Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RTL Sporadic Limp Home Mode-Engine warning

My 2020 RTL started showing an engine warning light and Limp Home Mode Warning a couple days ago. The problem is that it is sporadic. When I shut it down and start again, it goes away. But then out of nowhere it might come back on again. It comes and goes. If it continues, I'll bring it to the dealer, but I wonder if anyone else has seen this problem and if there could be an easy fix.

Spyder Garage

First thing is to get the code so we can see what the possibilities may be.I know how to get the codes on my 17rt but I’m sure if you Google it or search on this site you can get procedue.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowhawg View Post
    My 2020 RTL started showing an engine warning light and Limp Home Mode Warning a couple days ago. The problem is that it is sporadic. When I shut it down and start again, it goes away. But then out of nowhere it might come back on again. It comes and goes. If it continues, I'll bring it to the dealer, but I wonder if anyone else has seen this problem and if there could be an easy fix.
    Shuffle through instrument cluster menu to obtain fault codes.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

That happened to me about 3 weeks ago. Riding straight, accelerating - not braking, RT went to Limp mode. Stopped/started/cleared but a couple minutes later, same issue. That happened maybe 4 times in 15 minutes or so but then it ran fine the rest of the day.
    At home, I searched here and found that the brake switch sticking could be the cause so I cleaned the actuator pin and sprayed WD40 on it.

Hasn't re-appeared since (400 mi & counting)!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

You really do need to get the fault code Snowhawg. Before you turn the RT off, press your Joystick button and scroll down to, and select, Settings, then scroll down to, and select, Fault Codes. Without that code is is impossible to determine what is causing your issue

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    First thing is to get the code so we can see what the possibilities may be.I know how to get the codes on my 17rt but I’m sure if you Google it or search on this site you can get procedue.
    Can anyone tell me how to get the codes on a 2020 RTL?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    That happened to me about 3 weeks ago. Riding straight, accelerating - not braking, RT went to Limp mode. Stopped/started/cleared but a couple minutes later, same issue. That happened maybe 4 times in 15 minutes or so but then it ran fine the rest of the day.
    At home, I searched here and found that the brake switch sticking could be the cause so I cleaned the actuator pin and sprayed WD40 on it.

Hasn't re-appeared since (400 mi & counting)!
    Ray you beat me to it ..... this has happened many times in the past ..... the switch is in an area that picks up lots of crud .... check it before you try the complicated ( ie expensive things ) ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowhawg View Post
    Can anyone tell me how to get the codes on a 2020 RTL?
    Peteoz did that, Snowhawg. See the Bold bit below:

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    You really do need to get the fault code Snowhawg. Before you turn the RT off, press your Joystick button and scroll down to, and select, Settings, then scroll down to, and select, Fault Codes. Without that code is is impossible to determine what is causing your issue

Pete
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default Limp Home Mode

I've experience the same problem on my 2020 RTL and was told by the dealer it could be triggered by a sensor under the passenger see that can somehow get stuck. The guy unplugged the cable after removing the passenger seat and messed around with the sensor. He put the seat back on, connected the cable and the warning light didn't come on immediately. But before I even got the warning came back on. Simply turning off the engine clears the warning for a short time but then returns?
    Could you please tell me where the "sticky brake switch" is located so I can clean and lubricate it?
    Thanks,
    Ron

Spyder Garage

Default limp home

Quote Originally Posted by 99flyboy View Post
    I've experience the same problem on my 2020 RTL and was told by the dealer it could be triggered by a sensor under the passenger see that can somehow get stuck. The guy unplugged the cable after removing the passenger seat and messed around with the sensor. He put the seat back on, connected the cable and the warning light didn't come on immediately. But before I even got the warning came back on. Simply turning off the engine clears the warning for a short time but then returns?
    Could you please tell me where the "sticky brake switch" is located so I can clean and lubricate it?
    Thanks,
    Ron
    under your right foot.it was so bad on my2016 rt that always took with me a can of w-d-40 and a rubber hammer

Spyder Garage

If it does turn out to be your brake light switch, no harm in trying the WD40 of course but I suspect the switch might need to be replaced. There is a new part number for the 2020RT which might indicate that there was an issue with the original PN and they had to improve/change the innards.

I just had to change mine as it failed at around 9300-9600 miles.

It is a $40 part and easy to access the switch itself but the bigger issue is getting to the wiring harness plug that is tucked high up under the tupperware.

Check out these 2 threads: (1) & (2)

Spyder Garage

We haven’t seen a word from Snowhawg since mid November, so we are all in the dark as to whether he found the problem and effected a solution, or just decided to ignore it, WilcoJunoHotel…….oh well

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    We haven’t seen a word from Snowhawg since mid November, so we are all in the dark as to whether he found the problem and effected a solution, or just decided to ignore it, WilcoJunoHotel…….oh well

Pete
    Sorry guys. I live in Chicago and have only ridden a couple times lately. I haven't done anything about it yet. The code was P0122, which says it is First Throttle Accelerator Sensor Short Circuit to Ground. I rode it a few days ago and when I started it, the warning came on and a minute or two later went away and stayed away. When the weather warms up I'm taking it to the dealer. Thanks for all the great reponses.