Spyder Garage

Default Ferry Crossings - do Spyders need to strap down?

I Looked around for some info but did not find for my question.
    With two wheelers, I always had to strap down the bike for long ferry crossings like going to Newfoundland, and the Alaskan ferry.
    Now with three wheels, will I be required to strap down or park with the four wheelers?

Spyder Garage

Its going to depend on the ferry captain.Oct 18 02.jpg
    2015 F3S , Orange

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by F650624 View Post
    Its going to depend on the ferry captain.Oct 18 02.jpg
    This may happen ..... however I've had my RT on a ferry over a dozen times and never had to " tie it down " .... I would contact the Ferry co. & find out .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Do whatever the ferry workers want you to do. The ferry crossings I have done are limited to Washington State. I was directed to tie down my 2 wheeler going form Port Angeles to Victoria B.C. There were no tie downs on all other crossings for either 2 or 3 wheelers. Weather on 2 or 3 wheels ferry personnel always directed me to the front motorcycle area. The reason is our smaller vehicles can be placed where bigger ones can't. One time when pulling a trailer with my Spyder I had a ferry ticket seller apologetically charge me the automobile rate because of my length. I had no problem with that. Bottom line..... You may be asked to do your crossings differently from one location to another and from one ferry employee to another. Just follow direction...... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I've been a bit curious about the Badger that crosses Lake Michigan. I've had friends take that trip on 2 wheelers (Guzzi) but always thought about taking that trip on my RT. Anyone out there done that?

Coke
    2015 RT-S , RED/BLACK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by baxter View Post
    I Looked around for some info but did not find for my question.
    With two wheelers, I always had to strap down the bike for long ferry crossings like going to Newfoundland, and the Alaskan ferry.
    Now with three wheels, will I be required to strap down or park with the four wheelers?
    It's not going to fall off its kickstand in rough seas like a 2-wheeler.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

No straping down on the Merrimac Ferry going across Lk Wisconsin...Was on it for the 7 minute ride 2 weeks ago...lol

https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/trave...c/default.aspx
    54 Snowmobiles...7 Dirtbikes...4 Atv's...8 Streetbikes...1 Tricycle...Since 1969...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by guzzihack View Post
    I've been a bit curious about the Badger that crosses Lake Michigan. I've had friends take that trip on 2 wheelers (Guzzi) but always thought about taking that trip on my RT. Anyone out there done that?

Coke
    We did the Badger last year. I had to tie my Suzuki, the Spyder just sat there.

They load most of the cars first, then bring in the two-wheelers, which line up along the right side. Any trikes and bike with trailer come in next, they go down the middle of the ship, then turn around to get to the end of the line of two-wheelers. Then the big trucks and campers fill in the rest of the middle of the ship.

Getting off, the large vehicles are first, you will be getting your bike ready and getting geared up while that is happening. All the bikes and trikes are next, finally, all the cars.

It was not cheap for the two of us, but it was definitely worth doing. Not just for the experience, but to avoid the traffic and hassle of going through/around Chicago.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

no tie downs for our RT's on the Clinton to Mukilteo or Kingston to Edmonds ferry crossings. First ones on and first ones off both times. You stay with your ride, out in the elements at the front on the ferry. Port Angeles to Victoria, bikes we parked along the left (port) side of the ferry (down below), on the side stand with tie down/rope attached to the ride side of the handlebar. Not permitted to stay with your ride on that one, it was fun up top though!

Local ferry crossings were just a month ago, BC ferry crossing was prob 10 years ago.

Spyder Garage

The workers on the boat will tell you what to do, I would say they will tell you to set the brake and walk away! Just make sure the two wheeler beside you tie's good knots on his!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

We crossed to Washington Island in Door County last month. Didn’t have to tie down the F3-t. We were packed pretty tight, and the water was lumpy. The Jeep Cherokee in front of me was moving about 6” front to back with the waves. It was obvious he just put it in park without using the parking brake! Spyder was stable as could be.
    2016 F3-T , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

I crossed over to Nova Scotia years ago on the Cat Ferry(high speed hydrofoil) and bikes were directed to an area where there was a big pile of large ropes.We were told to strap in which was interesting because there was almost nothing to tie off to.3 hours of very rough seas and the Venture Royal didnt move but my stomach sure did.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE