Spyder Garage

Default Stripped Threaded Push Pins in Side Storage compartments????

H E L P ! !
    I went to do a simple upgrade to my 2021 RTL... I was going to put on the "Flasher Kit" from Slingmods, so my brake lights would flash 3 times before going solid red whenever I pressed on the brake petal!!
    I watched the Slingmods video on exactly how to do this 3 times... got my tools and the new Flasher Kit ready... and started just as the video says!!
    STEP 1. Remove the 4 screws, which are actually push pins, by screwing the head just enough to pull the push pin out!!
    Well, it seemed simple enough... except those "push pins" with a Phillips screw head don't unscrew... when you try, you just strip out the head of the push pin!!! Has anyone had any luck taking off the side covers to get to the wiring... and how did you do it!!!
    My photos... the pushpin is a screen grab from Slingmods!!

For reference... https://youtu.be/T--dPhShCAg.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pflasch View Post
    H E L P ! !
    I went to do a simple upgrade to my 2021 RTL... I was going to put on the "Flasher Kit" from Slingmods, so my brake lights would flash 3 times before going solid red whenever I pressed on the brake petal!!
    I watched the Slingmods video on exactly how to do this 3 times... got my tools and the new Flasher Kit ready... and started just as the video says!!
    STEP 1. Remove the 4 screws, which are actually push pins, by screwing the head just enough to pull the push pin out!!
    Well, it seemed simple enough... except those "push pins" with a Phillips screw head don't unscrew... when you try, you just strip out the head of the push pin!!! Has anyone had any luck taking off the side covers to get to the wiring... and how did you do it!!!

These look similar to what folks use for sheet rock ( which is soft ) , if they need to use screws to hold something on or up on a wall ..... IMHO the inserts (?) should have remained on the inside panel. .. and they are threaded only on the inside, pressure from the Screw is what makes them work ...... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i use a small pic to get under the head and pull out a little the body out with pic

Spyder Garage

Try to hold the body of the screw while turning the head. Make sure you are using the correct size driver. I've had good luck with a #1 Philips. They are miserable and wear out quickly. When these first showed up on the 2020's, one of our site sponsors, (Spyderpops, I think) was going to come up with a replacement. I haven't seen them yet.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    These look similar to what folks use for sheet rock ( which soft ) , if they need to use screws to hold something on or up on a wall ..... IMHO the inserts (?) should have remained on the inside panel. .. and they are threaded only on the inside, pressure from the Screw is what makes them work ...... good luck .... Mike
    Mike, you nailed it. These should have inserts that stay in the body and a simple screw to hold the panel on. I'm thinking like a Rivnut, but there doesn't seem to be anything available to set that up.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Those are just automotive car plastic trim fasteners. Local auto parts store should have them or similar.

Often what I wind up doing is using a scribe to raise the screw head as I unscrew it. On reassembly, you just push it, no turning required. Kind of like the push pins on earlier models just different.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

My local NAPA auto parts store carries a variety of those fasteners.
    Yuma Gary

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pflasch View Post
    H E L P ! !

I have taken many of these apart for installs on the brake Flasher and all of the other rear lighting. https://store.valueaccessories.net/R...herModule.aspx
    I only have been able to actually screw out a couple of the nylon screws. Now we just pull the panel back and then straight out after the other screws and bolts are removed. The rivets will come out no problem.
    Push the junk nylon screw out and replace it with a stainless screw if you like after you push it back in on re installation. They are basically there for alignment it seems, not really holding anything.
    We had a least 10 of them apart at Spyder Adventures in Maggie Valley.
    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories

Spyder Garage

I did the same job on my 21 RTL. I used long needle nose pliers to pull on the "screw" heads and just yanked them out. Going back in I used a phillips screw driver as a pusher and pushed the "screws" back in.

Spyder Garage

I believe part of the problem with these screws is that they require JIS screwdrivers to unscrew. I encountered this while doing a similar job on my S2S. JIS drivers will work on Phillips screws but not the other way round.
    Alan

Spyder Garage

I use the tip of an eyeglass screwdriver to get under the screw, while turning it with a #1 Phillips. Throw away the screw, after buying the same size in stainless steel. Future removal is a breeze! I had one customer who ruined the screw so badly, I drilled it out.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

These automotive push pins are identical to ones used on certain Dodge and Chrysler cars from the early 1990's.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Hello, I just had to drill them all out. You mentioned stainless steel push pins... I would like to go that route, can you provide a source?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-27-2023 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Had the same problem. Another member here told be about using a sheet rock screw. Just scrwe it into the Phillips head and pull the screw out. I pulled all mine out this way. Then just pushed them back in on reassemble.
    They are just a push pin don't need to unscrew.