Spyder Garage

Default OK now we got a plugged tire now what ?

Now your with a tire with a plug, do you keep using it with the plug or do you take it off and put a patch on it too and keep using it or just buy a new tire ?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

IMO, a plug is temporary only. Take the tire to a tire shop and have them patch it correctly, or replace it. What you do depends on the condition of tire.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Tire plugs

Quote Originally Posted by wyo85 View Post
    Now your with a tire with a plug, do you keep using it with the plug or do you take it off and put a patch on it too and keep using it or just buy a new tire ?
    Tire plugs should be considered a temporary fix until a tire patch can be done to the inside of the tire. Plugs may even last a year or more, but they all will eventually leak.
    2019 RTL , Blue

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyo85 View Post
    Always think SAFETY! A plug is TEMPORARY. It will get you out of a jam, but for myself, I’d REPLACE the compromised item (in this case, Tire) as soon as practical. There are many posters on her preaching ATGATT. Tires are a SAFETY item. THINK SAFETY!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Have a proper patch done and wear it out. I've run plugged tires for a long time also.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've plugged several tires over the years but never a motorcycle or spyder tire. All of mine have been on trailers, tractors, pickup trucks or ATVs. If the plug held on the trailer or ATV I just left it. On the vehicles I had a tire shop remove the tire and patch it from the inside if possible. Some automotive tires can't be patched depending on the puncture location. I've used the "strip" plug system. It's been the most successful type for me.

Spyder Garage

Like Mac said; if the tire is worn, I’ll replace it. New or nearly new, patch from inside. I plugged one on a trip, and after the trip, it needed replacing, anyway. I go thru several sets a year, so replacing is not a big deal. Helps that I have a tire machine! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Depends on how lucky you feel

Spyder Garage

If it is a "mushroom" type plug, like the brand Stop-n-Go uses, it can go the distance of the life of the tire. I have done it on several bikes for the 5000-9000mi life of those tires.... Been lucky on the F3S and to not have had a puncture yet.... I just checked it before every ryde with some soapy water for a leak...

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Here in Oz, any plug type repair done from outside the tire is considered temporary & is technically 'only legal' in order to get you to a place of repair (the nearest being implied, but not spelled out! ); and there are fairly specific directions on what type of puncture can be permanently repaired & where any punctures that are going to be permanently repaired can be located on the tire too.

In brief, here in Oz all punctures that are allowed to be repaired 'permanently' must be repaired from the inside of the tire; any sidewall puncture that's allowed to be repaired (& not all are!) must be repaired with a patch or gaiter; all tread repairs must use a mushroom type plug &/or fillers and a patch or gaiter; and there's a bunch more specific stuff detailed in the Tyre & Rim Association of Australia's Yearbook, their Annually issued Manual, which is based upon the Internationally Agreed Tire & Rim Standards, of which I believe the USA is also a signatory, so I'd expect the requirements to be fairly similar, even if the Federal Legislation backing the upholding of it's strictures & their enforcement isn't.

But as others have said, your vehicles tires are the only things keeping you safely on the road, so you really hafta think about your safety & the safety of those travelling with you & around you!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

With car tires running lower PSI and load weight, chances are that your car tire will likely last its tread life with the plug installed. That said, if you're 50% or more past tread life, you might as well do a tire swap..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    IMO, a plug is temporary only. Take the tire to a tire shop and have them patch it correctly, or replace it. What you do depends on the condition of tire.
    Years ago before the rope plug and I am talking in the 60s and 70s, tire plugs for made of rubber and looked like a mushroom or umbrella. We had a special tool that pushed it through the hole that was reemed and then pulled back on the stem and aired the tire up to get it to seat. After a few minutes she simply cut the stem sticking outside of the tire and it was a permanent fix. I don’t even think they make such a thing anymore, but it sure was better than the rope.

Spyder Garage

If it's an OEM tire I would replace it with a quality car tire ASAP since the OEM tire is just a very cheaply made car tire - so why attempt to save it!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue