handlebar end helmet lock.
    Any feedback on the above?

Things I still need and am looking for suggestions:
    Phone holder
    Safety stuff (fire extinguisher/ Fix a Flat?)
    Cup holders - mine and wifes
    Rain Ponchos - live in Las Vegas, so rain is not a huge issue -but...

And anything else you think we need and I can start burning up the Visa card before the Spyder arrives.
    We have our leathers from 2 wheel days that I am not yet ready to move on from.

Spyder Garage

I’ll be watching your thread, I’ve not found cup holders for either driver or passenger that I was too excited about. The F3’s have one that mounts on the frame down on the side of the bike but I’ve not seen anything similar for the RT.

Spyder Garage

You asked for opinions, so here goes: I prefer the non-sequential fender signal lights. I think the combination of flashing and scrolling lights is confusing, especially from the rear. As long as you're doing fender lights, get the signal lights for the mirrors. I bought both from Lamonster. On the rear I installed a pulsating brake light controller and replaced the saddle bag reflectors with LED's. BTW, it is a major PITA to take the back end apart for the brake and saddle bag lights, so I also installed LED's in the rear signal light bulbs. I found LED bulbs with built in load resistors from Auxito. The bulbs are $15 each, but no hyperflash and you don't have to find a place to put external resistors. I also added the front LED accessory light from BRP that mounts on the bottom lip of the frunk. A little pricy from BRP, but absolutely the simplest mod ever. Just 2 screws and plug into the existing connector behind the OE reflector.

I'm short (5'9") so I added stock F3 handle bars to move the grips up and back towards me. Stock bars gave me serious back/shoulder pain. I also added footboard risers from Lamonster.

I hope some of this helps and have fun when you get your new ride!

Spyder Garage

Tire repair kit is a must. Slime and others put out ones that come with a 12V compressor as well as plugs and the tool to insert them.
    Digital tire air gauge for accuracy. Especially the fronts are handling sensitive to different PSIs.
    Your first group is fine, especially the lid locks. I enjoy the heck outa my Pedal Commander and so do many here.
    I never heard of a Spyder catching on fire, so the extinguisher is your call.
    One of those compact jump starter power devices can come in handy. In my case, for helping others get a start.
    Happy hunting.
    Last edited by RICZ; 12-02-2021 at 07:36 PM.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Depending on your size, weight, and 1 or 2-up riding style, you may need to upgrade the bottom end. Swaybar, tires, shocks/springs will make a world of difference in handling from stock.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

You cannot have to many lights. We have signature light, lighted bumpskid, mirror, extra brake and vent lights.

Cup holders are another "must have" item.

I am not into performance add on's so don't have any experience with them.

Good luck with your hunt.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

In my opinion, here are some things you need to add for comfort and safety on long distance rides:
    Get a laser alignment. This is becoming less of an issue with the newer Spyders, but a misaligned Spyder rides like a horror.
    Consider Heli Bars to be able to get that perfect feel in your hands/wrists/shoulders.
    Also consider a backrest either BRP or Utopia to support your spine for all day rides.
    As to the rest, I prefer the NON sequential fender lights, they're less distracting. Also avoid lighting the red markers on the rear of the front fenders. That's also very distracting.
    Additional safety lights you didn't mention:
    Light up the red reflectors on the rear side bags.
    Add some type of light to the front of the mirrors that will function as an additional turn/run light in higher up for more head on visibility . I used the lighting strips from SpyderPops. Lamonster has a much better solution.
    Running board lights seem like more of a gimmick to me. If you have the available cash, you may enjoy them, but I'd prioritize the comfort features and other lights for safety before I got the running board lights.
    I'd make the same suggestion for the pedal commander. You may very well see the necessity in a perceived increase in performance, but again, I'd prioritize the safety and comfort features first.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 12-02-2021 at 08:28 PM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Re suspension upgrades; give yourself time, the bike will tell you what it needs. Then do one at a time so you will understand what that upgrade did for the bike. This was suggested to me by the man himself, Bajaron. I put 4K on before switching to front car tires. Another 2K before adding the sway bar, and another 2K before adding aftermarket springs. I can tell you what each one did for me and the bike.
    Disclaimer; I ride quite aggressively and we have a lot of twisty roads where I live, so the above add ons are very beneficial for me. If your riding style is more tame, you may be wasting $ on springs.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Baja Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, as others have said.

