Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Why so few Radio stations with engine running?? Any fixes?

I have a 2018 RT Limited. The radio doesn't bring in a lot of stations. I've been having this problem since last year.
    I replaced the Antenna and it didn't get much better.
    The other day I realized that it worked fine when the engine was not running.
    Any Ideas as to what I should look for?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    I have a 2018 RT Limited. The radio doesn't bring in a lot of stations. I've been having this problem since last year.
    An alternative entertainment source. The FM receivers are lousy, period.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

The issue is the electrical interference noise generated by LED lights.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Also notice when you're covering some ground even a decent station doesn't seem to stay in range for long. Between that and commercials FM radio sxxxs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    The issue is the electrical interference noise generated by LED lights.
    You might be right. I think it happened after I installed my LED headlights

Spyder Garage

You might be right. I think it happened after I installed my LED headlights
    Is there any type of filter?

Spyder Garage

Is there any type of filter?
    Sort of, try an MP3 or similar storage of music device to play music. If you need talk radio about politics, religion or similar no music stuff, you might try using your phone or satellite receiver and that should work.

I know, pain the butt.

On a chance, I have watched videos where car owners installed ferrite chokes on the LED wiring. It took a lot of choke, but they claim it worked.

Spyder Garage

I'm going to replace the LED's with the right bulb.
    Anybody remember the correct numbers?

Spyder Garage

Radios have attenuation circuits which block out noise in the frequency range being listened to. Increase the noise on the frequency, increase the attenuation. At some point, only the very strong signal stations will be able to punch through the noise. And as soon as they lose some signal, even those will not make it to your speakers. Like has been suggested. Fix the noise generators, (we are talking electromagnetic noise), upgrade your receiver, or go to a different form of replay.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Radios have attenuation circuits which block out noise in the frequency range being listened to. Increase the noise on the frequency, increase the attenuation. At some point, only the very strong signal stations will be able to punch through the noise. And as soon as they lose some signal, even those will not make it to your speakers. Like has been suggested. Fix the noise generators, (we are talking electromagnetic noise), upgrade your receiver, or go to a different form of replay.
    I'm assuming the noise is being generated by the LED lights. I somewhat remember it happened at about the same time

Spyder Garage

On a side note, Ron where can I get a map to display

Spyder Garage

On a side note, Ron where can I get a map to display
    If you're talking about Ron's State's & Province Visited maps, you can click on the 'Visited States Map' button on the RH end of the Menu bar above the Sponsor's Logo/links line & select the appropriate info, then set it to also show in your Signature line, along with your Spyder model/year info.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    .... when I first switched to LED headlights, I began to get " noise " like Ron said ..... However I was still receiving the same stations as when I had halogen headlights. I reported this to the seller and received a new pair from a different manufacturer ....End of noise .... good luck >>>> Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .... when I first switched to LED headlights, I began to get " noise " like Ron said ..... However I was still receiving the same stations as when I had halogen headlights. I reported this to the seller and received a new pair from a different manufacturer ....End of noise .... good luck >>>> Mike
    I agree. Don't cheap out on light kits. I'm cheap. So, that's exactly what I did the 1st time. Nothing but issues.

There are times that cheaping out works well. And times that it does not. Lighting kits for the Spyder/Ryker are in the latter category. They may look the same, but they aren't.

High performance lighting has to alter voltage to work. That means circuitry to change your 12 volt system to whatever the bulb needs. If it is a cheap unit, or a defective part, you can get a great noise generator, at no extra charge! It can play havoic with everything from your radio, coms, and even your ECU.

Pay the money and get a good set from a reputable source. You'll save yourself a lot of grief.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-19-2021 at 11:49 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

The ones I bought are from Ebay (cheap)

Spyder Garage

What are the bulb numbers for a 2018 RTL?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What are the bulb numbers for a 2018 RTL?
    Are you asking about the OEM halogens?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Are you asking about the OEM halogens?
    Yes I am

Spyder Garage

Experienced same FM interference problem after installing LED fog lights: 2020 F3-T. Interference only when lights were on. Supplier furnished filter and problem solved. Wanting to replace oem halogen headlights w/LED's but thinking that I will have same problem? Friend has 2020 RT with LED's that came on the bike. He has no interference but there is probably something oem 'built-in' with bike to prevent. Thinking like ahh-cool....if I change to LED's how will I deal with the FM problem?
    BTW, I listen to SIRIUS via iPhone Bluetooth but do like to get FM as well on occasion.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I could be wrong, but I believe any accessory that causes radio interference violates USA FCC regulations and should not be being sold in the US. Ask the seller about that. Tell them you want LEDs that conform to FCC requirements and don't create RF interference.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seagravesg View Post
    ..... BTW, I listen to SIRIUS via iPhone Bluetooth but do like to get FM as well on occasion.
    Can you listen to Sirius and still use the GPS through the dash?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-20-2021 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Have not used SIRIUS / GPS simultaneously. But now I want to see how that might or might work.

Spyder Garage

I have given up on the BRP entertainment system and gone with a simple iPhone. I plug it into the USB in the trunk and I can get AI am/FM and satellite radio loud and clear. I can also answer my phone through my navigation system that I have mounted on the handlebars. Much less frustration.

Spyder Garage

I have a 16 RTS and the radio reception ain't good at all. No leds. My 16 Acura MDX has the worst radio reception I think I have had on any of my 80 cars/trucks I have owned. I just think it's bad technology, meaning antenna's. My 03 tacoma with old style antenna picks up stations for miles. Go figure.

Spyder Garage

I'm running leds all around and still have excellent reception. I'm on a 2010 rt-s. My trouble is, I can't seem to figure out how to change my preset channels. You may want to check your zone setting.