Spyder Garage

Default Ultimate seat rain cover question

I'm close to getting an Ultimate seat for my 2021 RTL. We are not desperate for a new seat, but the boss needs to get off every hour or two, and those times decrease throughout the day. So far that's the decision (as always interested to hear opinions, but I know that horse has been beat to death).
    Anyway ... Ultimate recommends a rain cover for when its sitting or you are riding in the rain. That leads me to ask why? Is this a real issue? If it get wet ... or damp ... is there a problem? These are leather and cows get wet all the time (LOL)!

Thanks all
    2021 RT Limited in Marsala Red & chrome (9/20)
    2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture - Black Cherry
    2003 Suzuki Volusia - Black w/ Gold
    1973 Honda CL350 - Hawaiian Blue

2021 Limited , MArsala Red & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I purchased the Ultimate seat 5 plus years ago after my butt killing ride on the original seat. I have used the rain cover but that disappeared long ago. I've left my bike in the rain a number of times. My dealership left it outside in the rain for two weeks when it was in for repair.
    after all of that, still no problems and rain has never penetrated to the foam. Great seat.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0123 View Post
    I'm close to getting an Ultimate seat for my 2021 RTL. We are not desperate for a new seat, but the boss needs to get off every hour or two, and those times decrease throughout the day. So far that's the decision (as always interested to hear opinions, but I know that horse has been beat to death).
    Anyway ... Ultimate recommends a rain cover for when its sitting or you are riding in the rain. That leads me to ask why? Is this a real issue? If it get wet ... or damp ... is there a problem? These are leather and cows get wet all the time (LOL)!

Thanks all
    Waaaay back when I owned a GS and then an RSS neither of those seats had SEAMS in the cover, so the FOAM stayed dry .... When I switched to an RT, I found the new SEAMS leaked any water into the FOAM. .... So if I didn't cover it in the rain my Butt got wet, and this lasted until it finally dried out..... which could take quite a while .... Un-fortunately I was told the Ultimate RAIN cover wouldn't fit a Stock seat ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

I had a 2002 Goldwing that I put over 160K and 15 years on it before I sold it. From the second year on I had a Diamond Tall Boy on it with myriad seams because of the diamond pattern. In order to keep them from leaking through the stitching and getting the foam wet I applied a tent seam sealer available wherever fine tents are sold annually to all the stitching and never had a problem with the foam getting wet and the way the seat was constructed a lot of water would settle where the seat was shaped like a shallow bowl.

My wife has an ultimate seat on her 2001 Goldwing trike and we never had a problem with the foam getting wet. A good leather conditioner once a year works wonders.

Spyder Garage

Thank you all
    2021 RT Limited in Marsala Red & chrome (9/20)
    2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture - Black Cherry
    2003 Suzuki Volusia - Black w/ Gold
    1973 Honda CL350 - Hawaiian Blue

2021 Limited , MArsala Red & Chrome

Spyder Garage

One size does not fit all. I had to have my Ultimate modified for a better fit. Note that the passenger seat is 5" wider. Very comfy for all. I also had heat added - note the switches.

DSCN2852.jpg
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

From having built several motorcycle seats over a period of about 15 and working closely with my local upholstery guy, I learned a few things.

1. A product called "illusion leather" is a far better choice for a seat that stays out-doors a lot. It is UV resistant, water proof, tougher than leather and more comfortable than leather and requires no special attention.

2. A well designed cover will have minimal seams for leakage. When seams are unavoidable, they can and should be sealed water tight underneath.

I currently have a seat that guy covered for me on my 2000 R1200C with his original illusion leather cover on it. Except for my lack of good cleaning habits, it is like new and has never soaked any water through the exposed seams. It went on the bike in April of 2005 and now has over 126K miles on it. During that time, it saw a lot of direct sun as I rode it to work most days from the beginning until I retired in May of '17. It has also been in more than its fair share of heavy rain with no problems. If Ultimate Seat is a reputable manufacturer, they should have no problem meeting those two requirements for you.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)