Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Who is a former Goldwing rider?

When I decided last June that my 920 pound Goldwing was getting to be too much for me to be comfortable with I traded it in on a new RT. From what I have read on this forum, it seems that a fair number of us here were Goldwing riders before coming to 3 wheels. For me it was an in-garage tip over that trapped my right foot and boot, and try as I might I could not get free. After a lot of horn honking and yelling my wife came to my aid, and with her help was able to get my foot out from under the undamaged Goldwing. While I initially planned on just getting a lighter bike like a Triumph T120, I also wanted to be able to continue to have my wife come with me as my passenger, and she had no interest in the small pillion seats on many bikes. So at her urging I gave the Spyder a try and immediately decided that I wanted one. What made you decide to give up the Wing and come to the world of CanAm?
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    When I decided last June that my 920 pound Goldwing was getting to be too much for me to be comfortable with I traded it in on a new RT. From what I have read on this forum, it seems that a fair number of us here were Goldwing riders before coming to 3 wheels. For me it was an in-garage tip over that trapped my right foot and boot, and try as I might I could not get free. After a lot of horn honking and yelling my wife came to my aid, and with her help was able to get my foot out from under the undamaged Goldwing. While I initially planned on just getting a lighter bike like a Triumph T120, I also wanted to be able to continue to have my wife come with me as my passenger, and she had no interest in the small pillion seats on many bikes. So at her urging I gave the Spyder a try and immediately decided that I wanted one. What made you decide to give up the Wing and come to the world of CanAm?
    I owned two, quite awhile back ..... but I began to have balance issues so it was the Spyder or my Cobra roadster. .... I tried the HD trike and the GoldWing conversion but I though both suc*ed ..... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Pretty much my story without the Goldwing drop. Went to a CTX 700 for a while. After several more years, even that became heavier than was comfortable for me. Then got the F3L so I could continue riding. To be honest, though, I would go back to the Goldwing in a heartbeat if my legs could handle it.
    Thunder's just the noise. Lightning does the work.

Spyder Garage

Not a Goldwing owner but a variety of BMWs. I had been thinking about the Spyders for a few years when a low speed tip over with my wife on the back of the R1200C pushed me over the edge to at least get her a Spyder. We scored a very sweet deal on a 2014 RTL here on SL back in the fall of 2017 that was supposed to be "her" Spyder and I planned to continue to ride two wheels for a good while longer. I am still doing that but when it comes time for both of us to go, we take the Spyder because her upper body strength and stamina is not sufficient for her to drive more than an hour. That relegates us to either one hour rides on separate bikes or two-up on the Spyder so she can get her hour in, then let me take over. I don't mind the passenger seat as it gives me a chance to enjoy the photography assignment that goes along with the back seat. That's something she got to do exclusively when we were two-up on a bike. I do take the Spyder on solo runs now and then but my first preference is still for two wheels when riding alone.
    Last edited by cruisinTX; 11-27-2021 at 05:59 PM.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

We are in the market for a spyder, but after owning three Goldwings we went the Ural route before coming to our senses. Wife enjoys riding but getting on and off the wing was getting a bit much. We both like the Ural but it requires constant attention. We’ve decided to downsize the stable so once we get rid of the Ural and a TW we will be searching for a good deal. Took the MSF course and no one wanted to ride the RT so I got to ride it through out the whole course. Seems to be the ticket for us. Time will tell.

Spyder Garage

In a roundabout way, yes - my last (a 2005) being about 15 years ago. At the time, my wife rode with me quite a bit - but (as many of us well know) the older we get - the heavier the bikes get and I progressively traded for lighter and lighter bikes. ST1300, Super Tenere, FJR, Versys 1000, V-Strom, etc and finally my last 2 wheeler was a Tracer 900 GT (now for sale). It’s pretty light and a kick to ride, but I was reaching the point where I just didn’t have the confidence I used to have. On top of that, my wife had very little desire to ride on most of the smaller bikes - as compared to the Wing. So far, she has taken one short ride with me on the Spyder and loves it! We are both looking forward to more “two-up” rides next year!
    2020 Spyder RTL

Enjoy life today
    Yesterday is gone
    Tomorrow may never come

Spyder Garage

We had a 1500 years ago and put a lot of miles on it. We have been sport touring riders for many years with our last one being a Triumph Trophy SE. A great bike, but we had 80,000 on it and were looking for a replacement. I was not as confident as I once was when riding two up and loaded so we made the decision to buy our RT. We are very happy with the RT for two up traveling. I have a Moto Guzzi V7 for my solo adventures. The best of both worlds for me.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I rode a GL1500 for quite a few years before switching to a 2012 RT. I had two considerations: first , the odds catching up that I would have to deal with the full weight of the 1500 in the not too distant future and second, riding comfort for the Mrs. She is on the tall side and the (89) GL1500 was not really not all that comfortable. The RT gave her more room to stretch and was immediately more comfortable. Not a single regret at switching and now the RT has become a 21 F3L.

Spyder Garage

I have owned 5 Goldwing's in a row in the last 20 years , and I still have a one year only , 1986 SEI ( special edition injected ) one of the first Fuel Injected Goldwings ever built . real supper nice , super smooth , BUT also super Heavy ....LOL I am 70 years old , bad back after 4 major back surgery's , and Pace maker , and the Bad part Arthritis in both knees . soooooo I hadn't had it out of my Garage in 2021 , then in July of 2021 I traded for a like new , ( 13,000 miles ) 2011 Spyder RT . runs , rides , & drives like new , and I have already put it to over 16,000 miles on it . and I Love It , and I am sure it has already and maybe a few more years to come Incresed my riding years. I wouldn't trade it for anything I could name .

Spyder Garage

Loved my GW trike. But it became increasingly difficult to find a qualified trike mechanic within a reasonable distance to perform annual maintenance on the trike kit part of the Wing. I have no tools or skills to be able to work on a vehicle. I had been eye-balling the RTL Spyder for 3 years but wanted that big rear trunk storage that they first added to the F3. When 2020 RTL Spyder came out it had that big storage trunk. The Gold Wing trike mechanic I used announced he was closing up.. so that was just in time for the 2021 RTL Spyder to come out. Pulled the trigger on it, tearfully sold the Wing,,,am a satisfied Spyder ryder now! My Spyder dealer is only 46 miles away.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Former Goldwinger here too.

Spyder Garage

For the last 35+ years..... My rides were, Goldwing GL1200, GL1500, GL1800, Honda ST1300, GL1800, Spyder RTL 1330SE, GL1800/California Sidecar Trike. The Spyder went away due to lack of good dealer support/competence in my area and the servicing expense. I am happier on my CSC trike than I was on my Spyder. I find my trike to be more comfortable, smoother, more powerful, more reliable, and just plain more fun to ride than my old Spyder. I think it's short sighted to think All traditional trikes do not handle as well as a Spyder. Just as it's short sighted to think all Spyder models and years handle the same as each other. Guess someone has to be disagreeable. Today it's me..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Well--- does a Valkyrie count?????? Took off the cop fairing and put on a Bullet style faring, hopped it up a bit. It was great.....
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I've owned my '97 1500 Goldwing since 1998. After riding for about six years, I mounted a 2-seater sidecar to it so that my kids could ride with me. I currently have more than 165k miles on the rig, and now my kids are grown, and mostly gone. Over the years I've grown to appreciate the comfort, convenience and safety of three wheels. However, the sidecar is no longer needed, and my Spyder is much more fun, as well as easier to ride. Although I occasionally remove the sidecar and ride the Wing as a two-wheeler (for maintenance or repair), I've never considered going back to 2 wheels exclusively. I used to tell my riding buddies that I went to 3 wheels early to "avoid the rush". If we want to keep riding, most of us will get there eventually.
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Spyder Garage

I still have a custom GL1000, but sold the GL1800 after buying the RTL this year. Just not enough garage space for them all, and when two-up touring it was taking chances whenever pulling into a gravel parking lot.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Similar story,different bikes. From 1986 to 2011 I rode Yamaha Ventures and Royal Stars. In 2011 I wrecked my last Royal Star and realized my situational awarenes was not what it should be and contemplated giving up riding until a friend of mine did quit and offered me his Goldwing
    trike. I rode it for 4 years but did not enjoy it. I sold it and bought my Spyder and loved it,still do.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 11-28-2021 at 09:07 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    I sold my Goldwing to buy my F3L……. There’s alot less to think about when riding the Spyder. I miss my Wing, but, I think I may live longer on 3 wheels……. time will tell.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Interesting stories here about GW to Canam Spyder. My story is similar to others here, a 2005 GW conversion to a 2012 RoadSmith. Got tired of riding the logging truck suspension, in February 2020 I bit the silver bullet and opted for the RTL, no regrets, no look backs. Wife and I are quit satisfied with our Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Actually had a Goldwing GL1800 with a Mototrike kit. Loved my Goldwing. All I had to do is put gas and oil in it and go. However, after buying my 2019 F3L, it was like going from a truck to a sportscar. Love the ride and handling of the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

My son’s lives in my garage

8CE419BB-23BC-4ABB-8131-621E49AA303B.jpg
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

We like our 2014 RTL very much. Great in stop/go traffic, traffic seems to be increasing every year and no new infrastructure being putting in place. Still have my retirement Goldwing - '85 Limited Edition FI model. Like riding two wheels. Have owned an '08 1800 - sold a few years back and a '95 1500 as well - sold to make room for the Spyder.

Had been looking at and researching the Spyder for a while, don't want a conversion, still an old bike and costly. Sonya's brother was doing the same. Wanted one that was designed to tow, Spyder is the only one on the market, and my joints and health are still in good condition so looked a t a three year window to my 70th birthday for the change.

A riding friend blind sided me when he bought a 2018 F3 Limited in the spring of this year. He was needing a driver when he went to pick up his Spyder after having it serviced. He arranged for a demo day - I got to ride a 2020 RTL. Quickly learned it was like riding a snowmobile, and enjoyed an afternoon on it. Borrowed the F3 for the Mrs to ride as passenger and she liked it.

Started to look for one and through the friend of a friend network found our 2014 RTL with 9000ish Kms. Did a test ride and Sonya liked the RTL over the F3. It had everything we wanted, and I was made an offer I couldn't refuse. Sold the 1500, and brought the Spyder home to its new home - spring of this year. Some 9000 Kms on it since bought. It's also the white Pearl colour to match the trailer I have.

My '85 Goldwing is not going anywhere soon, it's my retirement project - you know the what can I do to it today to make it more user friendly, need something to tinker with. Did a full paint job and engine rebuild over the past 2 years, and have a few more small projects to do to it.

As an aside, I mentioned that Sonya's brother Dave was looking at the Spyder as well. When I brought the RTL home and showed him it, he was mildly jealous. Let him have it for a weekend so he could get a good feel for the Spyder. He and his Mrs rode it for the weekend and decided it was definitely a good option for themselves. She liked the stability and safety feeling, as does Sonya. Dave's wife saw that he really wanted a Spyder so she told him to get one and sell his 1800. Missed out on a 2014 RTL by a week, but I borrowed my friends 2018 F3 for him to try. They both liked it. The Mrs preferred the F3 over the RTL as a passenger, opposite to what Sonya preferred. Arranged a meeting between Dave and my riding friend, they came to an agreement, and now Dave own's the F3.

Will keep the 2014 RTL for a few years - maybe, who knows, cross Canada trip planned for next year on it. Like the F3 as a solo ride, but the F3 Limited is a good option for later. Just did a full oil change on Dave's 2018 F3 and it's a lot less time consuming than the RTL.

Cheers
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

I've owned a 2000 and 2005. Had to give up the 05 cus I needed a knee replacement. Beautiful rides, just plane heavy. Road Roadstars, Venture, and V star 1300. Getting older, weaker and arthritis moved me to the 2016 RTS I currently ride. I also now have a CTX700, but will probably be saying good bye to it soon. Spyder much safer and wife doesn't worry when I'm out riding.

Spyder Garage

I'm another member of the club. Have owned GoldWings since 1989. Still own 3. ( I know,I know) I sold my trike this summer and just acquired a 2015 RT and immediately put it to sleep for the winter. I still have a 78, not running at the moment, an 1800 and my old faithful 86 which has been my winter bike ( in Florida ) for years. Due to arthritis in my hands, have decided the bikes with clutches have to go so am starting to thin the herd. Hope the Rt keeps me on the road for a while longer.

Spyder Garage

I have ridden GoldWing's for many years. We currently have a 2021 Goldwing Tour. We use it as a parts demo bike and I ride it.
    We also have several Spyders. I rode our 2020 RT on a 5000 mile trip this Summer and just back from a 4000 mile trip with the new Wing.

If riding together we always take a Spyder. Just so much easier. I also find that the Spyder is a lot easier when going into National Parks, etc. You don't have to be concerned about parking it, etc. You can pull off about anywhere and take pictures easily.
    I do still enjoy riding 2 wheels though and the new Goldwings are so easy to ride.

If you are to a point where you are slightly uncomfortable for any reason on a heavier bike or ride 2 up most of the time the Spyder is a great alternative. You will not regret it.
    Pictures below are from a trip this Summer on the RT and a trip this Fall on the GoldWing.

20210709_103908.jpg
    20211104_095153.jpg
    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had a 2002. I loved that bike! It was a rocketship!!! And so comfortable! It was customized and awesome with tons of lights at night. I only sold it because I could occasionally smell anti-freeze and was not able to locate the source because access to the top of the motor was so difficult. I still would have bought my spyder, but I would have kept the wing. Once I drove a spyder, I was hooked! No worries about tipping over(bad left knee) and it is fun and comfortable.
    IMGP0180 - Copy.jpg
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green