Spyder Garage

Default Battery Tender installed

I decided today I needed to get my Tender connections installed on my 21 RTL. I was surprised to find that the battery cable bolts were only finger tight, I could move the cable easily. I have seen others posting that they should have a star washer on them. They didn't but they do now and I tightened them nice and snug. I ran it out through the grommet by the positive post and through the zipper in the frunk. I had a extension cable about 4 foot that I attached so I could easily access it. Plugged it in and it immediately started charging while I reset my clock. After about 10 minutes I went ahead and started the bike and the tender switched to standby. I have just over 500 miles on it, I suggest every one especially if you have recently bought your Spyder Check your cables and make sure they are clean and tight. I also put on the foam grips which was much harder and took longer than the tender did.

Spyder Garage

You post needs to be read by every Spyder and MC owner. On the Spyder Facebook groups, it seem that daily, someone posts with problems caused simply be loose terminals. So I steer them over to this forum for some expert info.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Good advice above.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I will check mine, thanks for the heads up.

Tip on the foam grips. Put hand sanitizer inside the foam, then get it started on the grip. Then I use an air compressor with nozzle and just circle between the grip and the foam grip. Glides right on. I have installed countless grips this way after learning about it. Too bad it took me 40 years to hear about it. :-)

The hand sanitizer was a new trick for me this year. Maybe it became popular after it was everywhere.

Tom
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-24-2021 at 05:59 PM. Reason: '... an air ... '

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Depending on the brand will it dry out the foam grips ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    Depending on the brand will it dry out the foam grips ?
    Good question, hope not.

In the future, I might just use the air like I've always done. Just in case.

Tom

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dusty1300 View Post
    I will check mine, thanks for the heads up.

Tip on the foam grips. Put hand sanitizer inside the foam, then get it started on the grip. Then I use an air compressor with nozzle and just circle between the grip and the foam grip. Glides right on. I have installed countless grips this way after learning about it. Too bad it took me 40 years to hear about it. :-)

The hand sanitizer was a new trick for me this year. Maybe it became popular after it was everywhere.

Tom
    I was using hand sanitizer, and had to use the air too. I'm not as strong in the arms as I used to be, I put sanitizer in the foam grip and on the rubber grip, they would start on easy, but then it seemed to start drying really quick. Went for a ride after I got them on, and they feel really great.

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would recommend disconnecting the Battery Tender prior to starting your Spyder.
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

Stupid is as stupid does.

I went to install some foam grips and didn't think I needed to take off the handlebar ends. Big mistake.

It stretched out the foam too much with the air nozzle, it split.

Guess I'll have a spare when I get more of them.... assuming I don't do it again.

Tom