Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Had a 03 Wing for 15 years,loved it but I found that it was sitting a lot the last couple years bc my life was just getting too hectic.I made a complete lifestyle change,sold business,house,moved to another state and decided that I was gonna ride a lot more,but the GW had to go. I had been interested in Spyders since they first came out,so I drove that bike down to Motomember in VA and came back with a 17 RTL.I feel that as a touring bike/trike its just more fun and easier to drive in every kind of weather and road condition.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

I am soon to own one of each too.

I have a 2021 Gold Wing DCT in Vancouver and am awaiting delivery of my 2021 RT Limited in the next week or so her in Southern California where I spend winters.

At almost 73 years old I find the GW a bit tricky to handle at parking lot speeds and on gravel etc. if I enjoy the Spyder as much as I hope to I will probably swap it for another Spyder after next riding season

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had a 2005 Goldwing when I made the switch. About 2012, 2013 time frame I decided it was time to go to three wheels before something happened that would make me wish I had done it sooner. I dropped my 2005 Goldwing 6 times in 2 years. Two with my foot in a pothole, once in the garage when I forgot to put the kickstand down, once when my foot slid on gravel scattered on a paved parking lot, and twice when I was suffering from heat stress after a Goldwing rally. I ran off the pavement into gravel as I was leaving a rest area. That was really embarrassing because an Oregon State Trooper showed up after the first drop, helped me get things back up and connected (I was pulling a trailer) and watched me make the second drop within 50 feet of taking off!

I also began to not feel safe on the 'wing. In Utah I was going around a long easy curve on Interstate 15/80 at about 75 or 80 mph when I got to thinking that if ANYTHING went wrong, like an animal crossing the road, or if I hit a rock, or who knows what, I was a goner. A feeling of vulnerability while on two wheels really settled in. Later, after my first several thousand mile trip on my 2013 RT when I stopped for gas on the Intestate in Idaho and was walking into the travel center, I suddenly realized I was feeling a whole lot safer on the RT at 80 mph than I ever did on the Goldwing at 70 mph. For me, the Spyder truly re-instilled the joy of riding.

I was going to trike my Goldwing using a conversion from a wrecked 'wing. What I found was front end wrecked 'wings were selling at something like $6k to $8k from an insurance company sales yard. If I added $1k for shipping, $1k for a new rake kit, and $1k for painting plus the $12k market value of my 'wing I would easily be in it for $21k plus. That was before I factored in who knows how many hundreds of hours of labor to take the conversion off the wreck and put it on mine. There would be no significant salvage value for all the left over parts and pieces from the two bikes.

It made a lot more sense to pay $15k for the 2013 RT with 650 miles, especially considering the Spyder was designed from the ground up to be three wheels rather than being cobbled together to be three wheels. In the end I got a much better 3 wheeler for about $10k less money. I saw that as a no brainer!

I've done some dumb things in life, but switching from the Goldwing to the Spyder is not one of them!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I have never drop any of my GW and been riding them since 1984 (knock very hard on wood) came close a few times. But riding two up and loaded it was getting a little more challenging and not as fun and I always said if I hurt myself thats one thing but if I hurt her thats whole different story. So I got a Spyder in 2020 and love it and she does too on the trip we just took she enjoyed it more and we rode every day for two week then we took on the GW a year ago. I still have my GW and still ride it solo but two up it always the Spyder and ride it solo more then the GW. Like I said before I should be in jail because it has to be illegal to have this much fun riding the spyder now days at my age I just feel safer and more relaxed and enjoy the ride and she does too

Spyder Garage

Really surprised at all the current and former wing riders. Never rode a GW, but mine's a similar story. After owning it for 9 years, dropped my Rocket III Touring with the wife on back in a parking lot. Nothing hurt but my pride. What made it even worse was, I couldn't pick it up by myself! Had to have the wifes help. That was the moment of truth. Sold it and had a '20 RTL in less than 2 weeks. Lovin' it, but do miss my Rocket. It is still the most awesome machine I've ever ridden. No regrets on the switch though, and the wife loves it!

Spyder Garage

Have an 18 Gold Wing Tour. Love it.
    Have a 17 ST1300, new. Love it.
    Have a 20 RT, Ann loves it.
    Spent 5 weeks with a quartet of 2022 units: RTLTD, F3LTD special series, a Ryker 900, and a Ryker Rally. Ann really likes the Rally. Might have to order one.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've owned 5 Goldwings from a 1983 to a 2004. I switched due to my 5'1" hight and after 36 years I found the Wings to be getting bigger and taller. Love my F3 Ltd.

B8237CAA-247F-4932-8146-D038114BEE89_4_5005_c.jpeg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

Well--- does a Valkyrie count?????? Took off the cop fairing and put on a Bullet style faring, hopped it up a bit. It was great.....
    YES they do, I had a 2001 Interstate and a 1998 Tourer at the same time. Still have the Tourer.

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Default ex goldwing rider

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    When I decided last June that my 920 pound Goldwing was getting to be too much for me to be comfortable with I traded it in on a new RT. From what I have read on this forum, it seems that a fair number of us here were Goldwing riders before coming to 3 wheels. For me it was an in-garage tip over that trapped my right foot and boot, and try as I might I could not get free. After a lot of horn honking and yelling my wife came to my aid, and with her help was able to get my foot out from under the undamaged Goldwing. While I initially planned on just getting a lighter bike like a Triumph T120, I also wanted to be able to continue to have my wife come with me as my passenger, and she had no interest in the small pillion seats on many bikes. So at her urging I gave the Spyder a try and immediately decided that I wanted one. What made you decide to give up the Wing and come to the world of CanAm?
    bought a new 2007 rode it 4 years 40000 miles had it converted to trike california side car rode another 40000 miiles had rear end collision from another bike in florida after repairs I sold it.Bought a 2014 used rtl rode it 16000 miles sold it and bought 2021 f3l that I currently ride
    2021 f3l , large pedal pad and lamonster lowering rod liquid titanum

Spyder Garage

I'm expecting to go to a 'Wing trike before long. We didn't look at them too seriously due to price difference, but the wife just isn't a comfortable on the RTS as she originally thought, so she never rides on it anymore. She loves when we borrow my brother's 1800, but is still concerned with being on two wheels. So if I want to keep riding, gotta make momma happy.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
    I'm expecting to go to a 'Wing trike before long. We didn't look at them too seriously due to price difference, but the wife just isn't a comfortable on the RTS as she originally thought, so she never rides on it anymore. She loves when we borrow my brother's 1800, but is still concerned with being on two wheels. So if I want to keep riding, gotta make momma happy.
    You both will like it fine. I came off of a 2008 Gold Wing Motor Trike Adventure kit with Independent Rear Suspension, 4-1/2* rake. Loved it. HATED to let it go... hurt me deeply. That baby never failed me in any way. I had it for 6 years...so smooth...so powerful...so reliable...
    I can't do my own maintenance and my old maintenance/mechanic person got out of the business so I had no one else to take it to except the Motor Trike manufacturer in Troup, TX - 300 miles from me. Not do-able. So went with next best thing - 2021 Spyder RT Ltd. The dealer is only 46 miles from me.
    Word of advice: do your research... don't buy a trike with a kit that is not made anymore... finding parts for the trike kit can be a super hassle.
    Good luck. The trike forum I am still on is triketalk.com and the guys are very friendly and helpful. I'll look for you over there... "paws" is the name.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

I had a brand-new 1985 GL 1200 and then a 2006 GL 1800. These were awesome machines! Fast smooth handling was great. But the balancing when coming to a stop especially with someone on the back had always been a pain! Having to worry about falling also was a concern . My reason for going to three wheel spyder... Increase my enjoyment with less work. Simple as that! Also I felt safer on three wheels. Do I miss my Gold Wing, no, it was a great machine though! My first attempt was a 2011 STS spyder it did not have all the things I was looking for. It lacked the horsepower, the overdrive gear it desperately needed, seat height was too high to be able to change directions easily & the nanny control YUK. But I had fun for couple of years on it. Now looking at models over 2017 that corrected every one of these things! My hats off to canam for stepping up their game!

Steve from New York,
    if you hear of anyone selling a 2018 or 2019 F3 sport please let me know :-)
    Last edited by sarecco1; 12-08-2021 at 08:29 AM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just curious, what makes your wife uncomfortable? Is it how her body fits on the seat? In that case the 'wing very well may be more comfortable for sitting on. But if the sideways pull while going around corners and a feeling of being thrown off is the problem going to a 'wing trike won't solve that.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I hated giving up 2 wheels. I've had a dozen or so bikes over the years most recently BMW GSs, my last a R1200GSA LC - best bike I have ever owned. It took me and my wife all over the east coast and Midwest on and off road. A simple slip and fall at a motorcycle event, coincidently, tore my patella tendon and what should have been a simple operation repair turned into 2 botched surgeries and 3 to follow those to leave me with a permanently disabled knee and no ability to ride a 2-wheeler. Not wanting to give up "the lean" I purchased a new Goldwing Tour DCT and had it sent to Tilting Motor Works (http://www.tiltingmotorworks.com) to get their tilting, reverse trike front end installed. It was a beautiful piece of work.

The Goldwing is lightyears ahead of the Spyder. The fit and finish is superb. Puddle lights come on as you approach the bike to light both sides. The glovebox and all the bags automatically unlick when you are near the bike and automatically lock when you walk away. The ignition is keyless. The color screen is larger and nicer. The power from the 6 cylinder is amazingly strong and smooth. The comfort for driver and passenger was excellent. The sound system was amazing. Unfortunately, despite the fact that the bike locks upright at slow speeds and unlocks to allow a leaning motorcycle experience, it was not for a disabled person. I miss the BMW and Honda, but then I miss my old leg, lol.

