Spyder Garage

Default What's this Knocking sound on start up?

I hate to hijack an old thread like this but I can't seam to be able to start my own. I have a 2011 rt with 22 k miles and am getting a knocking sound on start up. I had prevoisly inadvertently over filled the oil tank and ran it about 50 miles before I realized. It had a leak which I found to be a wrong sized washer on the engine drain plug intastalled by the previous owner. I did an oil and filter change and checked the air filter. There was oil in the air box and I cleaned it out. The noise started just before I did the oil change. Here is a video I made of the noise at start up. https://youtube.com/shorts/_2866258jFo?feature=share .

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Gene. At first glance, I don't think any of those events you described in your post are relevant. However, just before it went out of view on the video, I noticed that your Low Oil Pressure Light was still on. It should go out pretty much immediately after engine start. How long does it stay on...or maybe the question is, does it ever go out?

Plus, you have a weak battery and that is why you have the ABS and VSS lights come on as you start the motor. But let's focus on oil pressure first.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

I had just changed the oil and that was the first start up after having it drained. I should have mentioned that. I knew I have a week battery. I was waiting till spring to replace it. I didn't realize you could tell at start up. Thanks ��
    Last edited by Motorsickle; 11-29-2021 at 11:14 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorsickle View Post
    I hate to hijack an old thread like this but I can't seam to be able to start my own. I have a 2011 rt with 22 k miles and am getting a knocking sound on start up. I had prevoisly inadvertently over filled the oil tank and ran it about 50 miles before I realized. It had a leak which I found to be a wrong sized washer on the engine drain plug intastalled by the previous owner. I did an oil and filter change and checked the air filter. There was oil in the air box and I cleaned it out. The noise started just before I did the oil change. Here is a video I made of the noise at start up. https://youtube.com/shorts/_2866258jFo?feature=share .
    IF you haven't re-moved the engine VENT hose that goes into the filter box, and added a FUEL type filter to the hose, and then plugged the hole in the air box .... you should do it ..... I had two v-twins and did it to both .... this will keep the AIR BOX lots cleaner ...... there are posts with pics on this site ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IF you haven't re-moved the engine VENT hose that goes into the filter box, and added a FUEL type filter to the hose, and then plugged the hole in the air box .... you should do it ..... I had two v-twins and did it to both .... this will keep the AIR BOX lots cleaner ...... there are posts with pics on this site ..... Mike
    Thanks. I had put it back together before I saw this. I will do it next time I do the oil change.

Spyder Garage

The noise was just slight exhaust leaks coupled with valve noise from the engine I wouldn't normally hear with the Tupperware on. Thanks for the responses. The main reason I asked it hear is because I had read on another forum that someone else had similar noises in a video he posted. He had said his engine was "gone" I tried to get him to say what was wrong but it was an old post.My parinoia got the best of me. M