Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Hello all. i need help with getting a directory started for stranded riders

For the past 6 years i have been in a few situation where members have been broken down and pretty much stranded with there bikes. I have been riding for many years and i know this could be a scary situation for those that are new to motorcycling , let me go directly to what i am trying to get started here, i would like a directory with a list of those that can help others in a pinch, from towing to shelter and any mechanical help they can provide.
    last week here in nj a member needed assistance with towing a can am rt to there home. i would like every one to feel safe and know that if any thing where to occur on a ride that this community would step up and help. So can we discuss topic and make it happen, i know some have towing on there insurance or have AAA but if that does not work what do you do...lets talk thank you...

Spyder Garage

At least one such program already exists. Here's one........https://www.bunkabiker.org/
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    That map would be useful if it allowed new entries. I've tried several times to add my location with no success. There's a thread somewhere on the forum about the broken feature.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    That map would be useful if it allowed new entries. I've tried several times to add my location with no success. There's a thread somewhere on the forum about the broken feature.
    Darn, that's too bad. If I needed help with my spyder I believe I'd first pick another spyder owner.

Spyder Garage

Default Great Idea... I would offer my home and services to a biking stranger...

I think this is a great Idea.

It would be nice to have a proper area where a user here can log into and find a safe location in the event of an emergency or break down.

I would offer a bed, garage, tools, experience and comfort to anyone that needed it.

Tim AND Christine
    Current - 2010 Spyder RTS

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
    2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please check out my pics!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrMagicFingers View Post
    I think this is a great Idea.

It would be nice to have a proper area where a user here can log into and find a safe location in the event of an emergency or break down.

I would offer a bed, garage, tools, experience and comfort to anyone that needed it.

Tim AND Christine
    ..........I've had an open door policy ( for Spyderlovers ) at my home for the past 9 years .... even if it's not an emergency ..... some stayed for almost a week ....... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I agree. With a little tweaking and greater participation this could be very valuable to members.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I See there is support for this idea, hosting is one idea but would a member who is in need of help get in touch with fellow member, we need a phone directory that you would carry on your bike or a state by state phone directory. I am not always on line so if some one needed help they could call me directly. how would we set that up and could that be done on this site.

Spyder Garage

The idea came to me after a member broke down this past week and had no other way of getting help, alot of woman ride now so i could only imagine how afraid she must have been so i got my trailer and towed her home. so i am sure this could happen to others so how do we get more help to fellow riders and riders so we put them at ease.

Spyder Garage

There is NABR North American Biker Rescue, has about 17,000 members. ttps://www.facebook.com/groups/Neighbors.NABRs/?qsefr=1

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mosess01 View Post
    The idea came to me after a member broke down this past week and had no other way of getting help, alot of woman ride now so i could only imagine how afraid she must have been so i got my trailer and towed her home. so i am sure this could happen to others so how do we get more help to fellow riders and riders so we put them at ease.
    I don't see a way to do that. Not sustainably anyway. This site would be it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..........I've had an open door policy ( for Spyderlovers ) at my home for the past 9 years .... even if it's not an emergency ..... some stayed for almost a week ....... Mike
    I hear the cooks pretty good also!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm a member of the Gold Wing Riders Association (GWRRA)... they have a Gold Book Official Directory for each member, and a www.goldbook.gwrra.org that has thousands of helping hands for just the occasion you mentioned above...Plus as a member you can get several different road assists programs...larryd

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a great idea, but putting such together and administering the list could be a major job. I have been an AAA member for decades, and for many years now have had AAA Plus coverage, which includes my RV and my motorcycle. If I broke down I am entitled to towing for up to 100 miles to the location of my choice. This was a lifesaver for me two years ago when I had a blowout on my travel trailer down in Texas, which based upon the time and effort it took the AAA tow driver to remove the debris on my wheel (including the steel belt of the disintegrated tire) and putting the spare on would have cost me a fortune without coverage. Not having a spare on a motorcycle, or on my Spyder, even a simple flat tire can leave you stranded. I would recommend AAA Plus to any rider, even though AAA is far from perfect and you might wait several hours for the needed assistance.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

