Spyder Garage

Default Audio Question (Sorry if this is already somewhere else)

Good evening everyone, I am an ST Limited rider in the UK, I have just invested in a pair of marine speakers 300watts RMS and just invested in a Soundstream ST4.1000DB Bluetooth unit which I plan to bridge to 2 x 250 watt RMS at 4 Ohms, my question is, do I look to wire direct to main battery via a switch, or run a split charge relay system and a second Aux battery for supply to the amp?

I have already invested in a battery and split charger, but can send these back if they are not needed?

Any help would be greatly received, I have a spare top box I was going to kit out with shadow foam to hold the battery, amp, and a facility for my phone, my Soundstream is paired to my phone, and my Chubby Buttons controller is paired to my phone for a complete wireless connection to what will hopefully be a much louder system than my built in speakers on my ST Limited, plan is to rear mount my speakers facing forward for some music when cruising around...

Thanks

Nick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Triker View Post
    Good evening everyone, I am an ST Limited rider in the UK, I have just invested in a pair of marine speakers 300watts RMS and just invested in a Soundstream ST4.1000DB Bluetooth unit which I plan to bridge to 2 x 250 watt RMS at 4 Ohms, my question is, do I look to wire direct to main battery via a switch, or run a split charge relay system and a second Aux battery for supply to the amp?

I have already invested in a battery and split charger, but can send these back if they are not needed?

Any help would be greatly received, I have a spare top box I was going to kit out with shadow foam to hold the battery, amp, and a facility for my phone, my Soundstream is paired to my phone, and my Chubby Buttons controller is paired to my phone for a complete wireless connection to what will hopefully be a much louder system than my built in speakers on my ST Limited, plan is to rear mount my speakers facing forward for some music when cruising around...

Thanks

Nick
    Why would you need an auxiliary battery, unless you want the sound system on when the bike is off?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I wasn't sure if the main battery would have enough amps to also run a beefy amp too when running?

Spyder Garage

Also FYI
    https://youtu.be/50YS9Q0HECA

Thanks Finless

Is ok when entertaining out at camp or something, does charge device & allow track selection (iPod) in this mode, not sure if will play MP3 from the GPS this way. If wanting better sound riding suggest a headset :Just easier & comms too, otherwise have seen alternatives, not sure of power & amp setups. Consult audio professionals & be weary of charging from bike -can be fussy about power & connections.
    35AE68F5-8AAB-49E4-B8BB-C99F0C99E3C5.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-13-2021 at 10:46 PM. Reason: 2nd : on 2thumbs ;-)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Triker View Post
    I wasn't sure if the main battery would have enough amps to also run a beefy amp too when running?
    The amp draws 300 watts max? That's 300÷12=25 amps when at max power. I think the alternator/magneto should be able to keep up, if that's your question.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 11-14-2021 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Correction on magneto
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    The amp draws 300 watts max? That's 300÷12=25 amps when at max power. I think the alternator should be able to keep up, if that's your question.
    I don't think His ST ( which is a V-twin engine ) has an Alternator ..... it has a magneto ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Cheers for the replies, Yes I have tried headsets, aftermarket boom boxes as Bluetooth, nothing offers the depth of bass I wanted, and unlike the RS, RSS layout, I don't want to fit the speakers up front as my front end looks great, and it would ruin the styling, so rear mounted facing forwards speakers is how it will go. I wasn't sure if I needed to run a split charger or not, I know how fussy a CANBUS loom is, I have had many vehicles running this setup, so just adding a split charger won't cause an issue, however, it makes what could be an easy install into something much more. I would much rather wire direct and see what happens now I have had your feedback, and I will rreturn the battery and foam I bought, and will sell my spare top box I think.

Headsets are great for somethings, but offer no bass at all, so with a view to getting soome sort of bass I bought 8" Pyle speakers with tweeters, as these were a better option than the 6.5" ones they do. At the worst case, I will just sell up those items, and keep the bass for the car, and Spyder for the open road and wind in my hair.. Cheers for the replies.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't think you need to be concerned about the Can-Bus unless you are tapping into an OEM circuit for power.
    2014 RTL Platinum