Spyder Garage

Default Passenger rubber hand bars - any way to repair?

Hi, the rubber hand grips (bars, handles) on my 2014 RT-S have gashes after I hooked bungee cords to them to carry camping equipment. Is there any way to repair, maybe glue and fill or cover up the rips? Are there any types of leather or vinyl wraps (like car steering wheel) that are attractive that I can wrap or adhere to cover up the damage? I really don’t want to spend the money buying new bars and then pay PowerSports to switch them out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-19-2021 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Prefix - not engine/size related; & title clarification ;-)

Spyder Garage

I don't know of any repair products, but check into grip tape for either tennis rackets or golf clubs....
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Grip tape for tennis rackets etc. sounds like a good one.

If you want leather...get some 1/2 wide Saddle Strings from a leather supplier like Tandy or Leather Factory. They are about 40 inches long. They used to come in brown and yellow. Dont know about black...but they could be dyed if you want to match them up with the bike.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Depending on what look you would like to accomplish , could try just about anything Like tacti”cool” -550 paracord does take some skill for tight wrapping & knots
    (just a redneck thought) Also the new Flex tape. Lil pricy but possibly hold up to weather better

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Repair the grips and use Roc straps the next time you want to strap down camping gear. I have been using them for years and you will never use a bungee again.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Go to a hardware store, or Lowes or HD, and get a small bottle of liquid electrical tape, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds. Fill the holes and gaps with it, clean off the excess, and wrap tightly around the repair area with regular electrical tape. In several days, or a week or two, after the liquid tape has a chance to cure remove the electrical tape. The tears should be filled in and closed up and be hardly noticeable.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had a similar thing happen to my 2014 RTS when I used a lifting strap around both handles to lift the rear section off to replace the air compressor...I used large loom black wire wrap for a temporary fix...I ended up purchasing two new handle assemblies $$$...Stupid move...A live and learn experience for me...(one of many(: larryd

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I fixed a similar problem with the tape used to wrap handlebars on road-bicycles.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

I have looked on line at those handlebar tapes. That would be the easiest and most affordable solution. Can you share a photo so I can see how it looks on your Spyder? R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoozer View Post
    Repair the grips and use Roc straps the next time you want to strap down camping gear. I have been using them for years and you will never use a bungee again.
    Thanks Snoozer for the info on the "Rok" straps...I order several sets for the Spyder and the ATV larryd