Spyder Garage

Default Ground clearance question

We have a 2014 RT that we haul around in a self built 7x12 camper trailer/Spyder hauler. We like to boondock camp and that usually involves not so smooth dirt roads. Other than rocks getting stuck in the drive belt, we also have issues with it bottoming out. Does anyone know of a lift kit or some way of getting more ground clearance for my Spyder? I would like to make it more "off road" friendly.

Spyder Garage

I would say get yourself a couple Rykers if you ride two up, they are more of a boon docker ride than the RT! Even if you stiffen your shocks up tight you are only going to gain just a few inches, then you will have to play with the set up when you get back on tar!! Good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Trade it on a Ryker or two, or better yet, if you really like to ride the rough leave the RT at home and take an ATV. The RT was not designed nor intended to be ridden off pavement. If you did modify it for rough roads then it may no longer be suitable or safe for asphalt at 70 mph.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Trade it on a Ryker or two, or better yet, if you really like to ride the rough leave the RT at home and take an ATV. The RT was not designed nor intended to be ridden off pavement. If you did modify it for rough roads then it may no longer be suitable or safe for asphalt at 70 mph.
    Ground clearance can be achieved ( I've done it ), however as IMS stated there will be a trade-off for any normal road riding. .... the other possibility is to increase the weight capability of the springs and there would be trade-off's in doing that. I have found on rougher terrain the speed you travel at needs to be much, much slower. ..... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Seems like you want it to do something it was really not designed for.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How much weight do you have on the spyder when riding in these areas? Are your shocks still stock?

How much height do you have when loaded up? ( From ground to bottom of frunk)