Spyder Garage

Default Ryker Hand Brake Now Available

The day I have been waiting for is finally here! ISCI now sells a hand brake kit for the Ryker.

https://isciride.com/products/ryker-hand-brake-system/

There is an installation video on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/ceKN6lXgsqs

Spyder Garage

That's nice and all but at $1595 you really have to want a hand brake.
    Two 2021 900 ACE's and a 2008 Kawasaki Concours 1400

Spyder Garage

And they talk about Ryker in the heading but Spyder everywhere else

Spyder Garage

I purchased the Spyder hand brake for both my 2013 and 2016 RTs. Definitely not cheap, but is a high quality product. Never had a problem. I came to the Spyder from 2 wheels and had a real hard time learning to brake with just the right foot pedal, especially when turning right and having to find it quickly. With the hand brake installed on the Spyder, it made the switch from 2 wheels to 3 wheels a seamless one. My wife and I use the Spyder for touring only and my main ride is still on 2 wheels, so for my situation, it is worth the cost IMO.

Spyder Garage

It is worth the price for me too. I can't operate the foot brake safely anymore due to disability. I get the concern about price though for anyone who doesn't need a hand brake.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boone View Post
    It is worth the price for me too. I can't operate the foot brake safely anymore due to disability. I get the concern about price though for anyone who doesn't need a hand brake.
    I have heard that from other owners as well as to their reasoning for installing it. It is a nice feature if it works for each person's own personal situation. We are lucky that it is even an aftermarket option IMO.

Spyder Garage

Price should be lower, but it is worth it for the owners who can't operate the foot brake safely anymore due to disability.

Spyder Garage

I'd be happy enuf with just the foot brake if there was any way to adjust the pedal effort. I always just put enough pressure on two wheeler back brakes to keep the back like ... in back where it belongs. Same amount of pressure won't do much on a Ryker.

PS ... not talking about messing with the front/rear proportionals ... let the computer handle that. Just be nice to be able to adjust the lever force to get the results you're used to without changing the pedal height.
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

For many, it is the only way that they can even ride! Hats off to ISCI! A full 25% of Spyder ryders are disabled in some way. This gives them the freedom to ride! Huge difference between want and need. ISCI offers a discount to those who are handicapped. How cool is that? WAY COOL!!! Thanks, Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I guess I should clarify my original response. It is nice and it definitely is a need for some people. I would love to get one for my wife as her right ankle is fused and a hand brake would be much easier for her but she operates the foot brake fine and even she told me it would be nice to have but it's much too expensive. Cut the price to $600-$800 and it would be much more appealing to people and they would probably sell a lot more.
    Two 2021 900 ACE's and a 2008 Kawasaki Concours 1400

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does anyone have any idea as to why Can Am does not include a hand brake with the unit??? It seems so logical to include a hand brake as is included in the family of similar vehicles, Motorcycles and ATV's, ie, recreational vehicles with handle bars rather than steering wheels.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

The ISCI brakes have always been priced on the high side. It is a good quality product, and enables many who are disabled in some way to continue to ride. Thanks ISCI.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

With state of the art Brembo brakes, properly proportional to load and urgency, why? Two wheelers need separate controls to keep you from skidding or locking up a wheel. All high end motorcycles now have linked brakes. Why move backwards?
    I’m sure you remember spool front wheels, no front brake, or tiny drum brakes. Choppers! Looked cool, mechanically useless! These are so much better!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-12-2021 at 03:16 PM. Reason: art ;-)
    Joe Meyer

Spyder Garage

Newby question.
    Does it retain the brake pedal or replace it ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    For many, it is the only way that they can even ride! Hats off to ISCI! A full 25% of Spyder ryders are disabled in some way. This gives them the freedom to ride! Huge difference between want and need. ISCI offers a discount to those who are handicapped. How cool is that? WAY COOL!!! Thanks, Joe
    Results of last motorcycle accident:

- Amputation lower left leg
    - Right leg's the bad one - new knee, rods hip to ankle, plus ankle reconstruction
    - Replacement (reverse) right shoulder
    - Left shoulder's the bad one.
    - Spinal fusion, lumbar and cervical
    - Drain bramage

I figured my riding daze was over until I stumbled on the Ryker.

PS - only complaint, BRPs timing was a bit off for me. I'd picked up a Ural and was able to convert and ride that with a suicide shift conversion and mods on the brake pedal to get it out from under the BMW style jug. Did all just before the Ryker hit the showroom ... missed it by that much, eh. The Ural is pretty much parked in my "motorcycle museum" since picking up on the Ryker. I will say it was a fun project I don't regret.

Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Newby question.
    Does it retain the brake pedal or replace it ?
    Retain. You have a hand lever and a foot pedal, both activates all three wheel brakes.
    Joe Meyer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    Does anyone have any idea as to why Can Am does not include a hand brake with the unit??? It seems so logical to include a hand brake as is included in the family of similar vehicles, Motorcycles and ATV's, ie, recreational vehicles with handle bars rather than steering wheels.
    I asked this same question back in 2013 when we bought our first Spyder. I then and still do ride on 2 wheels. One bike does have linked brakes but yet still came from the factory with the front brake lever. I would guess that it was a cost cutting measure by BRP to keep production costs down. The first thing I looked for back then was a front brake accessory and ISCI is what I found. Great product.