Spyder Garage

Default RT - Rear Turn Signal Blink Speed Too Fast?

Over the summer, I purchased a 2016 RT-S. It had an LED light kit installed on the back of it which outlined the trunk area and back end of the Spyder. I removed the light kit but noticed that in order to provide power for it, there was a wire connector on both sides which drew power from the tail lights. I unplugged the LED light kit wiring from both sides, but left the connectors in place. I have noticed that the blink speed of the rear turn signals seems to be really fast, especially compared to my 2013 RT-S. My question is, is this the normal blink speed for a 2016 and if not, is it caused by the LED light kit connectors that I left in place? Thanks.

Spyder - Left Turn Signal (Crop).gif

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stewartj239 View Post
    Over the summer, I purchased a 2016 RT-S. It had an LED light kit installed on the back of it which outlined the trunk area and back end of the Spyder. I removed the light kit but noticed that in order to provide power for it, there was a wire connector on both sides which drew power from the tail lights. I unplugged the LED light kit wiring from both sides, but left the connectors in place. I have noticed that the blink speed of the rear turn signals seems to be really fast, especially compared to my 2013 RT-S. My question is, is this the normal blink speed for a 2016 and if not, is it caused by the LED light kit connectors that I left in place? Thanks.

Spyder - Left Turn Signal (Crop).gif
    I have made the switch to LED's ..... mine don't hyper-flash .... I think it depends on the LED's used .... You can add a resistor and cure it, some Spyders are able to be fixed internally ( but I forget which ones or how to do it ).... If yours are in hyper-flash IMHO they are more noticable..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Soldered in resistors and all is good.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

When I added extra lighting to my (previously owned) 2014 RTL the turn signals went into hyper-flash like you are experiencing. The lights came with instructions to put the flashing back to "normal". Making them normal was done totally on the bike's existing controls without adding anything. I don't remember what buttons or sequence they were pushed. But, if I remember correctly, once hyper-flash was eliminated, the process was irreversible. You should be able to find the procedure here by searching Hyper-flash. Good luck..... Jim

While I was typing, in now see that Lamonster beat me to it. The instructions in his video are what I did.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll add one more vote for Lamonster's method, but will add one little detail.

I had changed the signals to LEDs that claimed to be CANBUS-friendly (would not need resistors), but also added some other lights, so the bike ended up hyper-flashing anyway. I did Lamonster's method, which worked for a while, but after about a minute of flashing, started to go faster. I read somewhere on the forum about doing it again, but with the engine running. THAT is what worked for me.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

I finally gave up and just let my 2015 RT hyper flash. What the heck a turn signal is a turn signal. This spring I had to replace the battery and since then no hyper flash. Apparently having no battery installed for a few days and then installing a new battery convinced the bike to flash normally. No hyper flash this season.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    I finally gave up and just let my 2015 RT hyper flash. What the heck a turn signal is a turn signal. This spring I had to replace the battery and since then no hyper flash. Apparently having no battery installed for a few days and then installing a new battery convinced the bike to flash normally. No hyper flash this season.
    I don't think a new battery did this .... I think dis-connecting the system ( ie. total re-boot ) is what fixed it .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Great news. The procedure outlined in this video did indeed fix the problem. I can confirm that it does work on a 2016 RT. If I had known that it would have been this simple of a fix, I would have done this post back in June when we bought it. The hyper flash bugged me all summer and fall and figured it would be a winter project. Thank you to everyone who provided input for getting this resolved. I am good with the mechanical maintenance, but terrible with the electrical stuff!!