Spyder Garage

Default Can-Am Front wheel rim is directional. Anyone else have these?

Ignorance is bliss and until last week I was pretty blissful in mine. I went to Lamonster and one of the fine folks there came out and asked why I had two of the same wheels on my Spyder. I was then informed that the set I had was directional, left and right. So for my first post here I have the most ridiculous "problem" that you can have. My front drivers side, right wheel if you are facing the front of the machine, is actually the wrong wheel. Bought used from Arizona, never noticed the problem somehow. I was going to blow this off but the tech said that he wondered if someone else out there got two wheels that are the opposite of mine so I am curious. Does anyone happen to have these wheels the opposite of mine or know someone who does? If so I would like to see if we can swap the wrong wheels out. I am really curious if someone has two wrong wheels too.

I attached the image of the wrong wheel and this is a link https://www.ebay.com/itm/23398946429...AAAOSw5xBgjC9t I need the one where the fins are the other way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 ST , White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wrmv73 View Post
    Ignorance is bliss and until last week I was pretty blissful in mine. I went to Lamonster and one of the fine folks there came out and asked why I had two of the same wheels on my Spyder. I was then informed that the set I had was directional, left and right. So for my first post here I have the most ridiculous "problem" that you can have. My front drivers side, right wheel if you are facing the front of the machine, is actually the wrong wheel. Bought used from Arizona, never noticed the problem somehow. I was going to blow this off but the tech said that he wondered if someone else out there got two wheels that are the opposite of mine so I am curious. Does anyone happen to have these wheels the opposite of mine or know someone who does? If so I would like to see if we can swap the wrong wheels out. I am really curious if someone has two wrong wheels too.

I attached the image of the wrong wheel and this is a link https://www.ebay.com/itm/23398946429...AAAOSw5xBgjC9t I need the one where the fins are the other way.
    This is bizzare , did you buy this Spyder new or used ???? ..... is this model wheel made in left and right versions ???? ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I don't have any answers here...others????

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The 2021 Sea to Sky was that way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    This is bizzare , did you buy this Spyder new or used ???? ..... is this model wheel made in left and right versions ???? ..... Mike
    Used, yea, there are three or four OE wheels like this where they have a left and right, unidirectional. I am still amazed I never noticed it cause I literally notice everything.
    2013 ST , White

Spyder Garage

Easy fix. Jack up the radiator cap and replace everything under it with a '20 RT. those wheels are not directional.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I run that set of wheels on my '15 RS. I could be wrong but I just examined the wheels and there is no indicator on the wheel as to which side/direction it should be mounted. What is directional are the silver "blades" which are removable and come in left and right hand sides. The picture which you attached actually shows the correct mounting direction with the silver blades pointing forward. The only thing that appears to be directional is the spot where the blades mount - there is a kind of notch which does not allow you to switch the blades from one wheel to the other.

Bottom line is if the appearance doesn't bother you, I don't think there is any performance, alignment or balance issue. BTW, if or when you need to have the wheels balanced, remove the silver blades before you let them put the wheel on the balancing machine otherwise they can be broken. I learned the hard way.

2015 RS SM5, Navy F4 Fighter wrap
    Passenger Backrest, RT Handlebars,
    BRP Comfort Seat, Airhawk R cushion,
    Garmin 660LM GPS, LidLox, Can-AM Top case

Spyder Garage

Car rims are almost always like yours. One spoke will point toward the front on the left side and toward the back on the right side. There are some that are directional but very few. Otherwise you would not be able to rotate tires all around.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GK72Cane View Post
    I run that set of wheels on my '15 RS. I could be wrong but I just examined the wheels and there is no indicator on the wheel as to which side/direction it should be mounted. What is directional are the silver "blades" which are removable and come in left and right hand sides. The picture which you attached actually shows the correct mounting direction with the silver blades pointing forward. The only thing that appears to be directional is the spot where the blades mount - there is a kind of notch which does not allow you to switch the blades from one wheel to the other.

Bottom line is if the appearance doesn't bother you, I don't think there is any performance, alignment or balance issue. BTW, if or when you need to have the wheels balanced, remove the silver blades before you let them put the wheel on the balancing machine otherwise they can be broken. I learned the hard way.
    Bingo !!!! ..........Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    The 2021 Sea to Sky was that way.
    My Sea to Sky is the same. Maybe that is why it pulls to the left? … Just kidding, but I never noticed it is the same wheel. As designed or someone asleep on the production floor?

Spyder Garage

Looked at a Sea to Sky today. There is only one wheel, just mounted on either side.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've been doing rabbit chasing and here's what I conclude. First, those are optional wheels installed sometime after the bike was sold. The part number shown in the eBay listing is not one of the part numbers for the front wheel as shown in the parts diagram for the 2016 F3L. Even though the label on the wheel on eBay shows "Left", the description lists it as unidirectional, i.e., left or right. Some of the parts websites reference a wheel with the same name, Jante Peinte *painted Wheel. The part # is 705400785 and 705401231. The description doesn't list the size but the application is shown as being the 2010 & 2011 trailer.

If you want to pursue this farther I suggest you contact TSY America, http://www.tsyamerica.com. They are the manufacturer as shown on the label for the eBay listing. The eBay listing is the only Google hit I came up with that has a photo. What you have looks to be a quite rare wheel. Part # 705401440, the one on the label comes up with very few hits and no photos on Google.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

You got my mind doing back flips. I think what you need to do is post a picture of both your right and left front wheels and lets see what we think.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Those are the optional Can Am "Blade" wheels, and yes they are directional, and only sold as a set of left and right. I have them on my bike. When I went to a local tire shop to have car tires mounted, they mangled one of them and said they would replace it. I informed them that they are only sold as a pair, (being directional), and they ordered another pair. I hate to think that the good wheel was scrapped, but I did get to keep the "blades", which bolt on, in case any of mine are ever damaged. You can still get the replacement "blade" kit from Can Am.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    You can still get the replacement "blade" kit from Can Am.
    BEWARE! It is NOT a "kit". They are sold individually at that stupid price!! Don't ask me how I know this....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    BEWARE! It is NOT a "kit". They are sold individually at that stupid price!! Don't ask me how I know this....
    You are correct! But I believe in their eyes it's called a "kit" since it is supposed to include two new screws for each blade!! AND, the individual blades are directional also...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    You got my mind doing back flips. I think what you need to do is post a picture of both your right and left front wheels and lets see what we think.
    It's like trying to get people to realize that your front wheels are turning in different directions all the time. If you stand beside your left front wheel and watch the bike move forward, your wheel is spinning counter clockwise. If you stand next to your right front wheel and watch the bike move forward, your wheel is spinning clockwise. With these wheels, the shape of the blade is what gives the effect. If you watch the wheel turning when they are mounted correctly, the blade appears to be digging into the road. Mounted on the wrong side, the blade appears to be slapping the road. One has an aggressive look, the other a bit more wimpy!!

Spyder Garage

After the comment above about "Blade" wheels a Google search brought them right up. They are indeed left and right directional, although pictures of them installed don't agree which is left and which is right! The replacement blades are clearly packaged as right and left and the one in the OP's post is the "right" one, not left. It's unclear whether they are simply out of stock or discontinued but in any case they seem to be currently unavailable anywhere. But they are listed in the 2021 CanAm Spyder accessories catalog. I'm guessing so few of them have been sold that the OP's chances of someone having a pair of the other direction and willing to swap is pretty minimal. The eBay listing in the OP's post is the only one on eBay, and there is only one listing for one left side blade on eBay.

The 2022 CanAm Product Spec book, https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...l-EdvRY4vi5Wpi, doesn't list the blade wheels at all and only the left set of replacement blade kit.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

This listing calls them 'Unidirectional'. Which means that on the right side the blades will be forward. And on the left side the blades will trail. Different part #. So there may be more than 1 series of this same wheel design.

https://can-am-shop.brp.com/on-road/...ag-wheels.html
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-15-2021 at 05:01 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I sure fouled up in my first post above! I read unidirectional, but my mind said "bidirectional". Damn, it's hell getting old!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Easy fix. Jack up the radiator cap and replace everything under it with a '20 RT. those wheels are not directional.
    yes, the blade wheels ARE directional and are only sold in Left/Right PAIRS. You cannot buy a single wheel. They also indicate left and right inside the hub so you know which goes on which side.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    This listing calls them 'Unidirectional'. Which means that on the right side the blades will be forward. And on the left side the blades will trail. Different part #. So there may be more than 1 series of this same wheel design.

https://can-am-shop.brp.com/on-road/...ag-wheels.html
    No, they are sold in left / right pairs. The two wheels are mirror images of each other. When mounted according to instruction, the blades will be forward digging in on both sides of the bike.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Easy fix. Jack up the radiator cap and replace everything under it with a '20 RT. Those wheels are not directional.
    I don't care who you are. That there is funny as hell!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    Car rims are almost always like yours. One spoke will point toward the front on the left side and toward the back on the right side. There are some that are directional but very few. Otherwise you would not be able to rotate tires all around.
    2013 ST-S , Large Brake - Show Chrome Circuit Yellow Metallic

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl