Spyder Garage

Default Has anyone used Hippo Hands on their Spyder?

Has anyone used Hippo Hands on their Spyder? Even with heated grips my hands get cold, and I'm wearing good gloves. Or are their any alternatives that work. Hippo Hands website said they require hand guards which we do not have on Spyders. I would like to ride in cooler weather, I use insulated base layer and Lined clothing with Insulated pants on, the only cold spot is my hands. Heated grips keep the palms of my hands warm, but do nothing for the backs which are exposed to the wind.

Spyder Garage

PM sent.

Rick & Kathy
    currently Henderson County NC from Ellis County TX
    2021 RTL
    2017 F3T , silver black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JRat View Post
    Has anyone used Hippo Hands on their Spyder? Even with heated grips my hands get cold, and I'm wearing good gloves. Or are their any alternatives that work. Hippo Hands website said they require hand guards which we do not have on Spyders. I would like to ride in cooler weather, I use insulated base layer and Lined clothing with Insulated pants on, the only cold spot is my hands. Heated grips keep the palms of my hands warm, but do nothing for the backs which are exposed to the wind.
    I learned about " Hippo hands " ( and other generic equivalents ) 5 decades ago ..... originally they were designed for use with Snow-mobiles. Because in the early days before " heated grips " on some days you couldn't use a snow-mobile at temps below 0-F ( at least not for very long ) ..... After I stopped snow-mobiling I kept mine and actually attached them to my down-hill ski poles ( not kidding ), because I have very bad circulation problems. I no longer use my Spyder at cold temps, but I did attach them once to see if they fit over the controls.... They fit fine, but I have a Semi-Auto trans. .... they might be a bit difficult to use if I had a Manual ...... but I assure you they do work to prevent cold hands. .... check the DennisKirk web site , look in their sno-mobile catalog. ...... Mike ...As far as needing " hand guards ", maybe if you have a clutch lever , but not if you have a Semi-Auto ....

Spyder Garage

I have the Oxford brand I use on my Ural. Have tried the on the wife RT. Go on Amazon and search Hippo Hands.

Spyder Garage

Barring the hippo hands solution, maybe try 12v heated gloves like the Tourmaster or Gerbin brands. They work very well and are waterproof.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I have the Gerbing Gyde battery operated gloves. The heating elements run all the way around the fingers, palm, and back of hand. There are 3 heat settings and are easily accessed by a push of the button on the glove. They are windproof and waterproof. Very nice.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Ski Doo has handle bar muffs for sleds that have windows in them so you can see the controls. I have them on my sleds, with heated grips I only use light gloves without any defectors.
    Sleds are not home with the Spyder so I can't verify if they work on them but they look like they would work on my F3 as there is no bulky handlebar pad on the bars.
    I've used the big ''elephant ear'' type in the past on sleds, like the smaller Doo ones.

https://www.amazon.com/SKI-DOO-HANDL...e%2C160&sr=8-2
    John
    "some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium

Spyder Garage

Glove liners under good winter gloves, plus the heated grips might work for you. When my hands get cold even with good gloves and the heated grips, I consider it time to put the bike away for the winter.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

I used Hippo Hands when I ran my Ural during the winter. They did the job.

2021 Spyder F3-S Special Series
    ————————————————-
    Monster Fuel Injection Stage II
    K&N Air Filter
    Lamonster Cat Delete Pipe with Baffle
    Akrapovic Sinister Exhaust
    Ultimate Floorboards
    Baja Ron’s Anti-Sway Bar Kit
    Elka Shocks Stage 3 Front, Stage 4 Rear
    F4 Customs 32” Windshield
    Pedal Commander
    FOBO 2 TPMS
    Lamonster F3 Brake Rod
    Shad SH36 Side Cases
    Crampbuster

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JRat View Post
    I live in Northwest Ohio. Ride year round. I use heated gloves, but installed the Hippo Hands last year and it makes a huge difference. Subfreezing wind still cuts through heated gloves, just helps to get that off my hands (including snow/sleet/rain.) 10 minute install. Plenty of room inside the shell to reach all my shifters.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Twisted Throttle sells hand guards (Barkbusters). I have them on my RT.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Good pair of mitts work well. I usually wear mine when I’m not out on the sled.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-24-2021 at 09:18 PM. Reason: wear ?? ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boz329 View Post
    I live in Northwest Ohio. Ride year round. I use heated gloves, but installed the Hippo Hands last year and it makes a huge difference. Subfreezing wind still cuts through heated gloves, just helps to get that off my hands (including snow/sleet/rain.) 10 minute install. Plenty of room inside the shell to reach all my shifters.
    Which version did you use? My guess is you put them on an F3 so that version should also work on the 2020 + models of the RT. Wonder if they would work on a 2019 or prior version due to the handlebar design?
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange