Spyder Garage

Default Pedal Commander vs Pedal Box - what's the difference?

What is the difference between the pedal commander and the pedal box?
    Thanks
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Spyder Garage

They both do the same task - making throttle response more sensitive. Other than price, I doubt it matters which you go with.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Pedal Box is made near my home. I bought a Pedal Commander. Easier to see the setting and more.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-21-2021 at 12:40 AM. Reason: mu = my ;-)
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

2021 Spyder F3-S Special Series
    ————————————————-
    Monster Fuel Injection Stage II
    K&N Air Filter
    Lamonster Cat Delete Pipe with Baffle
    Akrapovic Sinister Exhaust
    Ultimate Floorboards
    Baja Ron’s Anti-Sway Bar Kit
    Elka Shocks Stage 3 Front, Stage 4 Rear
    F4 Customs 32” Windshield
    Pedal Commander
    FOBO 2 TPMS
    Lamonster F3 Brake Rod
    Shad SH36 Side Cases
    Crampbuster

Spyder Garage

I just received and installed the Pedal Box from Martin on my '21 RT. I am not an early adopter for most things but I will say I am quite happy with the new performance of the RT. I will likely run this in one of the Sport modes. My first impression is that the power is more readily available and keeps me more involved with the machine. Very simple operation. May look at concealing the device under the tupperware and using the phone app to select the mode. In the meantime it is attached to the center post and out of the way.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It seems we are still waiting for someone with an understanding of both to weigh in on the differences. I've done a little Googling and came up with this;

Pedal Box and Pedal Commander both improve throttle response of a fly-by-wire system such as the Spyder (and Ryker) have. There is no change in the ECU so the Air / Fuel Ratio is not affected (as it is with an ECU Flash).

Probably for a combination of safety and fuel economy reasons, the OEM throttle response system is slower to respond to a twisting of the throttle grip; these devices (PB & PC) give the rider greater control over the amount of delay or sluggishness built into the system. From what I can tell, the OEM throttle controller does open the throttle 100% when fully opened, but only briefly after which it dials back the throttle opening to 90% or so regardless of what the rider is doing with the throttle grip. With the Pedal Box and Pedal Commander, the rider directly controls the amount of throttle opening, overriding the OEM 'nanny'.

Both PB and PC are currently (July 2022) priced at $300 but the PC includes the phone app in the price and PB charges an extra $50 for it.

Apparently, Pedal Box is available only for the F3 models of Spyder; https://www.pedalbox.com/us/can-am/s.../pedalbox.html

Pedal Commander is from SlingMods.com and is available for all engines of the Spyder and Ryker line I think; https://www.slingmods.com/canam-spyd...edal-commander
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-16-2022 at 09:21 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

UtahPete, nice research and description. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

guess this is not an option for a 2013 Spyder ST

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RangerRick View Post
    guess this is not an option for a 2013 Spyder ST
    I don't see why you couldn't get some version of this sorta gear that'll work on your 2013 ST, even if not necessarily made/retailed by either of those mobs mentioned above!

The 2013 RS/ST/RT Spyder's all got the same 'drive-by-wire' throttles that the 2014 & later Spyder & Ryker models have, which is basically just like most other modern computer enhanced vehicles. So even if the 2013 ST isn't listed on a particular retailer's product blurb, there still should be something out there that is suitable, and probably something that either plugs directly into the 2013 Can Am loom or that can be made to plug in/wire into the 2013 loom to work in exactly the same manner as those products for the 2014 & on units do! . I wouldn't even be surprised if the solution didn't end up being exactly the same product, just fitted with plugs that have been confirmed to match the plugs & wiring on the 2013 models!

But I guess you'll never know unless you ask - or find someone who's game to try it out!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!