Spyder Garage

Default Is this a Nanny Issue?

Hello all!, I had an experience riding my 2021 Spyder RT Limited home on the local interstate last week which caught me by surprise. It’s approximately 15 miles between the city and my rural homestead. I was on my way home after running some errands in Ocala (Fla.). I-75 has 3 lanes between the city and my exit. I was rolling with traffic the first few miles when my instinct to crank it up a notch (speed) decided to take over. I immediately moved into the extreme left lane. Traffic in this lane typically moves at 80 MPH minimum on an average day though speeds can and will run higher

I need to mention I recently turned over 1000 miles on the odometer. I bought this trike new in early August of this year. Admittedly, this was the first time I wicked up the throttle so to speak as I wanted to get my sea legs with this magnificent machine. Take that last comment for what it’s worth. I’m not saying I’ve mastered this machine, only to say I now felt comfortable enough to slice and dice with traffic running at 80 + MPH

I was rolling along at a pretty good clip, 80 + MPH and I was 2 miles coming up on my exit when all of a sudden, the exhaust sounded louder, then louder and I backed off the throttle thinking perhaps one of the connections on the exhaust had worked loose, that was what it sounded like and continued as I eased off the throttle. I didn’t pull over onto the shoulder as I did it beleive doing that was warranted. Yes the exhaust became louder but it reached a point where it didn’t get any louder, if that makes sense

After this happened I slowed to 70 MPH and went on my way to my exit & then onto my driveway up back to my homestead. The following day I rode a little ways on my farm and all was normal. Yesterday I had a chance to ride her on secondary roads hitting 55MPH then my slipped onto I-75 and rode 12 interstate miles mostly at 70 MPH yet I did getup to 80 MPH for a ways. That said, the Spyder rode as normal as ever, as if the loudness never happened

With this information presented, in your opinion, is this a Nanny issue, the engine doing, sounding like an exhaust pipe was ready to fail? (For lack of a better descriptor). Is it possible that an oxygen sensor went temporarily haywire causing the loudness? Here’s a even better question…has anyone else ever experienced the above with their 1330 motor?!?

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I've experienced those kind of sound changes, but it's always my ears popping. Two levels of change?-- One ear than the other. Did the wind sound change -- listen for that next time.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What was the temp that day? Running with the wind? Might have been the cooling fans kicking in! Usually only occurs when slowing down on a hot day.

Spyder Garage

I don't have an answer, but others will fill in the blanks.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Simple answer
    No that was not the Nanny!

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

I agree. The nanny will cut power and maybe hit the brakes when she gets nervous but I can't see any way that would change the exhaust volume.
    Do you wear earplugs? If so, is it possible one was loose?
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I agree. The nanny will cut power and maybe hit the brakes when she gets nervous but I can't see any way that would change the exhaust volume.
    Do you wear earplugs? If so, is it possible one was loose?
    + 3 ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I’m going to answer each and every one of you in one simple post. No!~I wasn’t wearing ear plugs, it wasn’t the fans kicking in or others subtle noises, it sounded like the damn exhaust had either come apart or, blew a hole in one of the exhaust cans. It was freaking loud, which leads me to suspect that possibly an oxygen sensor had a temporary melt down as I’ve not been able to replicate this event

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

With out hearing the sound it's hard to say!! My thoughts if it was a O2 sensor I would think it would throw a code and stop working, but it could be some thing in one of your pipes coming loose and getting hooked up and coming loose again! I have had that on cars before. I do not think that Nanny has ANYTHING to do with this one! Good luck, I am sure that it will show it ugly head long enough to tell where it's coming from!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I doubt its an O2 sensor, on a Goldwing with an O2 sensor failure the only way I noticed was gas mileage took a plummet and the exhaust stunk a little. Otherwise no change in how the bike rode or sounded. I can't imagine an O2 sensor causing a difference in exhaust noise unless it backed out of the pipe and left a hole where it screwed in. In that cae I would think the bike would be louder all the time. Have you actually checked to see if all your exhaust connections are seated and tight?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The sound wasn't from your Spyder.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Jake, I do not have a clue exactly what caused your particular noise, but I have been caught out twice like that. The first time was when I noticed the exhaust sounding much louder. I actually pulled over. Turns out it was a b-double truck I was overtaking on an access road that was slightly below me and that I couldn’t see for trees. The second time was only brief, but it sounded like my engine was about to explode. I had forgotten I was passing about 5km inland of an Air Force base that rarely puts planes in the air. They happened to choose that time to send a fighter jet up for a practise run. I only knew what the sound was as I saw the jet cross above the freeway behind me. Hopefully you only experienced something along these lines

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    The sound wasn't from your Spyder.

~~~you weren’t there Bert, I was. It came from my Spyder. I’m sane enough to know when and where a sound is or was coming from and it came from my Spyder’s exhaust system. As far as to everyone’s theories, I think Mikey might be on to something. His explanation seems the most plausible to me

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Jake, I do not have a clue exactly what caused your particular noise, but I have been caught out twice like that. The first time was when I noticed the exhaust sounding much louder. I actually pulled over. Turns out it was a b-double truck I was overtaking on an access road that was slightly below me and that I couldn’t see for trees. The second time was only brief, but it sounded like my engine was about to explode. I had forgotten I was passing about 5km inland of an Air Force base that rarely puts planes in the air. They happened to choose that time to send a fighter jet up for a practise run. I only knew what the sound was as I saw the jet cross above the freeway behind me. Hopefully you only experienced something along these lines

Pete

~~~with all due respect Pete, I understand what you’re saying but the same did not apply to my situation that day

My concern trying to understand what happened, I don't get to ride as much as I would like and in 5 weeks I have to go up to Jacksonville and spend the night. I want to take the Spyder, but not if its going to give me some grief along the way. Well, I have 5 weeks then to see if the same will happen again. Hopefully ill be able to put enough miles on to either have it happen again or rule it out. In the meantime I’ll keep everyone in the loop and thank you from me to everyone that has commented, I appreciate your participation

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    2020 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jake -- to begin I compliment you on the comprehensive description of your incident. And incident is correct because it's a singleton.

SITSUM:

1. Vehicle is new although it has passed the typical 100 mile early failure mark.
    2. Rider, while experienced, is new to the vehicle.
    3. Rider aggressively moved into high speed dense traffic requiring full concentration on driving.
    4. Rider reported only sound not vibration or other symptoms.
    5. Rider did not report buffeting or other expected effects from high speed in dense traffic.
    6. Rider did not report sound at lower speeds or on surface roads.
    7. Rider did not report any trouble indications on dashboard.
    8. Rider could not replicate symptoms.

Jake -- enjoy your trouble-free visit to Jacksonville.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

The front of the cat is held snug on by springs. If you ran over something that bumped the cat back a bit, it may have developed a small exhaust leak, which corrected itself as vibration allowed the springs to pull the cat back snug.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by budC View Post
    The front of the cat is held snug on by springs. If you ran over something that bumped the cat back a bit, it may have developed a small exhaust leak, which corrected itself as vibration allowed the springs to pull the cat back snug.

This is an interesting dilemma. Of all the speculation, this makes the most sense to me. Maybe one of the springs broke and the exhaust temporarily separated.....? Good luck and keep us posted..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by budC View Post
    This is an interesting idea, since I had sealing problems when I installed my RLS pipe in place of the cat. I didn't have leaking problems with the spring/ball joint, but the clamp for the muffler leaked. I could easily hear that when idling, but I never rode it that way. I finally used some exhaust putty to fill the gaps and stop the leaks. When the rear wheel comes off or I adjust the belt, the muffler gets rotated out away from the axle nut. That sometimes starts the leak again and the joint needs to be resealed. The muffler isn't very firmly held in place and moving it could upset both the clamp or the spring joint.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    ~~ Hopefully ill be able to put enough miles on to either have it happen again or rule it out. In the meantime I’ll keep everyone in the loop and thank you from me to everyone that has commented, I appreciate your participation
    Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Yep……understand completely Jake…….I turned my F3 on after my first night of a 5 day trip, and got a throttle connector warning….limp mode. Do I continue or do I go home? It wasn’t limiting revs, so I thought “bugger it”, I’ll keep going. It was there the whole 5 days and no one I came across could solve it. Turned out to be a minutely loose pin in the throttle connector, that was making an intermittent connection. Ruined the whole trip, wondering what I would do if the F3 died somewhere in the remote country. Good luck finding the cause of your issue..

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Long shot but have you had a look at your air filter? If that's not seated or if collapsed or torn might make a bit of a racket when you wind it onto it .
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic