Spyder Garage

Default Anyone Changed Ryker brake fluid? Any Feedback or suggestions?

has anyone changed the brake fluid in their Rykers yet?
    Did you have the dealer do it or did you do this?
    It is time to change my brake fluid per the manual, however, when I looked at the shop manual I have it refers to getting everything ready and then attaching the bike to BUDS and following the directions in BUDS. I know the bike has ABS, and that can complicate brake fluid changes.
    Any feedback and suggestions?
    Current: 2022 CAN AM F3S SS. Manta Green, Route 129 windscreen.

Previous:CAN AM Ryker Rally. Intense black, side case , comfort drivers seat, comfort passenger seat with back r test, wind screen, LED auxiliary lighting.
    2022 F3S, special series , Manta Green

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmith8695 View Post
    has anyone changed the brake fluid in their Rykers yet?
    Did you have the dealer do it or did you do this?
    It is time to change my brake fluid per the manual, however, when I looked at the shop manual I have it refers to getting everything ready and then attaching the bike to BUDS and following the directions in BUDS. I know the bike has ABS, and that can complicate brake fluid changes.
    Any feedback and suggestions?
    I can't imagine it's any different from any other " brake system " that uses fluid ..... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Plan to vacuum bleed? Big fan of the MityVac pump here ... Just gotta keep the MC topped off while working on it.

(And no, haven't bled my Ace yet, so no specific help there)

** Helpful (?) Hint > DO plan on replacing fluid annually in Cold Country. Stuff will soak up a lot of water in storage or just due to major temp changes.
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

I've been contemplating the same thing. Reading a few articles regarding automotive ABS, some advise using the same procedure as non-ABS, however the ABS valves and pump will not be flushed. Some advise intentionally activating ABS on gravel to flush the valves and pumps after a DIY flush. Some recommend a dealer. I suppose a DIY flush is better than nothing. I haven't checked with a dealer, but the Flat Rate Time Manual says 3 hours to do the job, and my dealer rate is $110 per hour.

For comparison, my 2019 Honda Super Cub has ABS, and the service manual lists no special instructions for changing brake fluid or bleeding the system.

Spyder Garage

Can you get the Speed Bleeders for the Ryker? Wonder if the sizing is the same at the RT and F3
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    I've been contemplating the same thing. Reading a few articles regarding automotive ABS, some advise using the same procedure as non-ABS, however the ABS valves and pump will not be flushed. Some advise intentionally activating ABS on gravel to flush the valves and pumps after a DIY flush. Some recommend a dealer. I suppose a DIY flush is better than nothing. I haven't checked with a dealer, but the Flat Rate Time Manual says 3 hours to do the job, and my dealer rate is $110 per hour.

For comparison, my 2019 Honda Super Cub has ABS, and the service manual lists no special instructions for changing brake fluid or bleeding the system.
    Just a thought .... After doing a Normal brake flush ( without doing an added ABS flush ) the brake fluid in the system is going to mix together very quickly ..... IMHO the amount of fluid that was not flushed is maybe 2% to 5% ..... So personally speaking I didn't bother with the ABS fluid .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

If it's possible I would check out speed bleeders, they rock and make that job so much easyer to do!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl