Spyder Garage

Default Headlight Replacement - First DIY

Hi All,

I have a 2017 RT and I have a headlight that is out. After finding out how much it costs to have a headlight replaced I have finally gotten to the point with the service costs that I am going to start doing as much of my own maintenance as possible and figured this is a good place to start.

Since you have to take most of the dressing off to replace I am looking to do both and replace with LED (last longer so should not have to do again and brighter thus safer). Does anyone who has done this upgrade have any wisdom to share about the brand they used and their experience? I am looking for a replacement that is:

- Plug and play - no cutting, drilling, dremeling, etc.
    - Compliant with Can Am - will not void warranty or run afoul of the ‘system’

As always, any guidance, recommendations and/or wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

YouTube is you friend. TricLED and Lamonster both sell LED headlight kits. Magic mirrors ease the pain of removing the mirrors ( which you'll do a lot)

Good lighting is a good thing---------

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

YouTube is you friend. TricLED and Lamonster both sell LED headlight kits. Magic mirrors ease the pain of removing the mirrors ( which you'll do a lot)

Good lighting is a good thing---------

Lew L
    ......LED is the way to go ...... You will need a 6 to 8 in ch extension for the ratchet and a 10mm socket to get to the upper bolts for the headlight assembly ( I usually put a small piece of masking tape inside the socket so it grips the bole head ) .... I have them for 1/4 in. ratchet ( they are less expensive ) ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I bought my LED headlight kits for both my 2015 RT-S and my wife's 2012 RTL (since replaced by a 2021 Sea to Sky) from Pierre and canamspyderaccessories.com while he was having a very good sale. The best part of his lights (at the time) was that everything fit inside the stock cover. The process is time consuming but not really difficult, until it comes to replacing the left side fog lamp lens. I ended up removing the frunk and it proved the best option, for me at least.

To supplement the very good info Mike provided, it's a very good idea to put a rag or towel in the area beneath the headlight module to keep from dropping a bolt into the bark void. I didn;t and it necessitated a trip to the hardware store to replace the wayward bolt. Good luck and be patient.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

I went with Lamonster. While you have the Tupperware off, go ahead and replace the fog lights as
    well Lamonster gives you a break on price if you buy both sets as a kit at the same time from him.
    You will not regret replacing with LEDs.

Spyder Garage

Not a tough job. Watch the videos, take your time, and use lots of rags and towels to plug all open areas. If you drop a fastener down into an unplugged hole, you will never see it again. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Here's a good video to show you the procedure for replacement; you might also want to consider the replacement they use in the video:

"Can-Am Spyder RT LED Headlight Conversion Kit"

I used the video to help me run a usb charging cable from the frunk to the dash.

Good luck with your project!
    Gekko (Larry)

2019 Spyder RT SE6

BRP Driver Backrest [219400679]
    Can-Am Spyder RT Magnetic Side View Mirror Mounting System (2010-19) [SM-4018, TAC Designs at SlingMods.com]
    Centramatic Wheel Balancers [MCAS400-410]
    Grab On Grips Grip Covers [FBA_MC402]
    Hopnel Cargo Organizer Nets For Can-Am Spyder RT [41-156]
    Hopnel Four Piece Luggage Set For Can Am Spyder RT [HCTL + HCSL]
    Marinco Power Products Pro Receptacle (in frunk) [12VRCTT.OEM]
    AmazonBasics Dual-Port USB Car Charger Adapter [CLA-2U5480_white]
    RAM 1" Ball Compatible Dash Mount (Black Powder Coated) [RT-RAM3]
    Various RAM mount components, phone mount, camera mount...
    2019 Can-Am Spyder RT / RT Limited Series Repair and Maintenance Manual Master Collection [Best Shop Manuals 180317]
    Show Chrome 41-180 Shorty Antenna

Spyder Garage

Like any project-it'll take you 2x as long and your going to use a couple &^%$ words so ....but it's totally doable for anyone...once you've taken this thing apart a few times. I have Lamonsters LEDs and yeah theres a lil notch in the case cover but a lil silicone covers it up. I'm sure all the other lights are great for various reasons but I'm a bit on the cheap side and Lamonsters had the best bang for the buck. I just replaced a rear tire and brakes on a 12 RT....I had done my 14 RTS a few months ago...it feels really good to save some $$ and struggle thru the annoyance...and all the you tubes and advice here helps but like NIKE says....JUST DO IT PS: that's a good video on slingmods..
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the advice all. Parts are on their way. Will let you know how it goes.

Spyder Garage

Where are you? We can do it in 45 minutes! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Thanks but in the mid-west. Would love to get out your way someday but not on one headlight :-)

Spyder Garage

Default Success! Thanks, and one more thing...

Hi all,

Thanks again for the help, with your suggestions I have completed the headlight install, and both work

I dis however encounter an issue from previous work a CanAm dealer did. I discovers the one of the pins that are behind the silver buttons on the side panel appears to have been forced in from the wrong angle and is broken. I have the replacement pin (least expensive part I have ever purchased for this machine - $4.95).

It appears that the piece pressure fits onto the interior side of the silver button. Does anyone have any suggestions for replacing? It looks to be like the only way is to destroy the original to remove and for fit the replacement. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I have added a pic to show the part I am referring to.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Without looking at my RT I think that is one of those security screws that screws into the nubbin. You can get a bit from your local hardware store. BRP uses security screws on some of those nubbins to prevent users from needlessly unscrewing them to remove the panels.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Without looking at my RT I think that is one of those security screws that screws into the nubbin. You can get a bit from your local hardware store. BRP uses security screws on some of those nubbins to prevent users from needlessly unscrewing them to remove the panels.
    It is! If you want to undo it from the bent placcy stem behind, you'll need the appropriately sized Security Torx/whatever bit. Sorry I can't help you with the right size, but I just scrummage around in the bottom of the bag until I find the bit that fits.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!