Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Do you leave the Parking brake on during storage?

Do you leave the parking brake on during storage?

Spyder Garage

Not if there's any chance/likelihood of needing to move the Spyder during the period of storage!

For those Spyders with the electronically activated Park Brakes (IIRC, that's all the RT's & anything else fm 2013 & on ) the alarm to tell the operator that the Park Brake is not on when they turn the Spyder off only lasts for 30 seconds before it shuts up complaining; and if you chock the wheels but leave the Park Brake off, then it's a whole lot easier to just pull the chocks & roll it around the place if you ever need to do that.... cos it's sorta just a little heavy to move readily with the rear wheel locked!

Helps the battery last a little bit longer too, cos every time you turn the key/ign ON (as you'd have to if you wanted to release/re-apply the electronic Park Brake if you'd left it set to on... ) even if you don't start the engine, it'll flash up some of the electronics that'll then stay on for anything up to 30 mins after you turn the key OFF again!! Might be only a small drain, but batteries only have so many discharge/recharge cycles in them, & every little drain adds up eventually! Besides, on the 2013 & earlier RT's (& maybe other Spyders too?! ) it'll also trigger the stepper motor that holds the throttle body closed for at least 30 mins after shut-down/switch off too.... and that's a bigger drain!

So I just leave the Park Brake off if I'm gonna store the Spyder for any real length of time.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I don’t. I’m not sure it makes much difference though.
    2016 F3-T , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

I do not. I have a manual. I just leave it in first gear. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

I Guys
    yes The parking brake warning device on my 2014 buzzzz about 10 to 15 seconds after it goes silent, I put the front and rear calluses.

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

Hmmm.. This will be my 3rd winter storage. My first two had the parking brake on, with the Spyder on a BT. Just chocked the rear wheel and powered off the P brake. WTH.. Less chance it freezes up.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Never thought about it. I always have the brake on when I turn the engine off, and now have it sitting in my garage for the winter. I keep it on a Battery Tender so I am not concerned about a possible draw on the battery if I turn the key so that I can disengage the brake. For the last 30 years or so I have put away whatever motorcycle I had for the winter, and never put it on blocks and never did anything other than to add Stabil to the gas tank and hook up the Battery Tender and never had a problem in the Spring. So that was my plan for my new Spyder this winter. So far on this thread I have not read of any advantage in leaving the parking brake off other than for ease in moving the bike if needed in the garage. Am I missing something?
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Parking brake on, stabilizer in fuel, fuel tank full, battery tender on. Been following this regime for years and never had an issue with my bikes. Also this method means I can have the bike on the road in a few minutes when a nice day pops up. I don't own a cage so I need to have at least one bike ready to roll.

winter.jpg
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I always turn on the brake. They roll pretty easy.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No .... I have my Spyder in my basement for winter storage .... the floor is level and flat, so it doesn't move unless I move it ..... I have done it this way since 09 on three Spyders ..... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I do put the parking brake on when the spyder is in storage, I have been doing that since 2012( my first spyder).Have had any problems.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Parking Brake

I put my parking brake on when I park.

So Yes, I have it on for lay up months too.
    Never been a problem. I do use a battery tender on my Spyder. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

It's off at all times it's in the garage. Reasons being; Able to roll it outside to start and warm up w/o stinking up the house. Able to roll it when doing maintenance. Able to roll when a 10mm socket hit the floor.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No plans for storage as I will be riding, just rode it home from work a few minutes ago.

Other than snow, its smiles for miles with just a lil more gear on to keep me warm.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    It's off at all times it's in the garage. Reasons being; Able to roll it outside to start and warm up w/o stinking up the house. Able to roll it when doing maintenance. Able to roll when a 10mm socket hit the floor.
    Not sure you're not telling us a story 'bout that RICZ cos your last reason is more'n just a little sus....

Everyone with any spanner-spinning experience KNOWS through hard learned lessons that 10mm sockets & spanners NEVER get to hit the floor!! That's cos anything 10mm that gets taken out of its new packaging will just disappear into the ether, never to be seen again - even if you only take your eyes of it for a moment!! .

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Not sure you're not telling us a story 'bout that RICZ cos your last reason is more'n just a little sus....
    Everyone with any spanner-spinning experience KNOWS through hard learned lessons that 10mm sockets & spanners NEVER get to hit the floor!! That's cos anything 10mm that gets taken out of its new packaging will just disappear into the ether, never to be seen again - even if you only take your eyes of it for a moment!! .
    That was a great reply Peter and the reason why one should avoid buying a 10mm gun. Sending a PM.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter, I didn't know that was possible.
    Last edited by Motorsickle; 11-29-2021 at 11:32 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have always left the parking brakes on for winter storage. The only exception was my 08 SM5. That one was left in first gear and I never used the parking brake.

The last two 2019, and 2020 get ridden all year around. Parking brake on when parked though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'm on my third Spyder and have always parked the bike in garage with the parking brake on. Never has been a problem.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

For me, the type of storage area determined which way I went. When it is 10 below out any moisture on a brake system always concerned me. I have one of my "toy" cars actually have the brakes freeze. If it is heated, it doesn't matter.
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fantinjaf View Post
    Do you leave the parking brake on during storage?
    Nope...that would just offer more opportunity to stick
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Nope.

I turn it off while in neutral. Then the bike beeps like 20 times. After that, I chock the wheels.

IMHO, doing this will 1) prevent the pads from sticking to the rotors, and 2) prevent the parking brake cable from stretching and causing problems later.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

I do not store mine for long periods of time. I think last year the longest it sat was 4 weeks. If its above 30, not snowing or raining, and no salt on the road then I still ride. Love being in NE Ohio and still riding in January. Took it to lunch an hour ago even with the winds. I do still plug in the battery tender when I come back from a ride if I know its going to be sitting a few days. I personally put on the parking break. Visions of the kids playing on it as it rolls into the garage door!
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

I ride year-round, so I use the parking brake year-round.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

Amen!