Spyder Garage

Default For newbies.. How to find the frame stamped VIN on your "new" 1330cc Spyder

So you just bought your new (to you) dream Spyder and need to title it in California, or another state that requires verification of both the VIN number stamped into the frame AND the swing arm VIN label, or possibly just the frame VIN to be verified, along with the engine ID.

I was finally able to locate the frame stamped VIN on my 2015 F3S with the help of Jay Brosnan who found the frame VIN plate on his early RT. The location is the same for both F3 and RT. He described where to look and what it looked like in, detail through, some email exchanges. Thanks Jay!

How to find the stamped VIN:
    For the early 1330cc RT and F3 model, you’ll likely not have an easy time finding the plate with a stamped VIN. The 2020 models are rumored, by some forum members to have an easy to find plate. If you don't have one of the very latest models, that has the VIN plate prominently displayed, this should help you find that hidden VIN plate rather easily. After searching for hours, literally, I decided to post some pics and instructions to make the task easy. I’ve seen a few posts that have explained where to find the bloody VIN tab, but they only made sense to me, a new owner, after I went through my own purgatory.

The F3 owner’s manual shows this location pic:

OM VIN location.jpg

The location shown for the frame stamp is accurate, but finding the small VIN plate is not that easy. Note, the location of the VIN is the same for both the 1330 F3 and RT.

On the F3, the small frame VIN plate, or tab, is directly behind the horn, attached to the frame behind the right front wheel. On the early RTs, before 2019, the horn was not on the right side, but the VIN location on the frame should be on the right for all the RTs. If there are differences on the more current models, please correct.

The following drawing from the 2015 F3 service manual shows removal of the right side protection panel to access the horn. The panel obscures the horn and VIN tag on the F3. There is a similar panel on the RT.

RtProtectionPanel.jpg

Below is the figure of the protection panel from the F3 parts manual. The vertical section obscures the horn and VIN tag. Three push pins and one torx screw hold the panel in place.

RightProtection Panel.jpg

Once removed, you should be able to view and access the horn plus the VIN plate behind the front wheel. Look in, and down, into the area forward of, and below the shock, toward the lower frame. Find the spot where the front of the lower A-arm attaches to the frame, and you’ll see the horn, with the VIN tag partially visible, behind it.

VIN3s.jpg

Remove the horn from its vertical bracket. That bracket is bolted to the frame underneath the VIN tag, and can be loosened then swung aside. That reveals the entire VIN plate. Cleaning the plate with a 3M green ScotchBrite pad and acetone make the number much easier to read. My DMV service came to the house to do the official VIN verification, which was easy(finally) with the Spyder on jackstands and the revealed VIN plate cleaned.

VINclean1.jpg

Now get it titled, registered and ridden!

Spyder daily driver - 2015 F3S magnesium - grocery getter
    BajaRon swaybar, Shad sidecases and Givi top case with Admore kits, adjustable brake rod, LaMonster LED headlights, Stebel Nautilus, Zumo 396, FOBO TPMS, F4 Customs windscreen and bump skid
    Front Tires - 175/55R-15 Yokohama AVID S34FA SL
    Rear - General Altima RT45

Spyder touring buddy (White-Whale) - 2018 RTL pearlescent white - set up for touring and local dates with SWMBO.
    LaMonster LED headlights, Stebel Nautilus, Zumo 396, Spyder cuff, FOBO TPMS, driver adjustable backrest, rear view mirror LED turn signals, and Eastern Beaver PC-8R fuse box. Baja Ron Ultra Sway Bar on the way.

Front Tires - Stock Kendas

Other motorcycle transport - 2010 Honda NT700VA Deauville and assorted vintage Japanese bikes

Spyder Garage

Default For newbies.. How to find the frame stamped VIN on your "new" 1330cc Spyder

Thank you for the great tutorial. Oh the many joys of living in Ca.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mikthebik View Post
    So you just bought your new (to you) dream Spyder and need to title it in California, or another state that requires verification of both the VIN number stamped into the frame AND the swing arm VIN label, or possibly just the frame VIN to be verified, along with the engine ID.

I was finally able to locate the frame stamped VIN on my 2015 F3S with the help of Jay Brosnan who found the frame VIN plate on his early RT. The location is the same for both F3 and RT. He described where to look and what it looked like in, detail through, some email exchanges. Thanks Jay!

How to find the stamped VIN:
    For the early 1330cc RT and F3 model, you’ll likely not have an easy time finding the plate with a stamped VIN. The 2020 models are rumored, by some forum members to have an easy to find plate. If you don't have one of the very latest models, that has the VIN plate prominently displayed, this should help you find that hidden VIN plate rather easily. After searching for hours, literally, I decided to post some pics and instructions to make the task easy. I’ve seen a few posts that have explained where to find the bloody VIN tab, but they only made sense to me, a new owner, after I went through my own purgatory.

