Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Looking for some wheel alignment data & feed back?

Hi all, I am looking for some wheel alignment feed back. Has any one been able to get a printout of their alignment? I know camber and caster are not adjustable on the spyder and ryker, but has anyone been able to look at it? How long does it take to do a laser alignment and what does it cost.

The second part of my feed back. How important do you think it would be if you got a printout of the before adjustment readings and the after adjustment readings? For those of you that are on this forum that do alignments, how important is it for you to be able to look at camber and caster readings while doing an alignment?

I am just trying to get some feed back.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Triniman View Post
    Hi all, I am looking for some wheel alignment feed back. Has any one been able to get a printout of their alignment? I know camber and caster are not adjustable on the spyder and ryker, but has anyone been able to look at it? How long does it take to do a laser alignment and what does it cost.

The second part of my feed back. How important do you think it would be if you got a printout of the before adjustment readings and the after adjustment readings? For those of you that are on this forum that do alignments, how important is it for you to be able to look at camber and caster readings while doing an alignment?

You are correct about the camber and caster ( non-adjustable ) .... all the people who do " lazer alignment " will / can tell you what they were and what they need to be .... on your Spyder ..... they don't GUESS about this they know what to set it for .... My RT took about 1/2 hr. .... COST - it varies from vendor to vendor ..... the Independants are way less the a Dealer would charge .... there is a LIST of who does them as Independants ..... Also I doubt Most dealers do LAZER alignments - it's not what BRP does ..... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I got my 2019 RTL aligned at LaMonster garage in Nixa, Mo. No readout available but they told me what it was and what changes they made. I don't care what anyone says, brand new from the factory or used, the Spyder will be an entirely different machine after a proper Lazer alignment. Money well spent. Before I was ready to admit I made a mistake buying the RT and after it was an amazing change and I plan to stay on Spyder's until I quit riding. Great machine, great adventure.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    I got my 2019 RTL aligned at LaMonster garage in Nixa, Mo. No readout available but they told me what it was and what changes they made. I don't care what anyone says, brand new from the factory or used, the Spyder will be an entirely different machine after a proper Lazer alignment. Money well spent. Before I was ready to admit I made a mistake buying the RT and after it was an amazing change and I plan to stay on Spyder's until I quit riding. Great machine, great adventure.
    Let me make this very clear from up front, this topic is not to put down the Laser Alignment or the people that do them. I am just trying to get some feed back.

Spyder Garage

I believe it is something that all dealers should do before they hand them over to us when we buy them, because the factory has way to much to do, to do it right before they crate it up!!! All kidding aside, it's well worth the money to know it's right! Should you get a print out of the results, I don't think it's needed, your butt will tell you if it's right or turn around and tell them to try again!! Good luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I had my 20 f3l down after bajaron sway bar and some elky 2 shocks. And it made a big difference was told it was 2 inches off.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by justhere45102 View Post
    I had my 20 f3l down after bajaron sway bar and some elky 2 shocks. And it made a big difference was told it was 2 inches off.
    The thing is, except for the sway bar, any changes you make to the suspension, you should get the vehicle aligned. Mikey, you are right, the dealer should be doing an alignment when they assemble the vehicle out of the crate. They should have a print out in the vehicle package so the buyer will have a record that it was done, and being told to find someone to align it because it is not right from the factory just is not right.
    When I bought my 2021 F3L five months ago, my friends could not believe that I traded my Yamaha Raider for a Spyder. One of my friends who lives in Florida and is on his third Spyder told me, the first thing I need to do is find someone to align it. I was not pleased.

Spyder Garage

One of my friends who lives in Florida and is on his third Spyder told me, the first thing I need to do is find someone to align it. I was not pleased.
    My 2021 Spyder RTL is my first ever experience with a Spyder. All I read was how much better it would handle if I had it laser aligned. The Spyder is definitely different handling than a two wheeler but I thought my Spyder handled pretty well, even with only one hand on the bars at speeds of 75 and 80 mph. I even tried the one finger approach on the grips and it stilled seemed to handle pretty good, but I had no frame of reference so I continued to entertain laser alignment. Well somewhere, maybe on this forum and possibly Joe with Squared Away someone mentioned the 2020 and newer models didn’t need the alignment as much as the earlier models due to a change in length and geometry. So I’ve decided not to worry about alignment any more as long as mine handles like it does up to this point I’m quite happy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    My 2021 Spyder RTL is my first ever experience with a Spyder. All I read was how much better it would handle if I had it laser aligned. The Spyder is definitely different handling than a two wheeler but I thought my Spyder handled pretty well, even with only one hand on the bars at speeds of 75 and 80 mph. I even tried the one finger approach on the grips and it stilled seemed to handle pretty good, but I had no frame of reference so I continued to entertain laser alignment. Well somewhere, maybe on this forum and possibly Joe with Squared Away someone mentioned the 2020 and newer models didn’t need the alignment as much as the earlier models due to a change in length and geometry. So I’ve decided not to worry about alignment any more as long as mine handles like it does up to this point I’m quite happy.
    My 2021 RTL tracks and handles just fine as is. I did lower the front tire pressure from 20 to 18 and that has been the icing on the cake for me. Unless something changes I don’t plan on tweeking it otherwise. I am very happy with it so far. My motto: Don’t fix it if it aint broke.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by justhere45102 View Post
    It is important to put these numbers in perspective. I believe that the ROLO system projects the alignment laser beams out 8 feet. This is done specifically to greatly exaggerate the misalignment readings. Thus allowing them to make and extremely accurate adjustment. So, you were out 2" at 8 feet. But a much smaller amount at the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    My 2021 RTL tracks and handles just fine as is. I did lower the front tire pressure from 20 to 18 and that has been the icing on the cake for me. Unless something changes I don’t plan on tweeking it otherwise. I am very happy with it so far. My motto: Don’t fix it if it aint broke.
    Sometimes it's a simple matter of not knowing what you are missing. I find this to be very true with both the laser alignment and the sway bar upgrade, among other things.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

My was delivered with the handle bars not centered even though the front wheels were aligned. Joe and Anne at Squared Away got it perfect and has been so for over 6 years. Had them check it about 4 years ago. I didn't need to...........

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

BEEN on this forum for 4 yrs, you will find out the factory just gets them "close". nobody can give you a print out........the equipment is not linked to a computer. it would only be word of mouth or written down. its not like the car / truck alignment machines
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    BEEN on this forum for 4 yrs, you will find out the factory just gets them "close". nobody can give you a print out........the equipment is not linked to a computer. it would only be word of mouth or written down. its not like the car / truck alignment machines
    This is exactly true. The alignment equipment utilized by automotive or truck shops has a leveled rack that allows projecting forward to sensors that evaluate and provide the tech with info on what to adjust, and how much.

Spyders are much simpler. The ROLO laser equipment is portable. In simple terms, the light beams are projected onto metal scales or rulers. These rulers are not digital, and this is why a true print out is not available.

In regards to a Spyder requiring alignment by the dealer prior to delivery, I disagree. Number one reason is that newness needs to be settled. Sure, you could accomplish an alignment at delivery, but put 500 miles on the machine and once the suspension settles, your alignment will change.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    This is exactly true. The alignment equipment utilized by automotive or truck shops has a leveled rack that allows projecting forward to sensors that evaluate and provide the tech with info on what to adjust, and how much.

Spyders are much simpler. The ROLO laser equipment is portable. In simple terms, the light beams are projected onto metal scales or rulers. These rulers are not digital, and this is why a true print out is not available.

In regards to a Spyder requiring alignment by the dealer prior to delivery, I disagree. Number one reason is that newness needs to be settled. Sure, you could accomplish an alignment at delivery, but put 500 miles on the machine and once the suspension settles, your alignment will change.
    Guys, thank you for the feed back. Don't freak out. How would you like to see a printout of a CanAm Spyder showing all the angles (Camber, Caster and Toe).

Spyder Garage

Guys, thank you for the feed back. Don't freak out. How would you like to see a printout of a CanAm Spyder showing all the angles (Camber, Caster and Toe).
    Since you did quote me, and asked. Are you capable and do you have the means to adapt a ROLO Laser setup to print various parameters. Even those not read / measured by the ROLO equipment.

I do have a ROLO Laser alignment equipment, BUDS, BUDS2, and more so I am able to measure all angles. I have made worksheets to utilize, however, since aligning Spyders is not my focus, the equipment pretty much sits not being used.Still though, what are you considering in regards to accomplishing printouts of alignments.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

For some basic info on the laser system used by most dealers look at this. http://www.spydercomfort.com/index.html
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

From what I can tell all of the alignment systems used for Spyder alignment are basically the same as the system described in the following article.

http://www.lindsayroland.com/spyder/...alignment.html

It is difficult to come up with printout based on such a primitive technology. Give me a laser tracker or a big Faro Arm and we I could come up with a printout. This equipment costs between 50 -100 K dollars and is linked to a PC.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'd like to correct a misspelling that I see used on this forum. Laser is spelled with an 's', not 'z', even though it's easy to think it should be spelled lazer because that is the way it is pronounced. Laser is actually an acronym for "Light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation". That sure is a mouthful, so let's just keep using laser!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

We give every customer that gets an alignment a printout showing before and after measurements as well as a few of the measurements that went in to getting there.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    We give every customer that gets an alignment a printout showing before and after measurements as well as a few of the measurements that went in to getting there.
    Like mine, I suspect it is a completed worksheet, not a generated print out like the automotive equipment will do.

Spyder Garage

We have found the 20 and up Spyders better than earlier years. As always, our policy is if your bike is within spec, it’s free. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, but it does not hurt to check! Many new owners think it is just fine. We align it, and it is even better!! I would rather know, than not. We want everyone to enjoy riding as much as we do. If we can make your experience better, then we will!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

gone1
    Last edited by Triniman; 08-19-2022 at 04:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

Hey guys, here is a printout of my 2021 Spyder alignment. It shows the before adjustment readings and the actual reading after the adjustment were made.
    Absolutely can do it that way on an alignment rack.
    Kind of distressing to see such a difference in camber angles for a vehicle with centerline payload.

If I had one curiosity, actually two. First being are these values unladen? Second, if unladen, why only 0.25* total toe on a vehicle know to have excessive bump steer that generates toe out?

Regardless cool to see this was done and with toe being the only adjustment, its easy to align.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey guys, here is a printout of my 2021 Spyder alignment. It shows the before adjustment readings and the actual reading after the adjustment were made.
    How was the alignment done, and with what system? How was all the data shown in the printout generated, and how was the report generated? It is rather interesting to see it all.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Ok, let me answer
    Last edited by Triniman; 08-19-2022 at 04:19 PM.