Spyder Garage

Default What Analog gauge replacements did you use?

What are you replaceing the analog gauges with? I would like to have a volt meter and usb ports but not finding ones that will fill in the holes. Are there fillers that let a smaller item into the 2" holes in the dash?

On another note, anyone using one of these
    https://www.denniskirk.com/tecmate/s...prd/284431.sku
    2016 RT-L , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hound -- Glowshift has your voltmeter https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1562238

And I'll be replacing the voltmeter with their clock because watching voltage is boring with the Spyder's 1KW alternator and my Shorai LFX battery (soon there will be two -- just got the cable fabrication tools).

It's not worth sending just the voltmeter to you but if you would also like an oil pressure gauge, I can build a plug-and-play kit for you and send you both gauges for cost of materials and shipping. Let me know if you are interested.

WRT to SAE port here's what I used https://www.amazon.com/OptiMATE-Cabl.../dp/B01N57XLNS Very nice recommended.
    Last edited by BertRemington; 11-13-2021 at 03:59 PM. Reason: correct USB to SAE
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

I installed a voltmeter on the right side and a dual USB port on the left side on my 2015 RT-S. Here's a link to the black blanking plate I used to install the USB port. https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...ank-black-52mm. 52 mm is notionally the equivalent of 2 inches. There's a good how to video in the DIY section of the forum that takes advantage of the stock power and ground connections. Here's my finished product.

RTS Dash02.jpg

RTS Dash03.jpg

RTS Dash04.jpg
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Replaced both. Installed a standard cigarette lighter receptacle on one side and a combo volt gauge and USB port on the other. In the center switch location right behind the middle of the handlebars, I installed another volt gauge with two USB ports. I have a battery tender lead, with a 15 amp fuse block, coming directly from the battery up to the seat where it's accessible to both driver and passenger. That lead has an SAE connecter and is primarily used for our heated clothing. All these items were purchased very economically on eBay. All these items were installed very easily and function quite well. They are also waterproof.

Spyder Garage

You can get blanks that go in those holes then you can cut anything you want into them!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    You can get blanks that go in those holes then you can cut anything you want into them!!
    Yes, you can. They are plastic and are 2" in diameter. They are very inexpensive and easy to install. Again eBay is a good place to find them. If you screw one up, just get another one. I found that they don't fit quite as tight as I'd like. They can move a little bit on their own as time goes by. I believe a little bit of black silicone in one or two places world prevent that movement.

Spyder Garage

Do a search on the voltmeter/USB port add on that I put into one of the blank spaces on the dash, where the voltmeter and oil pressure gauge is would go on a limited. Very easy installation which took me about 30 minutes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Plarimer -- I didn't know the Limited had a voltmeter and oil pressure gauge. I saw nothing indicating this on the wiring diagrams. Would you please point me towards a picture of the dashboard. Thank you.

BTW the primary reason I chose analog "pointer" gauges vice digital "number" gauges is I can't read the digital gauges in sunlight with the combination of my sunglasses and photochromic faceshield (and I can't read most of the Spyder digital display either). Besides I'm kinda old school.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can you pass the DMV eye test exam? I hope so.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Smile

2dogs -- good one As you probably know LED/LCD displays have a viewing angle and often polarization issues plus there is the matter of background/foreground differential. The GlowShift gauges are a White face with Red needle. Super easy to read in all riding conditions although tricky to photograph.

So let's examine my light path. LED/LCD is transmissive and must pass through my faceshield (Bell Panovision ProTint) then my sunglasses (kinda dark and probably polarized) and then my cataract lenses (monofocal with aspherical lenses to reduce glare) so things get dim. Meanwhile the GlowShift gauges are reflective and while subject to reflective glare they aren't to light path dimming.

In the early mornings and late evenings when I'm not wearing sunglasses I can read the Spyder's LCD dashboard without difficulty. But Hey this is California the LED/LCD-unfriendly Sunshine State so sunglasses are almost a full-time thing. GlowShift is my answer. Which is why I'm replacing the voltmeter with a clock.

WRT DMV eye exam, sitting in the second row of the El Cajon waiting area I can read the entire eye chart. My ophthalmologist is very pleased with his work and I even more so.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    Plarimer -- I didn't know the Limited had a voltmeter and oil pressure gauge. I saw nothing indicating this on the wiring diagrams. Would you please point me towards a picture of the dashboard. Thank you.

BTW the primary reason I chose analog "pointer" gauges vice digital "number" gauges is I can't read the digital gauges in sunlight with the combination of my sunglasses and photochromic faceshield (and I can't read most of the Spyder digital display either). Besides I'm kinda old school.
    If you look at Arian’s post above, that’s exactly what I put on mine. It has an active voltmeter and two USB ports. I’m very pleased with it and it was an easy installation.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question Do Limiteds have a voltmeter and oil pressure gauge?

Plarimer -- here's where I'm confused.

You said "... where the voltmeter and oil pressure gauge is would go on a limited."

Nothing I've read said the Limiteds came with a voltmeter and oil pressure gauge.

I thought they came with fuel level and coolant temperature gauges like my RT-S.

So would you send a picture or cite a reference to a Limited with BRP voltmeter and oil pressure gauges. Thank you.

BTW I was amused to see Arion added an analog "pointer" clock to his Spyder. Probably for the same reason I'm replacing my GlowShift voltmeter with a GlowShift clock -- sunshine readability.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2dogs -- good one As you probably know LED/LCD displays have a viewing angle and often polarization issues plus there is the matter of background/foreground differential. The GlowShift gauges are a White face with Red needle. Super easy to read in all riding conditions although tricky to photograph.

So let's examine my light path. LED/LCD is transmissive and must pass through my faceshield (Bell Panovision ProTint) then my sunglasses (kinda dark and probably polarized) and then my cataract lenses (monofocal with aspherical lenses to reduce glare) so things get dim. Meanwhile the GlowShift gauges are reflective and while subject to reflective glare they aren't to light path dimming.

In the early mornings and late evenings when I'm not wearing sunglasses I can read the Spyder's LCD dashboard without difficulty. But Hey this is California the LED/LCD-unfriendly Sunshine State so sunglasses are almost a full-time thing. GlowShift is my answer. Which is why I'm replacing the voltmeter with a clock.

WRT DMV eye exam, sitting in the second row of the El Cajon waiting area I can read the entire eye chart. My ophthalmologist is very pleased with his work and I even more so.
    I get what you're say'n. I've been wearing prescription sunglasses with a G-15 polarized lens rating for years. I worked on the water which causes constant glare issues. Because I had gauges I needed to keep an eye on, I had 2-power bifocal lenses made on the very bottom of the lens. Worked very well because I didn't have to move my head to see both what was in front of me and what my gauges were telling me. Also works perfectly on my spyder. Just look down then up. Don't have to keep bobbing my head up and down. I don't use a helmet face shield. Too much distortion with glassed, faceshield and sometimes the windshield.

Spyder Garage

I found this GREAT aluminum adaptor from https://spyderstore.com/index.php?ro...&product_id=62 . Rock solid, screws to dash insert your dual USB.

Spyder Garage

I’m sorry I really don’t know what kind of a spider you have, but my RT has a blank round cover on each side of the dash. If you remove that cover you will find some wiring for the gauges that could go in there. I don’t remember the exact hook up but with the Number gauge I put in, it is very bright and can be read in the daytime with no problem. It also has two USB ports.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plarimer View Post
    I’m sorry I really don’t know what kind of a spider you have, but my RT has a blank round cover on each side of the dash. If you remove that cover you will find some wiring for the gauges that could go in there. I don’t remember the exact hook up but with the Number gauge I put in, it is very bright and can be read in the daytime with no problem. It also has two USB ports.
    Just to clarify for those who may not be aware but are interested, the Limited & some other up-market RT's leave the factory with an Analogue Fuel Gauge on the left, and an Analogue Coolant Temperature Gauge on the right.

From the 2014 Spyders & on, those analogue Fuel Gauges were a lot more accurate & reliable than the 2013 & earlier gauges, but both the gas remaining level & the low fuel warning light indication continued to be inconsistent & not reliably a heap better than a 'vague indication' of how much gas you had left in your tank, largely due to the poor location & behaviour of the sender in an odd shaped tank (btw, a tank that comes with NO Reserve - despite some of the BRP people & bunf trying to convince people otherwise! ) but the Coolant Temp gauges on most were pretty reliable & handy. However, if you disconnect BOTH of those Gauges (disconnecting just one of the 2 won't help!) then the Spyder that started out with these analogue gauges would revert to displaying the slightly more reliable digital fuel & temp gauges included in the dash display.

So only the base model Spyders & some of the 'not quite so spiffy' models came with those "blank round covers on each side of the dash".
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-18-2021 at 04:40 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Peter -- thanks for the clarification. I thought Plarimar had been confused thinking my voltmeter/oil pressure gauge modification was standard on the Limited. I have an RT-S and it appears the original owner (I'm the third) did some "up-market" additions like adjustable handlebars, fancy floorboards, etc. Anyway the voltmeter is getting replaced with a clock and the oil pressure will become oil&air pressure when I finish replacing the air suspension.