Spyder Garage

Cool BRP Engineers - I wonder if their ears burn . . . ?

I hope the engineer that decided where to put those three springs on the 1330 exhaust sleeps well.

Finally used a screwdriver inserted in a hole in the frame and was able to get some leverage on the tool supplied with the BaldwinIronworks cat delete. It might have been easier but my elevated table gets in the way so can't get the leverage needed.

Didn't seem to add much to the sound but just ran it for a couple of minutes as riding season is pretty much over in this part of ND. Although the forecast has a couple of interesting temps later in the week.
    2016 RT-L , Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hound View Post
    I hope the engineer that decided where to put those three springs on the 1330 exhaust sleeps well.

Finally used a screwdriver inserted in a hole in the frame and was able to get some leverage on the tool supplied with the BaldwinIronworks cat delete. It might have been easier but my elevated table gets in the way so can't get the leverage needed.

Didn't seem to add much to the sound but just ran it for a couple of minutes as riding season is pretty much over in this part of ND. Although the forecast has a couple of interesting temps later in the week.
    Did you do the " CAT " delete .... ??? did you add the Baffle ???? ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I used a loop of Paracord thru the spring and levered with metal bar against the rear shock mount.
    My Baldwin Cat delete has the baffle welded inplace.
    Sounds good and runs fine.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Hound, the trick is so easy! Use a piece of paracord. 6 feet will do. Pass the cord thru the spring, and from the back of the bike, pull straight back. I have Ann pull while I direct the spring, both on and off. She wraps the cord around a wrench, and rows. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tip of the Day

Well, wonderful Tips on how to do the exhaust springs on your Spyder. Thanks ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Hound, the trick is so easy! Use a piece of paracord. 6 feet will do. Pass the cord thru the spring, and from the back of the bike, pull straight back. I have Ann pull while I direct the spring, both on and off. She wraps the cord around a wrench, and rows. Joe
    I would love to see a video of that show!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I took the end off the baffle and then installed it. Wanted something I could hear with these old tired ears but not so bad the Mrs. wouldn't ride along.
    My table is nice when working on everything except underneath the spider where it gets in the way.
    I have Ann pull while I direct the spring, both on and off. She wraps the cord around a wrench, and rows.
    There's a fine line between a good idea and cheating.
    2016 RT-L , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I fought with that stupid spring for an hour and gave up. Only 2 springs on mine. I will have to try the paracord idea. I just ran out of patience that day. It wasnt too bad putting the springs on the cat delete, but I have put the cat back on and added an Akrapovic muffler. It was too loud with the cat delete. The sound is perfect now.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I ran mine with 2 springs for a long time. Then I ordered a cat delete and it came with this T-Bar looking thing that allowed me to put the spring back on with ease.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I took the end off the baffle and then installed it. Wanted something I could hear with these old tired ears but not so bad the Mrs. wouldn't ride along.
    My table is nice when working on everything except underneath the spider where it gets in the way.

There's a fine line between a good idea and cheating.
    As to the " Baffle " .... the reason they have these in the " CAT " pipe is to balance the back-pressure from what it was with the CAT , to a now more free-flow system .... the SOUND wasn't why they did it ..... I have a baffle in mine and it still sounds " throaty " ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

100_2207.jpg This is what you guys need for those springs!! Any one that plays with snowmobiles have one of these, you can get them at most any parts store, ask for a spring puller!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Yup have two of them. excellent tool for pulling springs.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-23-2022 at 05:37 PM. Reason: spaces

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    100_2207.jpg This is what you guys need for those springs!! Any one that plays with snowmobiles have one of these, you can get them at most any parts store, ask for a spring puller!!

I agree. I have an 18” one, 12” one and a mini that goes on the sled at all times. They are the cats meow. I’ve used those on wheelers, SXS, inboard boat motor and even on the truck with the new sliding window springs on the the F250. I got them from a snowmobile place but use them everywhere. If you don’t have those spring pullers a very long pick ( mine is SNAPON) works well with the hook. To push instead of pull, a long screwdriver with a notch cut out works great. The harbor freight 16” cheapos are fine to put a cut a slit in and make your own.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Need a sound bite.
    2019 Rt limited chrome , Phoenix orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandylolee View Post
    Need a sound bite.
    Who from??

A sound bite from Hound, trying to get those bleepin springs on without the correct tool?? Or from Cptjam & Ann using the paracord trick & doing it easy??

The first one might get Hound banned from the Forum AND from YouTube - the second might not be all that interesting or helpful.... .... there again, it might also be easily misconstrued & somewhat embarrasing!

Just sayin', we don't have much to go on here....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default So Maybe A Video????

Need a sound bite.

I think you are wanting a good value video. Is this a 'Yes'?
    Let us know. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Need a sound bite.
    Okay, I'll 'bite';

"That's why god invented spring pullers, paracord and the truckers' hitch..."
    Last edited by UtahPete; 12-01-2021 at 11:47 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

This tip was a lifesaver today as we installed the Lamonster's IPS exhaust to my 2018 RT. Sound is amazing!!! Deep throaty and not the high pitch on some of the after market exhaust.
    2018 RT Limited , Champange with black and pink strips

Spyder Garage

If it takes 3 Aggies to screw in a light bulb then it's going to take 50 engineers to design each spring. Just the way they work. Here's one in action now,