Spyder Garage

Default Dash cam recommendations please

My wife is keen for me to add a front and rear dash cam to her 2021 Sea-to-Sky. Does anyone have any recommendations, please (and photos of their installation on a 2020+ RT)?

I see some include a monitor, but I can't figure out why you'd want to go to the trouble of adding one of those to the dashboard.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a '17 RL and have fitted a Thinkware M1. The cameras are larger than most other brands, something I like because people see them, know they might be recorded and behave accordingly

https://us.thinkware.com/product-page/m1/

I made a small aluminium bracket that mounts the front camera just below the windshield lowest position, and the rear on the Left Side of the top box. Recorder sits nicely under the seat. Cable lengths are good and it was easy to wire up. I use a TP7AS Bypass relay for my trailer so just added the camera to the running light circuit so that its on when the ignition is on. Footage is pretty clear, can pull number plates easily.

No interest in a display, too busy riding and dodging idiots Perhaps those with an ego might find them useful
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-04-2021 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Reside = side ?? ;-)
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

How did you hook these both up for power?

Spyder Garage

Check out Garmin mini 2. Very small and a 13 ft power cord that could reach the frunk

Spyder Garage

If not watching pennies look at the Innovv K5 system. It's nice.

https://www.innovv.com/
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwmorrow View Post
    Check out Garmin mini 2. Very small and a 13 ft power cord that could reach the frunk
    Thanks, but I can't yet find any suggestion that it is waterproof.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

https://www.amazon.com/ZOMFOM-Waterp...8709073&sr=8-3

This is the one I have. Takes very clear video. I simply remove the microSD memory card if I want to download video. It says you can use the wifi to download to your phone, but I have not had luck with that. It is all waterproof. I simply lay the main screen inside next to the airbox. Works perfectly and never had an issue.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

This is the unit I use and is waterproof. https://www.amazon.com/Blueskysea-A1...%2C212&sr=8-21
    2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm using Garmin's Dash Cam Mini and its stuck to the inside of the windshield. I use the USB adapter on the Battery Tender pigtail to power the camera. I route the cable down thru the vent on the top of the F3 dash.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderJerry View Post
    This is the unit I use and is waterproof. https://www.amazon.com/Blueskysea-A1...%2C212&sr=8-21
    Why would I need a monitor?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You dont have to mount it where you can see the screen. Just hide the unit under the black body panel on the left side.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    ..... I see some include a monitor, but I can't figure out why you'd want to go to the trouble of adding one of those to the dashboard.
    The monitor doesn't necessarily hafta show you what's going on AHEAD of you - you can set it up to show what's happening BEHIND you instead, which can be very handy as both a rear view 'mirror' &/or as a reversing camera

Nor does it hafta be mounted on the dash - it's really only the front end of the storage components & maybe a handy review device that you can use to find the right clip & maybe even immediately show the cops that it wasn't YOU who caused that accident/was speeding thru a red light!

Besides, you can choose to put it somewhere you don't/can't see it all the time/at all. It'll still work admirably as a dash cam/safety camera even if you don't ever look at the monitor!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-05-2021 at 09:32 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The first reason would be to make sure it's working, the second reason is to make sure your camera(s) are pointed in the correct directions. After that, you wouldn't need it until you hit something, or something hit you. Good luck Mac. I'm going to buy one myself soon. Currently, I have a free cheap"o" camera but I need an upgrade. Had an adam henry pull out of a driveway directly in front of me making a left-hand turn and it was close enough I can now recognize the driver in my little bitty screen monitor. My monitor screen is about the size of two postage stamps, but it worked. If we'd have collided at least I'd know who the guy was if he took off.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderJerry View Post
    I should clarify that I mounted the Dvr in the rear trunk. It comes with a wired remote controll that I mounted on the dash cover. The remote has a blue light that flashes to let you know it is recording. If solid blue it is not. You can also start or stop recording with it and take a still photo shot with it. I have a 128 gig sd card in it.
    2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Go pro?

Spyder Garage

I have the Thinkware M1 - great quality F/R cameras. Relatively easy install. Lots of storage capacity with a fast MicroSD card.
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Drwerner View Post
    I have the Thinkware M1
    I looked at that but noticed that it does not have a G-Sensor, which is something I thought might be very useful.

Spyder Garage

I have the Innovv K5 and love it. Previously had the K2. It's now on the F3 in the background!

20211221_171331.jpg 20211221_171350.jpg 20211221_171405.jpg

The middle photo shows the included microphone and the switch to lock in a segment so the video cannot be overwritten. The front camera/main body shows an aftermarket lens protector that is available from an individual on the Innovv forums on their website.
    Last edited by Jetfixer; 12-21-2021 at 05:32 PM.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    I have the Innovv K5 and love it....

20211221_171331.jpg
    We are just trying to decide on the best spot to mount the VSYSTO cameras we eventually bought. We were thinking the same place as you have yours at the rear - under the back of the "top case" - but then realised that this would prevent fitting of the "rear panel" if we ever fancy a sportier look.

Has anyone mounted a rear camera on the latest shape RT in a place which solves that issue - e.g. the rear vertical panels?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 190243 View Post
    Go pro?
    Buying one for the front and one for the back would get pretty expensive. Plus, running them off bike power rather than internal battery (which you would have to do as the battery only lasts an hour or so), removes their “waterproofness”

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Has anyone mounted a rear camera on the latest shape RT in a place which solves that issue - e.g. the rear vertical panels?
    Use an L bracket and mount it using a license plate bolt.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    If not watching pennies look at the Innovv K5 system. It's nice.

https://www.innovv.com/
    where and how did you mount it
    2015 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    Magic Mirrors
    Short Antenna
    LaMonster Dual Power Plate
    LED Headlights
    LED Fog lights
    Vibration Damper
    Spyclops
    Spyclops II
    Utopia Back Rest

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    I have the Innovv K5 and love it. Previously had the K2. It's now on the F3 in the background!

20211221_171331.jpg 20211221_171350.jpg 20211221_171405.jpg

The middle photo shows the included microphone and the switch to lock in a segment so the video cannot be overwritten. The front camera/main body shows an aftermarket lens protector that is available from an individual on the Innovv forums on their website.
    Quote Originally Posted by SOlsenPHS View Post
    There's one example from Jetfixer just a few posts up from yours.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SOlsenPHS View Post
    Made a mount similar to the one shown in this thread for the K2.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ghlight=innovv

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/ZOMFOM-Waterp...8709073&sr=8-3

This is the one I have. Takes very clear video. I simply remove the microSD memory card if I want to download video. It says you can use the wifi to download to your phone, but I have not had luck with that. It is all waterproof. I simply lay the main screen inside next to the airbox. Works perfectly and never had an issue.

Hello, I was just about send that same link! We bought 2 of these for our 2020RT's, starting the install today. Glad to hear it's working out well for you. Ken