I previously rode a Kawasaki Concours and the owners association published a little pamphlet each year with all members names, addresses and phone numbers along with what they were willing and able to provide for assistance. It was organized by state and city and quite easy to use. I never had to use it but always carried it on my bike. Great idea if the owners of this site could do the same thing. It could be electronic and paperless but just have a section on this site to provide the information.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There actually was such a database called Spyders to the Rescue. And there's still a link on the Homepage, upper left under Spyder Web. But it appears that the link to the actual database is broken. It was maintained by JT, and contained location information of people willing to help a stranded rider, including tool and trailer availability. The last time I looked at it, it was all working, so I'm a little surprised it's not. Maybe one of the Mods could either work with JT to get it fixed, import it over to this site where it can be maintained here, or removed it from the Homepage. There's no reason to keep broken links around.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Vito in some parts of the country you cant get RV with aaa. I to have the same service but they dont always work and so that's why i am asking can we create something here
    so all the members can get help from fellow spyder riders. i had a wing and a ST1300 and they both had a directory of riders that where willing to help. i am in nj and would gladly help any one if they had my info....

Spyder Garage

Bartender you are on point , we need to talk to administrator.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    There is NABR North American Biker Rescue, has about 17,000 members. ttps://www.facebook.com/groups/Neighbors.NABRs/?qsefr=1
    I have mentioned NABR a few times here but for some reason people seem to avoid even acknowledging I shared it. I don't see the need to start something that already exists on a page that has over 48K members ready and willing to help. I post things about Spyder Rydes on their sister page (NABR Family Friendly Lounge) that is designed for just chit chat so they can keep the rescue page clean for it's intended purpose. Have yet to get any negative feedback about the Spyder not being a motorcycle.

The rescue page with so many members world wide is very effective in getting stranded riders off the side of the road and to safety. It is set up so anyone who is a member can initiate a "Chrome Alert" which is what they call a distress notification. That person can then run the alert start to finish using the online map that has thousands of members and their services or they can make sure an admin or someone closer to the situation sees it by tagging them. I've run a couple of alerts and have seen some where the stranded biker had help on the way within 30 minutes. With so many members and a fully populated map, they get the job done and it's all volunteers; no one has to pay a dime to be a member or get help.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    I have mentioned NABR a few times here but for some reason people seem to avoid even acknowledging I shared it. I don't see the need to start something that already exists on a page that has over 48K members ready and willing to help. I post things about Spyder Rydes on their sister page (NABR Family Friendly Lounge) that is designed for just chit chat so they can keep the rescue page clean for it's intended purpose. Have yet to get any negative feedback about the Spyder not being a motorcycle.

The rescue page with so many members world wide is very effective in getting stranded riders off the side of the road and to safety. It is set up so anyone who is a member can initiate a "Chrome Alert" which is what they call a distress notification. That person can then run the alert start to finish using the online map that has thousands of members and their services or they can make sure an admin or someone closer to the situation sees it by tagging them. I've run a couple of alerts and have seen some where the stranded biker had help on the way within 30 minutes. With so many members and a fully populated map, they get the job done and it's all volunteers; no one has to pay a dime to be a member or get help.
    The problem for me is that it's only on Facebook, apparently. I will not use that platform anymore, for a number of reasons.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    The problem for me is that it's only on Facebook, apparently. I will not use that platform anymore, for a number of reasons.
    ++++ Facebook died for me 5 years ago when they chose political bias over fairness of thought.

I'd love to have a free-standing app/site that is single-purposed for assisting bikers in need.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

cruisen tx sorry if your feelings are hurt because no one spoke of this group, i have a pending membership with them. i hope i am accepted .

Spyder Garage

RAY thats would be perfect, if your in the state that help is needed all those in that state would get a ping on there phone,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mosess01 View Post
    RAY thats would be perfect, if your in the state that help is needed all those in that state would get a ping on there phone,
    Maybe a standalone user-maintained and advertising supported app like Gasbuddy is the solution.
    2014 RTL Platinum