Spyder Garage

Default Help With Frunk Removal

I have a 2015 RT special edition and I purchased the Lamonster L.E.D. kit which includes fog light and headlight bulbs. In trying to get the left side (pod) open to insert the bulb, there is an air intake plastic channel that blocks the ability to get it open, so decided to try to remove the frunk and I also have a SpyderPops bump plate to deal with. So I suppose I have to undo the wiring for the led lights for the bump/skid plate? Then unplug all light connections and undo the lock latch? The videos I've watched are not 2015 RT specific, the closest is a 2014, but they do not mention the air intake at all as being a pain. Any pictures or advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-15-2021 at 06:34 PM. Reason: bumb = bump?? ;-)

Spyder Garage

Best video out there. Watch and learn. Can’t mess it up. Play, pause, perform. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw5atKHlmp4

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thereverend View Post
    I have a 2015 RT special edition and I purchased the Lamonster L.E.D. kit which includes fog light and headlight bulbs. In trying to get the left side (pod) open to insert the bulb, there is an air intake plastic channel that blocks the ability to get it open, so decided to try to remove the frunk and I also have a SpyderPops bump plate to deal with. So I suppose I have to undo the wiring for the led lights for the bump/skid plate? Then unplug all light connections and undo the lock latch? The videos I've watched are not 2015 RT specific, the closest is a 2014, but they do not mention the air intake at all as being a pain. Any pictures or advice would be appreciated.
    Personally speaking I have re-moved my Frunk ( 2014 RT ) literally hundreds of times ( I was designing my front shock brackets ) .... I soon decided that the " rubber elbow " was NOT really needed, and I re-moved it ..... end of mounting issue..... god luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    Best video out there. Watch and learn. Can’t mess it up. Play, pause, perform. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw5atKHlmp4
    See next post. I somehow double posted. Oh well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Agreed. It's the video I used when replacing the head and fog lamps on my 2015 RT-S. Take your time, observe carefully where cables connect, and the routing of those you disconnect. You will have to raise the front off the ground. I used car ramps and they gave me sufficient room to remove the two bolts on the underside of the frunk. It is not an easy project but it can be done successfully by an amateur - me for instance. Oh, and when re-assembling put a bit of dish washing liquid on the inner edge of the grey plastic elbow and it will make inserting it into the receptacle easier. And, lastly do not forget to re-connect the frunk cable release mechanism - an oversight based on experience. And if you don't have KOTTS grills, it's a good time to clean the bugs and leaves and whatnot off the two radiators. Good luck and keep calm.

2015 RTS trunk removal.jpg
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

I have zero experience changing out the fog lamps but there are youtube videos on replacing the fog lamps. The left side is tough but doable. From what I saw patience is your friend.

Spyder Garage

Default I gave it a try today

I loaded the spyder up on ramps, took off plastic panels, disconnected all electrical connections including the lights on the spyderpops bump skid plate, removed headlights and installed the lamonster LED bulbs with the driver velcro-ed to the cover on both sides. Then took off the frunk and installed the LED fog lights while it was on the ground, reinstalled but had trouble with the headlight adjuster on the left side reentering the hole, but with some effort and a needle nose plyers, was able to get it. Lost one bolt somewhere in the abis, but went to hardware store and bought a couple, total time was 4 hours, Video was very helpful and all of your comments helpful. Thank ya'll !

Spyder Garage

keep his YouTube channel. He’s got some other good videos. His shock adjuster was great with the jig and fixture he made. The cart under the frunk is the cats meow in my opinion. Easy off and easy in.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Wow! I just trim 3/16 off the tab on the fog light cover, and it goes right in!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

After installing the LED's is it necessary to adjust headlight height? and if so what distance and height is the recommended procedure? Or how do you check it ?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thereverend View Post
    After installing the LED's is it necessary to adjust headlight height? and if so what distance and height is the recommended procedure? Or how do you check it ?
    Changing the " BULB or LED " will not change the focus / alignment ( at it didn't on mine ) ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Changing the " BULB or LED " will not change the focus / alignment ( at it didn't on mine ) ..... Mike
    thank you