Spyder Garage

Default Heated OEM grips on F3 LTD do just barely - anyone replaced with A/mkt?

I've had heated grips on several bikes, some I installed and two factory (Yamaha FJR, BMW RT). They all worked to various degrees (pun intended) but all did the job. The ones on my F3 do not. It is not that cold yet in the NM mountains but winter is coming as is a trip to AK next year. And I would like to replace my OEM grips with some good ones.

Question is, has anyone done that? I suspect I could pull power from the OEM switch and then route it to the after market controller (most have several settings.)
    2020 F3L; gone but not forgotten are all the good miles!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With my RT, both Low and High get too warm after about 10 minutes. But I hadn't been in really cold weather yet so I designed a circuit that provides variable heating control and greater heat output.

The handlebar wires are quite small (20AWG) and they are separate for Low and High. Because the Ground is common I thought there would be too much current to connect Low and High together. The Ohm's Law solution is higher voltage, say 18-24 volts, via a buck convertor feeding a potentiometer-controlled pulse width modulator feeding the heating elements. I've assembled a parts list on Amazon but haven't pushed the Buy Now button. I don't know if this solution would work for an F3.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McRuss View Post
    I've had heated grips on several bikes, some I installed and two factory (Yamaha FJR, BMW RT). They all worked to various degrees (pun intended) but all did the job. The ones on my F3 do not. It is not that cold yet in the NM mountains but winter is coming as is a trip to AK next year. And I would like to replace my OEM grips with some good ones.

Question is, has anyone done that? I suspect I could pull power from the OEM switch and then route it to the after market controller (most have several settings.)
    I recall reading here that the F-3 was heat deficient compared to the the RT ..... and some folks here have switched to sno-mobile grips that have three or more settings ..... sno-mobile grips are able to get get much warmer than ones for a Mtc. ..... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I recall reading here that the F-3 was heat deficient compared to the the RT ..... and some folks here have switched to sno-mobile grips that have three or more settings ..... sno-mobile grips are able to get get much warmer than ones for a Mtc. ..... jmho .... Mike
    x 2 Compared to the RT heated grips, I feel that the F3 Heated grips leave a bit to be desired.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

They have ALOT to be desired. I wish there was an easy fix to these.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Truth. My 2017 F3T heated grips are one setting only and it is warm at best. My 2014 RT had two settings and even on low they were much better than the F3's.
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Spyder Garage

Not really sure about this but one of my friends told me that his wires were crossed on his F-3 Ltd grips and when he switched them over the heated grips worked much better. (they were wired backwards)

DISCLAIMER: I am old and might have just dreamed this up, but i think it is true.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Not really sure about this but one of my friends told me that his wires were crossed on his F-3 Ltd grips and when he switched them over the heated grips worked much better. (they were wired backwards)

DISCLAIMER: I am old and might have just dreamed this up, but i think it is true.

Cruzr Joe
    I know with LED's , there is a positive and negative .... and they need to be hooked up correctly for them to work at all. .... I would think this applies to heated grips also. They will either work or they won't ..... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-02-2021 at 01:03 AM.

Spyder Garage

2019 F3S with BRP heated grips installed. In a word ... weak.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robtdonna View Post
    Truth. My 2017 F3T heated grips are one setting only and it is warm at best. My 2014 RT had two settings and even on low they were much better than the F3's.
    100% We did practically the same thing, except I went from a 2014 RT to a 2016 F3T. As stated, the F3 grips have a lot to be desired. My BMW has 5 settings and I have only needed setting number 3 on a 35 degree day. And that is with foam grip puppies on the BMW.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I fitted heated grips the other day to an F3 - now it is in Australia, so it's not that cold.... the grip part looked the same as my RT Ltd grip. So is the problem the controller & not the grips maybe? Has anyone tried changing the wiring so the grips get more current supply? Just a thought...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-13-2021 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Caps & spaces ;-)

Spyder Garage

My F3 grips are a joke compared to my BRP snowmobiles. If handlebar size is the same as anyone put the RT heaters on a F3?
    RT must use a higher output grip heater than the F3. Maybe they have a bigger element in them. And even with just wired to just the high side it would be better than the stock ones. Turning off/on would be no problem, too much heat is better than not enough.
    In my snowmobiles some use the computer to cycle on/off to lower heat levels, my sleds have 8 levels. On other models they just use a resistor to drop power for the one with only a high/ low setting.
    John
    "some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've installed these Koso grips on several motorcycles and been very pleased with their integration and operation: https://www.amazon.com/Koso-AM111030.../dp/B00T6IX42S

I'm not happy with my 2014 RT's heated grips (too hot and sometimes trigger Check Engine) and the previous owner damaged the handlebar wires on both sides so I'm looking at replacing them with Koso grips. They have a new throttle-by-wire version. I'll report back on my results.

Spyder Garage

I’m a bit surprised. Here are my findings. BRP has the hottest hand grips on everything for any manufacture. Their sled heated grips will actually put blisters on your hands if you have them on high and a loose glove. The four wheeler grips are the best on the market hands down. We run Hatfields each spring and guys always walk over and put their hands on my grips to warm up a bit. Those are variable and I run 2 bars only. My SXS seats and grips are super hot. High will get to hot if you run 4000 RPS constant. My RT has to be left on Low. Are you running the rps at 3500? To low of RPS or high seems to decrease the heat. I’ve never heard of can am products not being hot but I have not tied the F series only RT. These are just my findings on my machines.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

The grips on my 2019 F3LTD are pretty weak ..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    100% We did practically the same thing, except I went from a 2014 RT to a 2016 F3T. As stated, the F3 grips have a lot to be desired. My BMW has 5 settings and I have only needed setting number 3 on a 35 degree day. And that is with foam grip puppies on the BMW.
    My '16 F3T does not have hand warmers, AFAIK! Maybe I haven't found the switch. Did some models come without the warmers?
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    I’m a bit surprised. Here are my findings. BRP has the hottest hand grips on everything for any manufacture. Their sled heated grips will actually put blisters on your hands if you have them on high and a loose glove. The four wheeler grips are the best on the market hands down. We run Hatfields each spring and guys always walk over and put their hands on my grips to warm up a bit. Those are variable and I run 2 bars only. My SXS seats and grips are super hot. High will get to hot if you run 4000 RPS constant. My RT has to be left on Low. Are you running the rps at 3500? To low of RPS or high seems to decrease the heat. I’ve never heard of can am products not being hot but I have not tied the F series only RT. These are just my findings on my machines.
    The F3 models are single heat and at the low end of "heated grip" spectrum. I've had heated grips on my H-D models that were much better/hotter than those available for the F3.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

I purchased this set of heated hand grips for my 1200 Gold Wing. 5 heat settings, inexpensive and working well after 1 year. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

My 2018 Grips are warm at best on a cool day, on a cold night or morning they dont even get warm... WEAK
    2018 F3 Limited , Stock Doc Humphrys Intense Red

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McRuss View Post

I made my own! So can you!

https://www.rattlebars.com/heated/
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Put a set from BRP on wife's F3T, works best on a warm day....cooler days pretty much ineffective.
    2021 RTL , metallic chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is the heated grip switch on the F3 On-Off or like the RT's Low-Off-High?

If it's just On-Off a simple improvement would be to insert a 12-to-16V or 12-to-19V converter so you can take advantage of the P=EI power law. You can use a PWM controller if you want to vary the heat level.

I'm doing something similar on my RT-S but it's a bit more complicated because the grips have two separate heating elements with a common ground.