The F3 owner’s manual shows this location pic:

OM VIN location.jpg

The location shown for the frame stamp is accurate, but finding the small VIN plate is not that easy. Note, the location of the VIN is the same for both the 1330 F3 and RT.

On the F3, the small frame VIN plate, or tab, is directly behind the horn, attached to the frame behind the right front wheel. On the early RTs, before 2019, the horn was not on the right side, but the VIN location on the frame should be on the right for all the RTs. If there are differences on the more current models, please correct.

The following drawing from the 2015 F3 service manual shows removal of the right side protection panel to access the horn. The panel obscures the horn and VIN tag on the F3. There is a similar panel on the RT.

RtProtectionPanel.jpg

Below is the figure of the protection panel from the F3 parts manual. The vertical section obscures the horn and VIN tag. Three push pins and one torx screw hold the panel in place.

RightProtection Panel.jpg

Once removed, you should be able to view and access the horn plus the VIN plate behind the front wheel. Look in, and down, into the area forward of, and below the shock, toward the lower frame. Find the spot where the front of the lower A-arm attaches to the frame, and you’ll see the horn, with the VIN tag partially visible, behind it.

VIN3s.jpg

Remove the horn from its vertical bracket. That bracket is bolted to the frame underneath the VIN tag, and can be loosened then swung aside. That reveals the entire VIN plate. Cleaning the plate with a 3M green ScotchBrite pad and acetone make the number much easier to read. My DMV service came to the house to do the official VIN verification, which was easy(finally) with the Spyder on jackstands and the revealed VIN plate cleaned.

VINclean1.jpg

Now get it titled, registered and ridden!
    Also, check your Insurance ID or your Motorcycle Registration Cards, for the VIN number. Also check your "Bill of Sale"for the VIN number.
    I have a 2014 RTS-SE6, the VIN number is on the swing arm.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Deanna, Finding a record of the VIN on the swing arm and documents is easy, and not the point. To retitle a Spyder in California, and some other states, the DMV representative is REQUIRED to verify that the VIN stamped on the frame matches the one shown on the seller's title. They must fill out paperwork to record their verification. That's where the difficulty lies, finding the bloody thing on a 1330 Spyder.

BajaRon swaybar, Shad sidecases and Givi top case with Admore kits, adjustable brake rod, LaMonster LED headlights, Stebel Nautilus, Zumo 396, FOBO TPMS, F4 Customs windscreen and bump skid

Spyder touring buddy (White-Whale) - 2018 RTL pearlescent white - set up for touring and local dates with SWMBO.
    LaMonster LED headlights, Stebel Nautilus, Zumo 396, Spyder cuff, FOBO TPMS, driver adjustable backrest, rear view mirror LED turn signals, and Eastern Beaver PC-8R fuse box. Baja Ron Ultra Sway Bar on the way.

Other motorcycle transport - 2010 Honda NT700VA Deauville and assorted vintage Japanese bikes

Spyder Garage

Deanna, Finding a record of the VIN on the swing arm and documents is easy, and not the point. To retitle a Spyder in California, and some other states, the DMV representative is REQUIRED to verify that the VIN stamped on the frame matches the one shown on the seller's title. They must fill out paperwork to record their verification. That's where the difficulty lies, finding the bloody thing on a 1330 Spyder.
    Same here in Kansas. They must see it and it has to be done at their facility (parking lot at the tag office).
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here in Idaho an LEO can do the verification by checking the VIN on the swingarm label. One even came to my house to do it!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Luckily, here in Cali we have privately owned DMV services that are licensed to deal with the DMV. Most are owned by ex-DMV employees and know all the rules, regs and how to deal with the DMV employees, who typically do not. Barb’s Auto Registration is my go to expert and has helped me for years. Most will travel to your home, if needed. Some do that exclusively.

If you have to deal with a parking lot VIN inspection, best find and reveal the VIN tag, before hand. Even then, hopefully you’ll find an inspector flexible enough to be able to “get down” and view, or use the camera on a phone to avoid such contortions.

Spyder Garage

Here it is on a 19 and older RT:
    C9DECDB4-FCA8-4F76-A2FE-C7B842F40F22.jpg
    Enlarge the picture to see. To find, kneel by the right front wheel. Follow the tie rod in. It is on the right. A strong light and good eyes will help! Rotate picture clockwise to put the a arm on the bottom.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

mikthebk: OK. I was only trying to help!

Now I know.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    mikthebk: OK. I was only trying to help!

Now I know.

Deanna
    No worries.. ��