For me, at 5'6", the Lamonster's brake pedal exension and a solution for the too far away handlebars were also absolute musts. I ended up with Helibars, but they are costly. Lamonster's handle bar risers also work very well, but I wanted the angle adjustment that only the Helibars could provide. I was fine on my 2014 and my 2010, but this is definitely factory set for taller riders (well, taller than me). There are a number of threads on the subject.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Congratulations! I have done all you are thinking about and more. See in my sig below. The comfort heated seat is a nice option as is extra lights - the stock RT was pretty dismal compared to Goldwing or R1200 GSA. Please PM me if you want detail on any of them. I do all the work myself.

Happy Holidays,

David
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Hi VegasDan

I to have put a deposit on a 2022 RT Limited Petrol Metallic, due sometime in March/April new year. It is our first Spyder, coming off most recently a BMW K1600GTL, 42+ years of riding various types of motorcycles.

As part of the deal I purchased all the case bag liners, GPS/Bracket/power hookup cable, BRP Rear Top case Rack, Extended warranty. As mentioned will work through other items as we put some kilometers on it. Purchases will revolve around 2 up comfort as that is how we ride. I also purchased Warm & Safe battery/SAE cable to run my wife's heated gear, battery tender, Stop & Go tire repair kit with air pump(time for a new one as always carried one on the bikes, as well as a First Aid kit), and Xpel paint protection kit.

Looking at the OEM backrest and touring windshield next.

Will be interesting hearing your experiences.

Randy

Spyder Garage

Best cup holders on the market bar none, been using them for years on various motorcycles. https://www.glassact.com/

Spyder Garage

Bought helmets yesterday.
    Cycle Gear was having a buy 1, get 2nd half off on Sidici helmets. Hard to turn down saving nearly $200 on a pair of helmets.

So everything is getting closer - just hard to wait for my toy to arrive.

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VegasDan View Post
    Well, I pulled the trigger on ordering my new 2022 RT Limited in Petrol Blue YAYYYY!
    But it will not be available to me for a couple months at best and 4 or 5 months at worst.

So in the meantime - I am watching every accessory review and informercial on YouTube.

Helmets (my old Bell needs an upgrade) - we have settled (we think) on Sidici Sistema II Palore (Modular with built in blue tooth)
    Running board lights

Phone holder

And anything else you think we need and I can start burning up the Visa card before the Spyder arrives.
    I have bought and reviewed some of the items on your list in this thread.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Active Member SpyderGoldwingOwner's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Baja Ron Tie Rods
    Ram Phone holder
    End Bar Weights
    Fog Lights
    handlebar risers
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT
    2018 Honda Goldwing DCT

Spyder Garage

Congratulations on your new ride. When I purchased my 21 RTL I added a comfort heated seat, arm rests and a trailer hitch. As time went on I added a phone holder/cup holder from lamonster that mounted on handle bars, a usb port to phone mount, LED lighting on fenders, A frames and running boards, baja ron sway bar and F4 +4 tinted windshield with vent. We did 2 distance rides this year and have about 8K miles on since purchase in June. I think it is perfect but who knows maybe a pedal commander and cat delete may be in my future. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

If I install a pedal commander (pedal box) prior to getting the 9500 mile service on my '21 RT will that be an issue for the warranty or service or can I just leave it on? Will they say it shouldn't be on there? I have the PB on there now. In spring it will go in for 9500 mi service. I can tuck it into the speaker box but their computer will probably show it even if I remove it. I don't why it should be an issue as it's only a throttle control.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VegasDan View Post

Running board lights

Phone holder

Check out these phone mounts I stock the full line I am the west coast dist. I also have the drink mounts
    TackForm Video
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=683358072459218
    Motorcycle Dave's LOGO #1.jpg

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by milryder View Post
    it's only a throttle control.
    I say there is no such thing as "only a throttle control" on the 1330 engine. It is throttle by wire and the throttle is controlled by the computer program in the ECU. I think you should remove the PB before you take it in for service.

What unit are you using? The Pedal Commander website does not list one for the Spyder. Edit: I found it on Slingmods.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 01-08-2022 at 04:36 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I endorse the Helmet Hook, Grip Puppies and Chrome Accessories bar end weights for convenience and improved comfort.

WRT Helmet Hook, while a dinky lock is offered, any loss of your helmet will be a matter of fate not mechanics. I use my Helmet Hook only for securely holding my helmet (never ever on the seat) while I'm suiting/unsuiting.

I endorse the TricLED Wide-Vu mirrors for improved situational awareness and safety.

I recommend the CoverMax cover for best protection and quality.

PS My riding suits are Aerostich RoadCrafter Classic's (a one-piece and a two-piece). Either of them fit in the frunk. But not both at the same time. If you don't want to walk around in your suits, you will want carry bags.
    Last edited by BertRemington; 01-08-2022 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Added riding suit information
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike