Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Still Riding? I think I am now done for the season...

I think winter is here for real now, with 19 degrees this morning and a "feels like" of 10 degrees. I used to ride until the temps dropped below 32. As I got older, and less tolerant of cold weather my threshold has raised. For awhile it was 40, then 50 and now it seems its around 60 degrees. I ride for the fun of it, and bundling up and wearing a closed visor on my helmet, plus heavy gloves, takes away most of the fun for me. So I think I am now done for the season and likely will not be riding until mid to late March of next year. Of course, its easy enough to pull the cover off, unhook the Battery Tender and check the tire pressures and go for a ride should we have a nice warm day before that, but that's not too likely to happen. I hated living in the deep south due to the unbearable heat in the summer, and the bugs, but right about now South Texas is looking mighty good.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I feel the same way. But I want to move to where there is more heat than cold. Somewhere done that way has to be just right .

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just ordered this https://www.amazon.com/Bluemagic-Wat...61137160&psc=1 today on Amazon Prime Black Friday for $159 to keep me going with my commute which is less than 30 min each way.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    I think winter is here for real now, with 19 degrees this morning and a "feels like" of 10 degrees. I used to ride until the temps dropped below 32. As I got older, and less tolerant of cold weather my threshold has raised. For awhile it was 40, then 50 and now it seems its around 60 degrees. I ride for the fun of it, and bundling up and wearing a closed visor on my helmet, plus heavy gloves, takes away most of the fun for me. So I think I am now done for the season and likely will not be riding until mid to late March of next year. Of course, its easy enough to pull the cover off, unhook the Battery Tender and check the tire pressures and go for a ride should we have a nice warm day before that, but that's not too likely to happen. I hated living in the deep south due to the unbearable heat in the summer, and the bugs, but right about now South Texas is looking mighty good.
    Last week ( Fri. ) was my last day for this season. ..... Although I now downhill ski ( 0-F & up ) I no longer ride down to 30 F. like I used to at a much younger age .... 60 F + I ride for pleasure ....50 to 60 F, I will ride distances for groceries .... below 50 , it has to be an emergency It's not so much the temps but the pleasure factor ..... at 74 if it's not FUN it's not Done ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

We are in an area where we can ride most any month of the year. Last year, we had snow on the ground for a couple days for the winter season. Our first year here, I rode on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, etc. Temps down to the 30's were acceptable for me at that time. I guess I have become acclimated to the warmer temps now. 30 degrees now seems pretty cold to me. This AM, it was in the low 20's. No way did I ride today. What a difference a year makes.

Still going to ride all year, but going to be a little more picky. Temps in the 60's coming our way. Think I will ride some then.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

For me 40 is about the cutoff. Used to ride down into the 20's on the wing but no more. I've never spent money on heated jackets and pants because here in NE PA once they start spraying the roads with that liquid brine/salt that's it. It just stays in the pavement until a couple of decent rains. With the bikes I could ride in the tire tracks on occasion and keep it off the bike but that's not happening with the Spyder.
    2018 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Haven’t ridden since late October because I hit a deer, but NO ONE has been able to ride at all in the last 4 weeks in my area. Almost a normal (1990’s) weather pattern around the lakes. We’ve had almost 20 inches of snow in November so far. We got 5 today possibly another 5-7 tonight. It’s either rained or snowed in the snow belts everyday all month. Can’t remember it being this messy for years. Been warm winters for the past 4 years but not this year. I’m a youngster so riding to work 11 miles away at 32 and home in mid 40’s is fine with me. Pre-snowmobile thickening of blood

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    Haven’t ridden since late October because I hit a deer, but NO ONE has been able to ride at all in the last 4 weeks in my area. Almost a normal (1990’s) weather pattern around the lakes. We’ve had almost 20 inches of snow in November so far. We got 5 today possibly another 5-7 tonight. It’s either rained or snowed in the snow belts everyday all month. Can’t remember it being this messy for years. Been warm winters for the past 4 years but not this year. I’m a youngster so riding to work 11 miles away at 32 and home in mid 40’s is fine with me. Pre-snowmobile thickening of blood
    I am in the same boat as you, I was done riding the spyder in Oct. ( off topic, we have had rain here also, now we are getting snow, the higher elevations are expecting up to 12 inches of snow).

Back on topic: I usually when it gets to about 50 degrees.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    Just ordered this https://www.amazon.com/Bluemagic-Wat...61137160&psc=1 today on Amazon Prime Black Friday for $159 to keep me going with my commute which is less than 30 min each way.
    That's the ticket! Thanks for the link.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Done with the Spyder, finished prepping the sleds. Waiting for winter.

Spyder Garage

Haven't had any measurable snow here in the mid-Atlantic in a couple of years, and I used to pride myself on getting a ride in at least one day in every month. The cold temperatures were manageable on my Goldwing. Now I don't have much interest in braving the cold except for my traditional New Years Day ride. I'll still keep T'Challa ready for that occasional 50+ degree day that might pop up.
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 50°F or Better

I have joined the 'ole man weather club'.
    Outside temperatures must be 50°F or more before I will try to get the Spyder out to Ryde.

So far I have been able to enjoy 14 days in November 2021. One day at a time. Come on December 2021 and let me Ryde. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I am starting to creep in to that club myself, the bike, 40, the sled, 0 to 10 above!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Still riding in Nebraska. It will be the high 50s and low 60s for the next several days.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We don't really have "winter" where I live in NC so I've always ridden year round. Health issues will keep me from doing that this year but I still hope to get out once in a while on nice days. It's not unusual to get up to 60 in January and upper 40s are normal. Very little snow (last years total was around 1.5" and none of it lasted more than a day) so that's not an issue.

Spyder Garage

Up in southern WI, my Spyder has been in hibernation for two weeks. The small bike is still at the ready.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

We love to ride, so, 10 years ago, sold the house and moved to Las Vegas. Yes, it is hot in the summer, but the other 9 months are great. We got a place in Montana to summer at. Works for us!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey, you guys are making me feel good! I've been telling folks the past few years when I didn't ride, the weather index was below my "Wimp" threshold. If it's not above 40 in the morning and not forecast to be in the 60's and sunny by early afternoon, I don't ride! Now I feel much less like a wimp and more like a member of the wise crowd!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Once they salt the roads I'm done. Learned my lesson pitting my back rim on my HD and don't want the hassle of giving the bikes a bath after a late season joy ride.
    Cycles don't have the corrosion protection of cages.
    John
    "some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium

Spyder Garage

I never stop riding although I don't take the Spyder out after they salt the roads. I have an old, not so pretty bike for that. I don't have a car so if wife is out in her SUV and I need to be somewhere it's time to gear up have at it. Retired so I can pick and choose my battles. I bought a Toyota Tacoma once. Nice truck and I drove it less than 3000 miles a year. I put an average of 25,000 on my bikes. Tags, insurance, took up space in the garage, sent the Tacoma down the road.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I feel it! I sold my Ryker October and ordered a 2022 F3S deliver in March. In W. NY there's no riding until then anyway. Just waiting....
    Vince F in Niagara Falls
    2022 Spyder F3 Special Edition
    2020 Ryker Rally, sold
    2022 F3S , Stock Lamonster black diamond Monolith Black Satin

Spyder Garage

Weathermen said that we would see some snow overnight, any accumulation would be just on the grass. Heard the plows go by during the night and knew that was not a good sign! Woke up to 4" and fired up the snowblower. 113 days to Spring... and oh, yeah, we have a new 2022 RT Limited on order, so Spring sounds even better than normal!
    --
    Bob L.
    Worcester County Massachusetts
    www.rk-mass2.org

Spyder Garage

I just came back from a nice 60 mile ride. All the leaves are down now. The evergreens are now providing the green to the landscape. My temp reached 70 degrees. All I can say is

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Yes sir Vito! 60 is my minimum ride criteria, even here in Sunny California! Being 75 years old has something to do with it alo!
    Last edited by redrazor; 11-27-2021 at 02:23 PM. Reason: added comment

Spyder Garage

I'm going for a ride today. Its relatively warm and sunny.
    50 to 60 degrees here in Northern Nevada.
    I'll keep riding until the roads are salted.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack