Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RT Rentals - Where?

Hi everyone - I rode 2 wheels for a number of years until too many friends got hurt and I got older and "nervous".

Las Vegas, NV traffic doesn't help any to that point either.

But I miss the wind in the face.

This all brings me to the Spyder and more specifically the RT - but I really want to ride one for an extended period before plunking down 25K.

I want to rent a newer RT model for a few days because if the wife {who is scared to death of bikes} doesn't like riding on it with me - then my funds would be better served going toward a convertible automobile.

I bring this up because I cannot find anywhere locally that rents RT Spyders.

I have checked Rider Share and Turo.

A few Rykers and maybe an older S model - but my wife (adamantly) will not ride 2 up without the dresser "security" of backrests and larger presence.

The couple places on the internet (Las Vegas) that talk about renting Spyders are either out of business; or don't actually have Spyders and try to switch you to a Polaris Slingshot, HD trike or some hideously ugly Rewaco thing.

So - I have a pretty open schedule and Allegiant, Spirit and Southwest offer cheap flights if I plan it out.

Do you know anyone in your area that rents RT's?

Ill take the wife on a long weekend and try it out in your hometown if you have suggestions.

Thanks.

Dan

Unless somebody in Las Vegas just wants to rent me their RT for a few days?

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Let me give you my first thought. going from 2 wheels to a Spyder is not easy. You will need to relearn how to ride. A lot of people that jump from 2 wheels to the Spyder will take about 1000 mile before they are comfortable riding. I would not recommend jumping on a Spyder two up if you have not ridden a Spyder before if all you have ridden is 2 wheel bike. Now there are places that do rent Spyders here in PA. but if there are any out on the west coast I'm sure some one will jump in and let us know. But rent and ride with just you to get the hang of it first, than get the wife to jump on the back. The Spyder is a very safe bike once you get use to it. Good luck with your research.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 11-05-2021 at 04:18 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Let me give you my first thought. going from 2 wheels to a Spyder is not easy. You will need to relearn how to ride. A lot of people that jump from 2 wheels to the Spyder will take about 1000 mile before they are comfortable riding. I would not recommend jumping on a Spyder two up if you have not ridden a Spyder before if all you have ridden is 2 wheel bike. Now there are place that do rent Spyders here in PA. but if there are any out on the west coast I'm sure some one will jump in and let us know. But rent and ride with just you to get the hang of it first, than get the wife to jump on the back. The Spyder is a very safe bike once you get use to it. Good luck with your research.
    Absolutely everything Copper said. After having just test ridden my first Spyder recently I can tell you I would have absolutely hated having a passenger aboard. They definitely take some getting used to.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

http://www.cyclevisionsrental.com/can-am-rentals/ offers a 2017 F3 SE6 at $179/day located at 4263 Taylor Street San Diego, CA 92110. I stopped by once asking about Spyder service but they use another shop for that. Nice looking business inside but kinda tricky location road-wise (a San Diego specialty for tourists).

Totally concur with CS and FD: you want to go solo for the first few hundred miles. I suggest two-step process: (1) ride the F3 solo for a few days; and (2) if you like it test ride a LV RT with your wife. She'll let you know within 5 miles. I suspect you're going to end up with a convertible.

I'd offer mine to ride but it's too personalized and the air suspension is troublesome (which I'm fixing).
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

The secret to getting my wife to enjoy riding with me on the motorcycle turned out the same as getting her happy on the Spyder.

Teach her her role. Yes, leaning on the Spyder helps stabilize the bike. Avoud letting the curves "flop" you around. Let her try different ways to mount. A member on here suggested right foot on right floorboard first, then left foot back to passengers footrest and straighten the left leg to allow lifting the right leg easily over the seats. Let her practice, maybe she will want to sit first then move a leg over. Women care about looking graceful. And hair! Get her a helmet liner or silk scarf to keep the hair somewhat straight and avoid "helmet head". Carry a small hair brush and mirror in the trunk for her. Insist on safety gear - this will reinforce to her that you care for her safety. Get her comfortable setting on it and using the grab bars to stabilize herself.

Take it easy. You need to know the vehicle and its responses well. Braking is different, shifting is different, and cornering is a lot different. Just resting your hands on the bars (don't hold them) on a straight is different.

Make the first rides short in a scenic area that will allow her to immerse herself in the environment and forget about how she is moving through it. We live in East Tennessee - that part was easy for us.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you have ridden ATV's, then a riding a Spyder/Ryker is a piece of Cake.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    100%. Test rode the HD trike and the spyder each twice before I made a purchase. The second ride on each one was 2up. After all, the wife's input is important and it's her money also. Been chasing cows and irrigating on a quad for 30+ years so operating the trikes was a no-brainer. Yes, by all means, if you're a newbie take a class and stay off the freeways for a 100 or so miles. The environment of being on 2 or 3 wheels at 30 mph and above is NOTHING like being in an automobile at the same speeds.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    I have ridden quads, snowmobiles and two wheels - on and off road.
    I didn't want to argue with anyone - but it surely doesn't seem like a Spyder should be some major significant challenge.

A Ford F150 drives differently than a Corvette. A Goldwing rides differently than a GXR. And I assume a Spyder rides differently from all of the above.
    But I assume; a competent pilot can "learn".

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VegasDan View Post
    I have ridden quads, snowmobiles and two wheels - on and off road.
    I didn't want to argue with anyone - but it surely doesn't seem like a Spyder should be some major significant challenge.

A Ford F150 drives differently than a Corvette. A Goldwing rides differently than a GXR. And I assume a Spyder rides differently from all of the above.
    But I assume; a competent pilot can "learn".
    That's correct everyone can learn. If you have ridden a snowmobile than its close to that. but it is not like a two wheel bike. That was all I was trying to get across. New Spyders has no hand clutch lever, no hand brake lever and when it's time to turn the Spyder in a corner you turn the handle bars unlike the push pull lean of a 2 wheeler. For most that have just ridden two wheels that takes some getting use to at first. So its like Ripley's believe it or not. That's my story and it took me a long time before I stopped reaching for the hand brake, but I always used my foot brake too so I was ok. Glad I was not two up on my first ride. I'm sure you will be ok and do fine. Make sure and let us know how you like it. I do want to let you know it gets better the more you ride the Spyder.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wife and I came from many years of 2 wheel bikes and snowmobiles. Found the transition to the Spyder easy. Will agree that I did go looking for the front brake for a while and took a bit to stop putting my feet down at stops. Have never looked back.

Spyder Garage

My wife is currently becoming ''one'' with her Spyder. Years of snowmobiling conditioned her and after a 20 min. test ride she said it's like a sled on the road and she pulled the trigger on her '15 F3 . I'll transition when my old legs aren't happy holding up my HD. Plus I get to play with hers meanwhile.
    John
    "some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium

Spyder Garage

I tend to agree with the above. Prior to my purchase about a week and a half ago, I had never even started a Spyder. I rode it around the dealers lot a couple times and then headed home. After about 6 miles I got on the Interstate and got up to speed and stayed there for 60 miles. I was cautious and stayed at the limit but felt quite comfortable. I then took my wife for a small jaunt. That also felt fairly normal.

Since then my only interaction with the bike has been to store it for the winter. Anybody see anything wrong with my timing?

Spyder Garage

I rented a 2018 RTL in Phoenix a couple of winters ago. Sorry, but I don't remember the company.

Spyder Garage

There's still plenty of riding weather before NJ gets too cold for the 'Summer' riders. Plus, if you have heated gear, you can ride all winter and avoid the crowded by-ways loaded with the Summer Warriors. The Polar Bear Grand Tour season is upon us giving us a weekly destination to enjoy.

If you have to put it away, be sure to winterize first.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Coming from 2 wheels, my biggest issue is braking. On the ST, the front brake does 85% of the work - the foot brake was an afterthought, used mostly for holding the bike when stopped on hills.

During ordinary riding, I have no problem using the foot brake, but in quick thinking situations, my instinct was to grab the non-existent front brake. I've was careful to leave plenty of room in front, so I haven't hit anything.

If you have plenty of experience with dirt bikes - I gave them up when my knees let me know that I should, 20 years ago, you shouldn't have that front brake myopia that I'm afflicted with.

Good luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This brings up a question that I am totally puzzled with.

Does anyone have a clue as to why the Spyder/Ryker does not come with a handle bar hand brake?? The cost of including one during manufacture would be minimal at best.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

So there you go Dan, Post #15, a place in Phoenix,not too far from you and just getting into their riding season. Let us know how things go for you.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    So there you go Dan, Post #15, a place in Phoenix,not too far from you and just getting into their riding season. Let us know how things go for you.
    Phoenix is very convenient and I won't even have to use any airline miles. 3.5 hours and a McDonalds drive thru.
    And IF the wife hates it - since our car will be there - we can always cut the ride short and have alternate transportation. Something I was concerned about if we had flown in someplace.

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VegasDan View Post
    Hi everyone - I rode 2 wheels for a number of years until too many friends got hurt and I got older and "nervous".

Las Vegas, NV traffic doesn't help any to that point either.

But I miss the wind in the face.

This all brings me to the Spyder and more specifically the RT - but I really want to ride one for an extended period before plunking down 25K.

I want to rent a newer RT model for a few days because if the wife {who is scared to death of bikes} doesn't like riding on it with me - then my funds would be better served going toward a convertible automobile.

I bring this up because I cannot find anywhere locally that rents RT Spyders.

I have checked Rider Share and Turo.

A few Rykers and maybe an older S model - but my wife (adamantly) will not ride 2 up without the dresser "security" of backrests and larger presence.

The couple places on the internet (Las Vegas) that talk about renting Spyders are either out of business; or don't actually have Spyders and try to switch you to a Polaris Slingshot, HD trike or some hideously ugly Rewaco thing.

So - I have a pretty open schedule and Allegiant, Spirit and Southwest offer cheap flights if I plan it out.

Do you know anyone in your area that rents RT's?

Ill take the wife on a long weekend and try it out in your hometown if you have suggestions.

Thanks.

Dan

Unless somebody in Las Vegas just wants to rent me their RT for a few days?
    About two years ago, I went to my local Can-Am dealer to hopefully test ride a Spyder. I told the salesman that I ride a Harley, been riding for years, and have my motorcycle endorsement on my driver's license. He said, "Sure, you can test ride one, but you're restricted to our parking lot".

I was like, "What ?? What kind of bull**** test ride is that ??"

He said, "Sorry, that's just our policy".

Fast forward a few months later, and my g/f and I decide to vacation in Vegas. I was surfing the internet and came upon an outfit called "Las Vegas Spyder Tours". It was here that I got to wring out a Spyder, taking the tour of Red Rock Canyon and blasting down the interstate at 80 mph. After the tour was done, we decided that a Spyder will occupy a spot in our garage, and this became a reality in September of 2019.

I would highly recommend doing a tour with this outfit, but for some reason, they no longer exist.

Good luck !!
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

Well.....
    I got tired of waiting and I am a little bit impetuous; so I am pulling the trigger and simply putting my deposit down on a 2022 RT Limited in Petrol Blue.
    What better way to commit than jump in with both feet.

The Spyders seems to be holding their value well enough that this wont be the most expensive mistake I have ever made - even if we don't love it.
    Shoot, one of our local dealers is trying to sell a used 2021 for more than I'm paying for the 2022.

Now to drop another small fortune in new helmets and gear.
    But my favorite (paraphrased) line from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory; "It's only money and they print more of it everyday"

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
    About two years ago, I went to my local Can-Am dealer to hopefully test ride a Spyder. I told the salesman that I ride a Harley, been riding for years, and have my motorcycle endorsement on my driver's license. He said, "Sure, you can test ride one, but you're restricted to our parking lot".

I was like, "What ?? What kind of bull**** test ride is that ??"

He said, "Sorry, that's just our policy".
    The past Chapter Director of the local GWRRA chapter related a story where a couple of seasoned two wheel riders went into a Honda dealership and each bought a trike. The salesman told them to do some runs around the parking lot to get the hang of things. Their response was something like, "We been riding for years. We know how to ride and don't need to do any parking lot practice!" A few minutes later one had smacked the side of the dealership building and the other was in the ditch by the exit!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Smile

Congratulations Dan. I'm pleased that I'm wrong with my convertible prediction. Post pictures.