Spyder Garage

Default Standard exhaust mods for Ryker - Any ideas??

I've seen a few articles on modification of the original exhaust system just to make it a bit louder just to let the kangaroos hear me
    Any ideas would be great

Spyder Garage

Call Ricky at RLS Exhaust, he builds what he sells and can tell you exactly what products provide what sound. He did that for me and I am very pleased.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-03-2021 at 10:29 PM. Reason: di = did ;-)
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I'm asking a question regarding modifications on a standard exhaust not an aftermarket one
    Not sure where you have kangaroos on the roads in America

Spyder Garage

There's a few Ozzies with Rykers who've bought RLS Exhausts from the States Frank, and there's a bunch more who've tossed the OE Catalytic Converter but kept the OE Muffler, & both groups have been pretty happy with the resulting sound (& performance) Not that I think either would be very successful in scaring Kangaroos, or the North American equivalent, deer!! Neither of those animals really pay much attention to 'approaching vehicle noises', not even those ultra-sonic whistle thingies that've been shown thru numerous studies (including some Aussie University & Road Traffic Research facilities) to be basically useless at scaring animals off the verges!

That lot aside, the really isn't very much at all that you can do to an OE Spyder or Ryker muffler to change it's sound &/or performance output significantly. The exhaust on these BRP 3 wheeler thingies are fairly complex sound boxes that are effectively impossible to 'un-stuff' or 'punch the insides out' of readily, and even if you do decide to go so far as splitting the whole thing in halves lengthwise to gut it & re-weld it all back together again so that it looks the same as an OE muffler, just without the insides so hopefully with less noise suppression, it doesn't really work too well unless you gut the Catalytic Converter anyway!!

So RICZ's suggestion is actually a pretty good one; and one that's been used by a few Ozzies already! There are a few home grown Ozzie Cat Eliminator alternatives for the Spyders around, but I'm not sure I've seen any for the Rykers (yet?? ) You might want to check on the local Forums - OzSpyderRyders.com or spyderryders.net.au are probably your best bets, but there are a few others where you might find some helpful info.

Still, I reckon your best bet to make sure the roos can hear you is to invest in a set of high quality twin tone horns, either loud electrics, or maybe a compact twin trumpet air horn (or both??! ) They DO fit in under the Tupperware, and they can be bloody loud, which comes in handy for those 'other' animals we often encounter on the roads here Down Under... and I don't mean the furry marsuipial wombats either, but the term 'bloody wombat' has been used to describe these others quite often!

Over to you!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info
    I was looking at perhaps removing some of the inners to add a little bit of sound
    I've seen a small clip of someone cutting some of the top of the muffler off & removing part of the baffle
    I was hoping someone can let me know what they did
    Thanks anyway

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frankclock View Post
    Thanks for the info
    I was looking at perhaps removing some of the inners to add a little bit of sound
    I've seen a small clip of someone cutting some of the top of the muffler off & removing part of the baffle
    I was hoping someone can let me know what they did
    Thanks anyway
    I've cut the end off a Spyder muffler (or three ) hoping to be able to easily gut one that way; but no, there's multiple chambers and baffles, so I found I also had to also split them lengthwise to remove the various chambers & pipes & holey cans etc in order to try & ease the exhaust flow, and then I hadta weld the outside casing all back together again! And for the little gain all that resulted in, even AFTER I'd also done a Cat Delete, it really wasn't worth half the effort!

So for my 2 bob's worth, especially considering the inordinate effort involved for such a little gain, plus what I've seen of the Ryker mufflers, you'd be a whole lot smarter to save yourself a LOT of wasted time & effort and buy something from someone who's tried all the variations to determine what works & what doesn't, and who does all that sorta stuff all the time!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Peter is correct. Unless you plan on cutting it open like a tin can, then welding it back together, any of the internal baffle system would be difficult to remove to say the least. Upper right exhaust is the Ryker exhaust can. You might be able to perforate it with a 16" long drill bit from the end, but it would have to be a pretty large hole to make it sound deeper and louder.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

Good lord. No wonder that thing weighs a ton. Overkill on the baffles.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

thanks made
    Just what I wanted to see is the inside of the muffler
    Time to get the grinder out!!

Ipurchased a second hand std muffler the other day