I like my Spyder. So does my wife. It's just not a motorcycle. It took 500+ miles to get comfortable on it. After a couple thousand miles, it still seems weird, but I am happy to be back on a bike again. The long floorboards are awesome, and I don't need to shift with my left foot (I can't) - so it works for me (and my wife). I've done a lot to it to make it mine (I did the same on the GW) - so I have had both bikes apart and back together. I say that so you know I speak from experience. I still have a Triumph T100 Black - but that is now for friends to ride. The Spyder is comfortable, very stable and still fun. I've had convertibles (that were faster) - but the open air of a bike is better. I am glad to have it. The lack of tip over worry and ease of riding under any conditions make for a pleasant worry-free ride. I have ridden rear wheel trikes and they are just not for me. If Honda made a front wheel trike like the Spyder, however, it is likely that is what I would own (that is if BMW didn't make one, lol).

20210424_122610.jpg

20210903_185429.jpg

Best of luck in your decision, all that said, you can't go wrong with the Spyder. PM me if you have more questions.

Happy Holidays! David
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I had one that was a 2008 model. I currently ride an ST1300 which I will sell once I take delivery of my new RT. Btw, the ST is much more fun to ride than my GL was. I still own a couple of scooters. The most recent is my 2020 Honda PCX. For around town there is no better bike to ride. Light, nimble, and has plenty of power to ride anywhere but the interstate.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Just curious, what makes your wife uncomfortable? Is it how her body fits on the seat? In that case the 'wing very well may be more comfortable for sitting on. But if the sideways pull while going around corners and a feeling of being thrown off is the problem going to a 'wing trike won't solve that.
    On the trike it is well-known in the trike community that you need to put pressure on the foot board opposite of the way you are turning.
    If turning left, put pressure on the right foot board and... turning right, put pressure on the left foot board.
    This works very well for both the driver and passenger. Keeps you from feeling like the trike wants to throw you off.
    I use this same method on the Spyder - works with it too.
    Last edited by Pooch; 12-08-2021 at 12:24 PM.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    On the trike it is well-known in the trike community that you need to put pressure on the foot board opposite of the way you are turning.
    If turning left, put pressure on the right foot board and... turning right, put pressure on the left foot board.
    This works very well for both the driver and passenger. Keeps you from feeling like the trike wants to throw you off.
    I use this same method on the Spyder - works with it too.
    I tried telling my wife this but of course she doesn't listen, she never does listen to me but if anyone else told her this she would believe it. lol
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    I tried telling my wife this but of course she doesn't listen, she never does listen to me but if anyone else told her this she would believe it. lol
    Preachin’ to the choir!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    I had one that was a 2008 model. I currently ride an ST1300 which I will sell once I take delivery of my new RT. Btw, the ST is much more fun to ride than my GL was. I still own a couple of scooters. The most recent is my 2020 Honda PCX. For around town there is no better bike to ride. Light, nimble, and has plenty of power to ride anywhere but the interstate.
    After my 2nd Goldwing, I switched to a blue ST1300. Loved that bike, but it was pretty hot to drive. My wife had an first year FJR at the time and it was scalding hot. You could burn your hand on the tank at times. I installed a auto cruise control on the ST, that was really nice. Good winter project. Learned a LOT about taking off tupperware.... something that needs to be done to do about anything on a RT.

Hope you enjoy the RT as much as I am.

Tom

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wahrsuul, You should take a look at the "Sturgis R18" Goldwing reverse trike conversions...The Sturgis company is working on the 2018 and newer GW conversions now...Should be available in the spring of 2022...

I have ridden the R18 and LOVED it...But it lacked 3 features I liked better on my Spyder...Poor reverse, no parking brake and it had a clutch ...The 2018 & newer GW with the DCT fixes two of those problems...And I think there is a aftermarket parking brake available...larryd

http://sturgistrike.com/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Wahrsuul, You should take a look at the "Sturgis R18" Goldwing reverse trike conversions...The Sturgis company is working on the 2018 and newer GW conversions now...Should be available in the spring of 2022...

I have ridden the R18 and LOVED it...But it lacked 3 features I liked better on my Spyder...Poor reverse, no parking brake and it had a clutch ...The 2018 & newer GW with the DCT fixes two of those problems...And I think there is a aftermarket parking brake available...larryd

http://sturgistrike.com/
    Larry, look again. I believe that the DCT wing has a parking brake, std.

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This thread took me on a trip down memory lane. The original gold wings from mid to late seventies were naked motorcycles, with point ignitions.

I did a tune-up on a clients and had a chance to ride it to check on the effects of timing advance and I think I would buy one if they were still available today. Zero Tupperware and a low center of gravity.
    Last edited by SportsterDoc; 12-09-2021 at 12:07 PM.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

I am, rode a GW for 10 years. I procratinatyed for 3 years before I bought my RTL, wish I switched sooner. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    This thread took me on a trip down memory lane. The original gold wings from mid to late seventies were naked motorcycles, with point ignitions.

I did a tune-up on a clients and had a chance to ride it to check on the effects of timing advance and I think I would buy one if they were still available today. Zero Tupperware and a low center of gravity.
    My "Hunley" rescue bike that I show at times and ride in the summers:
    CabinFever18.jpg
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    My "Hunley" rescue bike that I show at times and ride in the summers:
    CabinFever18.jpg
    Nice!
    Very nice!
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black