Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default F3L Advice sought - will I miss my RTL?

I own a 2016 RTL that I have thoroughly enjoyed riding. I ride pretty “spirited” thru the twisties but I keep hearing a F3L is even more sporty than the RTL.

I don’t know anyone that has an F3L and the dealerships around here have no inventory to even test ride an F3L. I’ve read of many RTL riders moving to a F3L and loving it. Not so much the reverse, for whatever reason.

My subjective question is - I’m looking to maybe buy a 19 F3L sight unseen but very low milage. If I buy it and sell the 2016 RTL, will I be glad and never look back?

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The price of use Spyders are through the roof right now. If you have a good deal on a 2019 and you want to try it than go for it. But if your shopping and looking at dealers you should just get a new 2020 or 2021 left over with full warrantee and it will be at allmost the same price as the 2019 I bet. Shop around look at Imotorsports here on the home page to see what they have. I still like the RTL but the F3L is a good machine as well. Good luck with your research / shopping.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 11-08-2021 at 06:47 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I have a bead on a 2019 F3L with less than 2,500 miles for less than $22K. Anything I’ve seen at dealerships are $3-4K more.

My 2016 RTL is immaculate with 35.5K miles on her.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DanY View Post
    I have a bead on a 2019 F3L with less than 2,500 miles for less than $22K. Anything I’ve seen at dealerships are $3-4K more.

My 2016 RTL is immaculate with 35.5K miles on her.
    This is a brand new 2020 left over with full warrantee 0 miles, but that one you are looking at sounds nice. https://www.imotorsportsinc.com/defa...=xNewInventory
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Any “in the seat” impressions from anyone from going to F3L after having owned an RTL or vice versa?

I understand the lower profile and COG on the F3L but how does the F3L compare to the RTL on highways?

Spyder Garage

Dan Y, just a bit from left field, I went from a ‘16 F3-L with Ron’s bar, Wilbers shocks and Kuhmos, to a ‘21 RT-L. In my opinion, the stock ‘21 RT-L handles as well as the ‘16 F3-L due to its lower COG than earlier RTs, and it is more refined than the F3, with Power screen, LED headlights, better weather protection and longer shock travel…….plus, I am now a “cruiser”, rather than constantly pushing hard.

That doesn’t help you much as you are moving from an earlier model RT to a later model F3. The RT does have longer shock travel, so it is worthwhile upgrading the shocks on your ‘19 F3. That will provide an excellent ride that matches the earlier RT. I was very happy with my F3-L on long, multi day trips. I assume the ‘16 RT also has a power windscreen, which you will miss on the F3, but Madstad make an adjustable aftermarket screen that allows some vertical and forward/back movement. The RT also has a little more weather protection, but that can be addressed on the F3 via Baker wings, if required.

We all have different drivers, so I can’t guarantee the F3-L will meet all your needs, but I would be surprised if it didn’t, given a more spirited ride is high on your agenda. The RT can be ridden hard, but the lower COG of the F3 just gives it the advantage.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I ride a stock unmodified 2016 F3L and have since new and I think the main advantage the F3 series has over the RT series is... the foot position. On the F3 series, it is adjustable to suit your legs. On the RT, it is what it is from the factory - like it or lump it. Me, I like to stretch out my legs so the F3L is excellent - I use position 5 (the longest).
    Andrew
    Melbourne Australia
    2016 F3L Spyder

Now, wash your hands

Spyder Garage

Dan, only your butts going to be able to tell you if you are going to be happy with your choice!!! Some people like different things, riding on top or riding down in, soft ride ,stiff ride! I would say test ride it, take it for a good ride and ask yourself, can I live with it? Your butt knows!! Good luck!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    This is a brand new 2020 left over with full warrantee 0 miles, but that one you are looking at sounds nice. https://www.imotorsportsinc.com/defa...=xNewInventory
    They do still show some great deals. But you might want to talk to someone at the dealership. I have been hearing that the 2020's are all sold out, even they they are still showing on the website to be in stock.
    As for moving from the RT to the F3 Based bikes, I went from a 2014 RT to a 2016 F3T (like the limited, but without the trunk). I like it, but you will loose a lot of storage space. If I was in the market for a newer spyder right now, I would take a serious look at the 2020+ RT series. They handle (to me) somewhere in between the older RT and the F3. They seem to have all the storage of the older RT, but much better handling. In fact, I drove my buddies 2020 RT Limited about 45 miles and believe I could actually be faster on that than on my F3T. Mainly due to being able to move around and hang off the seat a little more in the curves. It still has a lot of leg room, which is an advantage of the F3 versions. But you also get the adjustable windshield and more wind protection like on the RT models. You really need to ride them before you buy. And $22k for a used 2019 F3 Limited without a warranty is not a great deal. It is OK at best. Price point is always between trade in value and private party value. Anything more than that, I will be patient and wait. But just be ready to jump because when the right deal comes along, it will not last. I should have bought a 2020 RT that was sold locally for $15k, but I didn't simply because I had bought another F3T 8 days prior. Now I kick myself for missing out on that and selling the F3T later.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

The 2019 F3L does come with a warranty.

Black lightning - you sound like our riding styles are similar. The problem is there are no F3Ls to test ride close to me.

Spyder Garage

I am one of the "converts" from other models (GS/RS/RT, RT-S, and RTS). I like the F3 better. For the reasons stated above. I don't miss the "foo, foo" items that the F3 does not have. We have two F3L's. A 2019 and a 2020.

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING...What we like may or may not be your cup of tea. This is our "personal" opinions since 2019. We are 30,000 miles into the F3's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smokes View Post
    I ride a stock unmodified 2016 F3L and have since new and I think the main advantage the F3 series has over the RT series is... the foot position. On the F3 series, it is adjustable to suit your legs. On the RT, it is what it is from the factory - like it or lump it. Me, I like to stretch out my legs so the F3L is excellent - I use position 5 (the longest).
    No question the F3 has it over the earlier RTs on foot position, Smokes. The ‘20+ RTs have gone a long way to addressing that for shorter to moderately tall riders. Even me, at 6’7” can find a comfortable position on the ‘20+ RT (not as comfortable as the F3, but you certainly get used to it)……plus, I have installed highway pegs below the floorboards which really helps on long trips.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

ARtraveler,

Any noticeable difference the 2019 and 2020 F3L?

What foo foo items would I give up besides the adjustable windshield? I think the storage on a F3L is comparable or better than my 2016 RTL?

Spyder Garage

ARtraveler,

What foo foo items would I give up besides the adjustable windshield? I think the storage on a F3L is comparable or better than my 2016 RTL?
    Differences: The color combo is a bit more fancy on the 20. Two tone in trunk area. 20 has a redundant control panel on the gas tank as well as on the control handle. We have never used ours.

The 20 also has the quick linq on the trunk for easier removal. We have never tried dismantling it.

Foo foos: for sure, the automatic windshield. We both like the OEM shorter windshields on the F3's. Have not considered changing them out. I would also say storage is compatible. The F3L model has radio and cruise...but I don't think available on some of the "lesser" versions. I think that's about it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

ARtraveler,

I have to disagree on the storage being comparable or better on the F3L. The F3L has a great trunk. But the side cases and frunk are not very useful. On the older RTL, there was the weird shaped trunk that you had to work around. But the Frunk and side cases were very user friendly. With some negotiating, I was able to fit 2 XL helments in the frunk and an XL in the right saddle bag. So you do give up some useful space on the F3L.

Spyder Garage

The 2019 F3L does come with a warranty.

Black lightning - you sound like our riding styles are similar. The problem is there are no F3Ls to test ride close to me.
    we probably do ride similar. The one thing that I like the most about my F3T is that I got one before they went with the smaller sprocket. It has a lot more pull when taking off or accelerating out of the corners. The newer 2020 RTL is very smooth and powerful, but just doesn't have the grunt down low of my F3T. I just installed a pedal commander on my bike and it is now a true beast coming off the line. I think it would be a great addition to the newer model bikes as well. I was set on doing a computer flash, but after getting the pedal commander, I might not need it now. Only time will tell. Besides, I still have my BMW K1600 B for speed and comfort.

Spyder Garage

The big difference is ergonomics. I was headed to buy an RT, but when I sat on it, it was not a good fit for me at all. On the floor next to it was a F3L, so I hopped on it and I was home! It's funny the way things work out sometimes, because I am so glad I went with the F3L, for many reasons as previously stated, plus the ease of working on it. I do my own maintenance as well as for some friends and the amount of Tupperware that needs to be removed on RTs frustrates me.
    I also ride aggressively and prefer the lower saddle and CofG. Like others, I mine now sports car tires, Ron's sway bar, Elka shocks and a Pedal Commander. This is close to driving an F1 car as one can get without having to spend multiple thousands.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I have a Rt and F3. For touring hands down the Rt. For short trips and around home the F3 it’s a lot easier to handle

Spyder Garage

I had a 15 RTS and now and 18 F3L. I was never comfortable enough on the RTS. My legs and knees would ache. My legs were to wide spread and knees to low. Not a good combination. Love the cruiser position on the F3L. I can ride all day and feel much better on the F3L. Only thing I had to replace was the driver seat. Butt got sore very quickly. I have a Seth Laam seat and it's awesome. The F3L is a stiffer ride. But not by much. It handles much better than the RTS did. I sat on a 2020 RTL. Seat was still to high. More leg room but my knees still to low.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

What is the difference between a F3S and F3L?

Spyder Garage

What is the difference between a F3S and F3L?
    F3S is more stripped down. Sport ride. F3L has saddle bags, trunk, large dash we stereo, floor boards, heated grips, and more. Another words more luxury for touring.

Spyder Garage

The F3 I’m looking at has saddlebags, trunk and cruise so looks like an F3L. The warranty that comes with the bike says F3 S Se6.

Spyder Garage

Went from a '16 RTL to a '20 F3L; don't miss the RT at all. Wish I had switched earlier.

Spyder Garage

What about the decreased wind and rain protection of the F3L vs the RTL around the foot area?

Spyder Garage

What about the decreased wind and rain protection of the F3L vs the RTL around the foot area?
    Baker wings make lower wind rain deflectors for the F3 model's. They work good but would even be better if you have the ultimate floorboards also.