Spyder Garage

Default New White Pulley fitted on 2015 F3-S - already has red dust!

I put the new "WHITE" pulley on my 2015 F3-S at the end of June and it already has the "red dust" (about 6000 miles on it). I highly doubt that it has resolved the wear issue.
    God bless those who serve/served our country!

Spyder Garage

Wow! Only 6000 miles and returning issue! Dealer I bought 2021 RTL owed me the new pulley as part of our deal, I have not pulled panels off yet to see if I have the “red dust”, that inner black panel on the new 2020/2021 looks intimidating! Will have to take a look! Thanks everyone.

Spyder Garage

Default New White Pulley fitted on 2015 F3-S

Well the new white sprocket gave out this morning. No warning!! Luckly I had just got off Interstate for gas. Installed in June of 2020. Only 5000 miles! I think they are worse than the original. I'm going back to the old sprocket number.IMG_1907.jpgIMG_1909.jpgIMG_1910.jpg

Spyder Garage

Looks like the splines sheared off the white one.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

UNBELIEVABLE!!!
    If you hadn't posted that photo, I wouldn't have believed it happened like that.
    Y'all out there; Keep letting us know your experiences with your front pulleys, especially the white ones. I bet SpyderF3-S feels shafted.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I don't believe the 'new white pulley' was ever designed or intended to reduce or minimise this 'worn spline' issue - as far as I can tell from reading the BRP documentation & talking to some (otherwise reliable )techs/dealers, the white ceramic coating is simply intended to reduce the whistling noise that some of the 2018/19+ Spyders exhibit.

The stripped splines thing is an ongoing & so far completely ignored by BRP issue!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

there are a couple of tricks for that inner panel, its easy once you do it once. if you like ill help you thru it.

Spyder Garage

seems to me like the white sprocket was not mounted correctly by the dealer, looks like wrong torque, missing grease or clue. And it didn´n any noise ??? mysterious ...
    modified 2020 F3-S for paraplegics including handbrake, wheelchairmount etc.
    2020 F3-S , pedalbox black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderF3-s View Post
    Well the new white sprocket gave out this morning. No warning!! Luckly I had just got off Interstate for gas. Installed in June of 2020. Only 5000 miles! I think they are worse than the original. I'm going back to the old sprocket number.IMG_1907.jpgIMG_1909.jpgIMG_1910.jpg
    When you installed the worn white pulley new…… what grease did you put on the splines and was the old bolt reused? What torque?
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

With it giving out so fast, I also would question the installation, tq, and grease or bolt being used. I had mine replaced on my 2016 F3T and asked if it should be something replaced or checked every so often (like a wear item). I was told that if installed properly, it should be a permanent fixture and not need any maintenance for the life of the spyder. They say that the ones they have replaced were normally due to improper installation, either from the factory or by individuals. They say they have never had one returned for repairs after they did the replacement. I am hoping they are correct, but I keep check before each long ride, or every 3-4 months.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    With it giving out so fast, I also would question the installation, tq, and grease or bolt being used. I had mine replaced on my 2016 F3T and asked if it should be something replaced or checked every so often (like a wear item). I was told that if installed properly, it should be a permanent fixture and not need any maintenance for the life of the spyder. They say that the ones they have replaced were normally due to improper installation, either from the factory or by individuals. They say they have never had one returned for repairs after they did the replacement. I am hoping they are correct, but I keep check before each long ride, or every 3-4 months.
    with you and Peter .... I had my doubts from the beginning when folks were claiming the " new White " version was DESIGNED better

..... It certainly doesn't sound like the " metallurgy " has changed " ..... Which leads me to think that it's more about the PASTE and how it's been applied ..... We shall see .... Mike ..... PS Istill have my original Sprocket on my 14 RT with over 66,000 mi
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-08-2022 at 11:23 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderF3-s View Post
    I see no evidence of assembly lube……
    The only improvement of the”White” pulley was to address the whistling sound…..The Smoaks addressed this a year ago on his You Tube channel.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    …..The Smoaks addressed this a year ago on his You Tube channel.
    I think this is the video you're talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1aQbYGNcCA
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

A few ideas that I have with this particular event.

If the output shaft splines are the least bit rounded, worn, or otherwise compromised. The new pulley is going to fail. And can fail quickly. Any amount of space between the pulley and shaft splines will allow movement. Movement is fatal. A correct installation and grease application can extend the life of the sprocket, under these conditions. But these steps will not save it.

This is not to say that your problem could not have been caused by poor or improper installation. But spline gap should not be ruled out. Especially if the new sprocket was installed correctly.

The sprocket spline material is intentionally softer than the output shaft as a failsafe measure to protect the much more expensive and harder to fix output shaft. If you have a failure, it is best to have it in the pulley.

I know the experts have settled upon a certain grease lubricant for the spline interface. But I've always wondered if an appropriate Loctite product might not be a better idea.

In any case. It is a shame that BRP has let this issue ride for so long. Surely, the engineers they employ could come up with a bullet proof solution. I suspect the accountants have more to do with this seeming lack of interest than the engineers.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Shame on you BRP for not fixing this problem that hundreds of the purchasers of your expensive product have had to suffer through.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Correct! They didn't get what they paid for.

The old reliability spyder bytes again.....and again.....and again.
    Last edited by Freddy; 02-08-2022 at 10:58 PM.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Seems to me Kenny Butler (and maybe others, but Kenny had posted it a while back) was using a Loc-Tite process that was, more or less, used their product to fill in the gaps and "bond" the pulley to the shaft. I wonder how those repairs are lasting?

We've had/have 4 F3 models over the years. An F3-S that have over 20K miles without issue. An F3-S that I PM'd at 31K miles that looked like new. An F3-L that failed at about 20K. An F3-T that only has 2500 miles on it but looked good when I PM'd the drive sprocket. What's different?

The F3-S models I've ridden the crap out of, laying waste to multiple tires in the process: no problems. The F3-L pulled a trailer for a significant period: did that contribute to the demise of the sprocket?
    Last edited by pauly1; 02-09-2022 at 11:45 AM.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

BB9194E6-7BC6-43DD-B61C-30035F93C0C4.jpg This the lubricant that I used on the last two sprockets. I check to make sure bolt is tight every week. Shaft doesn’t seem to be worn much 9E9C2C0F-AD26-4EA0-B62A-6B5D474B0EDF.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    Seems to me Kenny Butler (and maybe others, but Kenny had posted it a while back) was using a Loc-Tite process that was, more or less, used their product to fill in the gaps and "bond" the pulley to the shaft. I wonder how those repairs are lasting? ......
    It was probably 660. They haven't been back to report failures to my knowledge.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-10-2022 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

You guys might want to try this product: https://www.tsmoly.com/grease-spline-grease-p-367.html or this one: https://www.tsmoly.com/anti-seize-lu...2sub-p-84.html

I'll try the TS-70 when I do my service, The TS 60 SG looks like a Honda Moly 60 replacement...Regards,
    Last edited by BMac920; 03-14-2022 at 08:22 PM.
    2018 F3-L
    w/2600mi-2/14/22
    - The Ultimate F3 Floorboard
    - HeliBars
    - 20" MadStad Wind Screen
    - Garmin Zumo XT
    - ROLO LASER Alignment, Tyler Texas
    - Greased Front Sprocket Splines w/TS-70
    - Baja Ron Heim End Links
    Many two-wheelers and w/40+ years of Riding
    The Woodlands, Texas

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    A few ideas that I have with this particular event.

If the output shaft splines are the least bit rounded, worn, or otherwise compromised. The new pulley is going to fail. And can fail quickly. Any amount of space between the pulley and shaft splines will allow movement. Movement is fatal. A correct installation and grease application can extend the life of the sprocket, under these conditions. But these steps will not save it.

This is not to say that your problem could not have been caused by poor or improper installation. But spline gap should not be ruled out. Especially if the new sprocket was installed correctly.

The sprocket spline material is intentionally softer than the output shaft as a failsafe measure to protect the much more expensive and harder to fix output shaft. If you have a failure, it is best to have it in the pulley.

I know the experts have settled upon a certain grease lubricant for the spline interface. But I've always wondered if an appropriate Loctite product might not be a better idea.

In any case. It is a shame that BRP has let this issue ride for so long. Surely, the engineers they employ could come up with a bullet proof solution. I suspect the accountants have more to do with this seeming lack of interest than the engineers.
    A Loctite product would make sense but how hard is it going to be to take the pulley off if you do? How much heat is it going to take to make it let go?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    A Loctite product would make sense but how hard is it going to be to take the pulley off if you do? How much heat is it going to take to make it let go?
    Depending on which product you use. No heat at all. The other factor is, if the pully doesn't fail. You will probably never need to remove it.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...