Spyder Garage

Default General Altimax question - why run 215/60R15 instead of 225?

I see where most are running the General Altimax 215/60R15 but I see in Tire Rack they have a 225/60R15 so why not use the bigger tire?

SCWingman

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scwingman View Post
    I see where most are running the General Altimax 215/60R15 but I see in Tire Rack they have a 225/60R15 so why not use the bigger tire?

SCWingman
    I'd be very cautious about that size increase .... there is very little room at the SWINGARM ..... I can think of ZERO reasons to try that size .... the 215/60 will correct the speedo almost 100% ..... the 225/60 might make your speedo read LESS than you are going ..... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Space. Your spyder may not have the space for it. Also rim width. The rim width needs to be compatible with the tire placed on to perform as it should. Using a GPS I found my spyder's OEM tire was off by just over 2 mph. With the Altimax 215/60R15 my speedo was off less than 1 mph. The tech that mounted my 215/60R15 Altimax said I had only about 1/2" clearance with that tire. Here's a chart to see the difference between the two tires.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...0r15-215-60r15

Spyder Garage

OK thanks for the quick reply. I will stick with the 215

SCWingman

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'd be very cautious about that size increase .... there is very little room at the SWINGARM ..... I can think of ZERO reasons to try that size .... the 215/60 will correct the speedo almost 100% ..... the 225/60 might make your speedo read LESS than you are going ..... good luck .... Mike
    I have a Vredestein Quatrac 205/60R-15 on order from Tire Rack...did I order the wrong size tire?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Space. Your spyder may not have the space for it. Also rim width. The rim width needs to be compatible with the tire placed on to perform as it should. Using a GPS I found my spyder's OEM tire was off by just over 2 mph. With the Altimax 215/60R15 my speedo was off less than 1 mph. The tech that mounted my 215/60R15 Altimax said I had only about 1/2" clearance with that tire. Here's a chart to see the difference between the two tires.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...0r15-215-60r15
    ..... However, as Peter and I have stared on many occasions .... all these " tire size calculators " are based on " mathematical formulas " .... some tires may fit the " formula " , but lots of tires may NOT. .... If there is little to no room for error, the wrong choice may cause rubbing ..... I'd rather err on the side of caution ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    I have a Vredestein Quatrac 205/60R-15 on order from Tire Rack...did I order the wrong size tire?
    NO !!! .... the 205/60, is only a little smaller than the 215/60, but smaller will work out fine. ..... The Quatrac is one of if not the best WET road tire that will fit our Spyders. ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

NO !!! .... the 205/60, is only a little smaller than the 215/60, but smaller will work out fine. ..... The Quatrac is one of if not the best WET road tire that will fit our Spyders. ...... Mike
    Thanks BK, was afraid I when I placed my order I mad a mistake, which I am quite capable of doing!!

Spyder Garage

SCWingman
    I put the General Altimax 225/60/R15 on my 2010 RTSE5 approximately 20K miles ago. I ride 2 up 90% of the time, run at 18psi with NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

..... However, as Peter and I have stared on many occasions .... all these " tire size calculators " are based on " mathematical formulas " .... some tires may fit the " formula " , but lots of tires may NOT. .... If there is little to no room for error, the wrong choice may cause rubbing ..... I'd rather err on the side of caution ...... Mike
    I made my choice of tires from Joe and Ann's recommendations several years ago. They have boo coo experience and miles under their belts. Like you and Peter, you all have the time and knowledge coupled with experience to back up your recommendations, and many others on this site agree with those recommendations. Keep the good stuff coming.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by timeless View Post
    I put the General Altimax 225/60/R15 on my 2010 RTSE5 approximately 20K miles ago. I ride 2 up 90% of the time, run at 18psi with NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.
    Well Thank you for this info, very glad it worked out for you ..... I'll add this size to my base of knowledge for the Altimax .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Lets not forget the OE size rear tire is 225 50R15. The move to 225 60R15 is no problem so go for it.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

SCWingman
    I am on my 2nd General Altimax RT 43 tire on the rear. I am running 215/60R15.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD