Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Comfort Seat Worth it?

I have pre-ordered a 2022 Spyder RT Ltd. It was ordered by the dealer and I put a down payment on it. There are no accessories included with the original order. Since its been my experience that stock seats on any bike isn't worth much I'm considering ordering the comfort seat. For those that have ridden both is the comfort seat worth it? I'm on the heavier side and any extra firmness in the seat is usually worth it.

My second question is does the OEM rider backrest fit both the stock heated seat and the heated comfort seat?

Thanks for any comments.

Spyder Garage

Remember this; One size does not fit all.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

My wife sat on a regular 2021 and a Sea to Sky. The comfort seat is the same as the one on the S2S except the stitching and logo. She said get the comfort seat.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    My wife sat on a regular 2021 and a Sea to Sky. The comfort seat is the same as the one on the S2S except the stitching and logo. She said get the comfort seat.
    I beg to differ. A lot of people say that the comfort seat is the same as the S2S seat other than the stitching. I have a 2020 RTL and switched it to the Heated Comfort Seat as soon as I got it. I have since sat on numerous Sea to Sky bikes , and to me, the S2S seat is hard as a rock compared to my comfort seat. I DO believe it is dimensionally the same as a S2S, but I don't think the foam is the same. Previously I owned a 2015 RTL and had switched it to the Heated Comfort Seat also. You won't get me to go back to the stock seat.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Interesting.
    My stock 2021 RTL came with the heated seat and grips. I find it to be very comfortable. Even after hours of riding I have not had to use my Air Hawk pad which was a must on my 2008 Gold Wing trike stock seat.
    However, I rode passenger seat on the Sea to Sky on a good test ride put on by Can-Am and I thought that seat to be a little more cushy than my RTL.
    I think I would be happy with either seat.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

I have had two comfort seats. 09/RS, 2014 RT-S. IMO, an upgrade from the OEM. Able to do 150 miles without problems, compared to 50 or so with the OEM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    The Sea to Sky seat uses a layer of memory foam also, as I understand it it is the only seat offered from CanAm with memory foam. I find the seat the most comfortable OEM seat I’ve ever had. But as RICZ said, “one size does not fit all,” so relying on what I think or what others think is probably just a crap shoot when it comes to your own personal comfort. Good luck with your choice.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sagebrush View Post
    I have pre-ordered a 2022 Spyder RT Ltd. It was ordered by the dealer and I put a down payment on it. There are no accessories included with the original order. Since its been my experience that stock seats on any bike isn't worth much I'm considering ordering the comfort seat. For those that have ridden both is the comfort seat worth it? I'm on the heavier side and any extra firmness in the seat is usually worth it.

My second question is does the OEM rider backrest fit both the stock heated seat and the heated comfort seat?

Thanks for any comments.
    You are correct about the extra firmness stuff. The rider's weight has a major factor on seat comfortably.
    So a lot of the seat issues can be made doable, but may have an extra cost. Which by the way is the only way to get quality ryde time.
    There are still some good 'seat options' but you will need to do your homework.

As far as the backrest goes, BRP in the past has always made two different types. So most likely the backrest for the OEM Seat will not fit the 'Comfort Seat'.

Your Spyder Dealer should know for sure......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks for any comments.
    Seats are a hard thing to compare for you, every ones butts are different in a lot of ways and like different things. I have had both and like the comfort seat just a hair better than the stock!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I have the comfort seat and my dad got the comfort seat on his new spyder. I ended up cutting mine up, adding the gel pad from Dave, added the heat pads and put 2 layers of memory foam over everything. When installing the memory foam,after spraying the 3M, I actually sat on the seat for 30 minutes while it dried. It formed perfect to my needs. A guy I know that makes profession drag strip seats told me to do that and wiggle a bit. As it glues, air pockets can form and glue release forming the perfect fit. (Only for driver not passenger) He stapled on the cover, it’s a perfect fit. My wife sat on both, as a passenger, Oem and comfort and could really tell the difference. She liked the comfort. As for the difference between the pre 20 vs post 20, sitting on both comfort seats, the post 20 is a touch wider especially the passenger and much firmer. But that’s comparing the generations not apples to apples. Wife liked the comfort, I got the ultimate and heat by doing my own work much cheaper. Best of 2 worlds. I agree with the statement everyone is different. I’d get some seat time, add an air hawk first then jump. I can say this. Even though I have a perfectly fit seat now, on trips I never let my butt or wife’s butt get used to the seat position. Every fuel stop we switch thing up. I start with nothing just seat. Next stop add air hawks. Next stop remove air hawk bladder and insert a gel pad. Next stop start all over. Changing up is our success pattern when touring and riding 8-10 hours everyday for a period of days.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know about recent models, but with my 2014, the main difference between stock and comfort seats is the added legroom of the comfort seat.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I appreciate the replies. Why I'm a little confused is this, if I go to build my own Spyder RT Ltd on the Can Am website it only shows one riders backrest and doesn't flag it if you add the heated comfort seat but if you go to accessories in general it does show a different backrest for the heated comfort seat but it isn't clear which model or year of Spyder it is for. If the rider backrest is indeed different for the comfort seat then I would order it and the associated backrest. What I'm trying to avoid is buying a backrest for the stock seat and then find out I need the heated comfort seat and have to buy an additional backrest. There really isn't enough information available on the Can Am site.

Spyder Garage

My backrest was different in 2017 for comfort vs Oem. I ordered mine after I got the bike. I’d do the same if I was you. The dealer should offer 10% off so you’re ahead anyway to wait. Then you know it’s right. Dad ordered the comfort seat and LED’s and then purchased everything after. The dealer took off some since he ordered the comfort. The site you get both seats which is a waste since they don’t deduct the original seat. I’d order after, it’s the same price, with discount its basically saying the post order is tax free if discount applied.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Like RICZ stated - One Size DOES NOT fit all.
    With the off season coming WAIT!
    Find a local group and ask to sit on their various saddles.
    But remember a few minutes on a saddle will only give you a ROUGH idea.
    There are numerous other Brands out there and you don't want to put out a Grand just to realize later OOOPS!
    A few will even give you a few weeks to try it out and if NOT satisfied return it (Custom Colors, patterns, etc. do not apply)

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

IMG_3181.jpgIMG_3180.jpgIMG_3182.jpg

Thanks for any comments.
    I have now ridden my heated comfort seat for an extended period of time and can say that it is the most comfortable seat I have had. Before this I had a Corbin that was very firm, rock hard. Was told that is better to have on a long ride. In comparison with this seat , does not compare. The comfort seat has extra firm cushioning in all the right places. Also the material keeps you locked inlace, no slip no slide. The extra expense over the stock seat was worth the money.

I appreciate the replies. Why I'm a little confused is this, if I go to build my own Spyder RT Ltd on the Can Am website it only shows one riders backrest and doesn't flag it if you add the heated comfort seat but if you go to accessories in general it does show a different backrest for the heated comfort seat but it isn't clear which model or year of Spyder it is for. If the rider backrest is indeed different for the comfort seat then I would order it and the associated backrest. What I'm trying to avoid is buying a backrest for the stock seat and then find out I need the heated comfort seat and have to buy an additional backrest. There really isn't enough information available on the Can Am site.
    So only one backrest is for the 2020 and up model year. So the photo on the left above is for 2019 and prior. In the pictures the one you order is without the BRP logo in the center of the back rest. SKU 219400957

Hope this helps!
    TicketBait

Spyder Garage

That helps a lot. Since I have degenerative discs throughout my lumbar spine I just cannot ride without a backrest. If the backrest works for both the stock and comfort seats then I can order just that and wait and see if I need the comfort seat.

Spyder Garage

That helps a lot. Since I have degenerative discs throughout my lumbar spine I just cannot ride without a backrest. If the backrest works for both the stock and comfort seats then I can order just that and wait and see if I need the comfort seat.
    I rode with the sto9ck seat for a short while and after sitting on a Sea 2 Sky, decided on getting the BRP heated comfort seat (Same as the S2S except for stitching). Both my wife and I like it a lot. I do use the BRP backrest and like that as well. My wife and I both ride ATGATT and my back armor hits the backrest and I had to get used to it. I am 6'2" 245. My wife is little.

That said, I ride with a WildAss seat cover and find it raises me a bit and that is more comfortable for me. Coming from a BMW R1200 GSA, I find the Spyder more cramped. See my other options in my sig.

Best of luck!
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I am probably going to get blasted, but I think the only difference between the stock seat and comfort is it gives you almost 2 inches of leg room. UtahPete stated that. I'm basically agreeing with his statement. I needed the extra stretch.

Spyder Garage

My personal experience with the two that I have owned have been based on additional miles able to travel without the OEM "mush" factor kicking in. It may be the extra two inches or so set back, but the butt seems to be able to go another 100 miles more than the OEM stuff the Spyders come with.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I swapped out my OEM seat for the comfort seat and noticed a huge difference. But I still had that issue of on long rides, in hot weather, with shorts on, my butt would still sweat, so I ended up buying a sheepskin and with both new seat and the sheepskin, it's a very comfortable ride without the headaches of butt sweat. lol

But to answer your question, yes, the backrest is interchangeable.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Comfort upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I have had two comfort seats. 09/RS, 2014 RT-S. IMO, an upgrade from the OEM. Able to do 150 miles without problems, compared to 50 or so with the OEM.
    I’m thinking of upgrading my 2017 RTL to heated Comfort Seat, I normally ride 2 up. How much room is left for the passenger?
    I want to keep her Happy…
    2017 RTL , Grey

Spyder Garage

It's OK for the passenger but I find it short for the driver.
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

Spyder Garage

I have a comfort seat on my 2016 RTL and had to remove the backrest when the wife rides, she didn't have enough room and she is not a big girl, about 5'4" and 132. I would not have kept the bike without the extra room of the comfort seat, the stock was way too cramped. I don't mind not having the backrest when two up. Will use it when I'm solo.

Spyder Garage

My wife tried the s2s and thought the seat was great. So I'd like to put a call out to anyone that has upgraded there s2s to comfort that I would be interested in purchasing your old seat. Just pm me thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kamper View Post
    My wife tried the s2s and thought the seat was great. So I'd like to put a call out to anyone that has upgraded there s2s to comfort that I would be interested in purchasing your old seat. Just pm me thanks.
    I think changing the S2S seat out for a comfort seat would be a downgrade.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange