Spyder Garage

Default stripped out oil drain plug.

Has anyone had a dealer to remove a stripped out drain plug? Just asking in case you know what happens. I already have new ones from Lamonster ordered just in case.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-22-2022 at 08:55 PM. Reason: fr;om & le monster ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Crackerjack99 View Post
    Has anyone had a dealer to remove a stripped out drain plug? Just asking in case you know what happens. I already have new ones from Lamonster ordered just in case.
    I don't believe a Drain plug ( which is stainless steel ) can be stripped out ..... I'm very sure the Alloy pan / case will strip first. ..... very expensive fix ..... be careful .... PS always give a couple of hard raps to the socket to break the varnish seal hot oil creates .... and ALWAYS set your wrench to Loosen before you put it on ..... good luck ....Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-22-2022 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Better let people know whats stripped out, torx, allen or plug threads in engine case. As your sitting on your Spyder, Torx left side allen Right side.

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Question was, has anyone had a dealer to fix a stripped out torx head, just asking I have heard of some being stripped.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have stripped out the torx head before. I used an easy out to get the plug out after. Due like BK said make sure and tap the plug a few times before you try and take it out.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Drain Plugs

Just as BK has stated. Put a socket on the plug and hit it. Also make sure your ratchet is set to remove the drain plugs. (ccw). .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

So I guess the answer to your question is "no". Or if they have they are too shy to say so. Have you stripped something? Or preparing just in case?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    So I guess the answer to your question is "no". Or if they have they are too shy to say so. Have you stripped something? Or preparing just in case?
    Just in case, heard some stories years past.

Spyder Garage

In my experience I have found that if you make sure the torx or allen bit is all the way seated in the drain bolt and tapped a couple of times you will get it out without stripping.If you haven't already done so go to your favorite tool outlet buy one (1) torx of the proper size and one(1) 6mm Allen, I like 3/8 drive. Good luck with your oil change go slow and take your time and you should be fine.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

After you've removed your OEM oil drain plugs replace them with hex head gold plugs. You'll never be sorry you did.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the responses, all good advice.

Spyder Garage

Apparently Gold Plug has folded, the phone is disconnected and e-mails etc... go unanswered. Placed an order and funds were paid...crickets
    2016 F3-T , Blk/Rd

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've had good success in removing stubborn bolts/screws with this tool:

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2905-8...s%2C233&sr=1-4

The caveat is you MUST use the correct bits (Torx 45 on the left, 6mm Allen on the right) AND when you rap on the tool, you MUST insure it's turning the correct direction.

Good luck (it's really a non-issue IF you use the correct tool for the job).
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

C'mon people, the resurgence of all these oil change & drain plug threads is simply because Jane has (in every thread) kindly given us a heads up that apparently Gold Plugs has folded!! See post #12, quoted below....

Quote Originally Posted by Jane1330 View Post
    Apparently Gold Plug has folded, the phone is disconnected and e-mails etc... go unanswered. Placed an order and funds were paid...crickets
    So there is no further need to rehash the already finalised discussion in any of these threads - not unless you've got something new &/or helpful to add that hasn't already been covered, anyway!!

And No, there is no need to report these posts, it's not spam - well, not yet anyway!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-21-2022 at 08:43 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Magnetic oil drain plugs

How come all the other threads on this topic got closed?

Hope it's okay to post this link to Lamonster's listing https://www.lamonstergarage.com/show...ic-drain-plug/
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Did you actually READ any of those 'other threads' that got closed Pete?? More than just the last post?? And especially those that stayed open?? . I would've thought reading more than just the latest posts in them and looking at the original post dates would make it pretty obvious..... but for those who didn't bother to read any of the earlier posts, I've put in an extra post to make doubly sure that now it is obvious! ....

And thanks for repeating RiderDuke's link from one of those other threads into this thread too.

Quote Originally Posted by RiderDuke View Post
    That sucks Jane.... Try Lamonster Garage...
    https://www.lamonstergarage.com/show...ic-drain-plug/
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-21-2022 at 11:47 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Does anyone know if these Show Chrome magnetic drain plugs are the same as the ones Gold Plug was selling? If so, fans of Gold Plug now have a source.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I don’t think they are the same. If they are, you are getting both drain plugs for the price of 1 gold plug. They do look the same though. My gold plugs are 17mm and 15mm heads. For some reason I remember seeing these come out after I had already bought mine in 17.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's a link to the Dimple brand that some people here use with good results...

https://drainplugmagnets.com/motorcycles/can-am-spyder/
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

AND there was one brand that would break cause of a thin wall???
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    AND there was one brand that would break cause of a thin wall???
    BlueKnight911 (Mike) said in another thread that he thought he remembered Dimple brand having that issue. But that was followed up by several responses from people who reported having good results with Dimple.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I have the show chrome ones that Lamonster sells.

My only complaint is that "I" think one of the brass washers are too small. At least in the kit that I got.
    It could have been a packaging issue from show chrome's supplier.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Why does no one mention being sure to use a torque wrench when re-installing oil drain plugs? The proper torque is WAY lower than what most people put on these fasteners, leading to stripped plugs the next time...
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    Why does no one mention being sure to use a torque wrench when re-installing oil drain plugs? The proper torque is WAY lower than what most people put on these fasteners, leading to stripped plugs the next time...
    Quote below from one of the other threads ( https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...00#post1639000 ) on this subject:

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I cringe when people use a torque wrench on drain plugs. A lot of reasons not to. The 2 most compelling are, 1- It's not necessary. 2- It often produces more problems than it solves for drain plugs (Stripped). Don't get me wrong, For lug nuts, head bolts and other high torque, high stress fittings I am a dedicated torque wrench user. I just don't feel the torque wrench is a universal solution.

The drain plugs come from the factory too tight. They don't need to be all that tight. How often to you hear of a drain plug falling out? (Extremely Rare) How often do you hear of one stripped? (Constantly) People feel that if tight enough is good, tighter is better (as they visualize their drain plugs falling out as they are running down the highway). It's just not reality. And can cause a lot of grief.

I use a Stubby ratchet (I like the articulating kind. But any 3/8" will do nicely) I grip near the head. This gives me a very good feel of what is happening. I just snug the drain plug. Works every time and is no big deal getting it off at the next service. The heat cycles your engine goes through to the next service will work to tighten the plug even more. The machining on these connections are very precise. They won't leak and there is virtually no pressure on that connection. You'll be fine and very happy the next time around. I'm still using the original drain plugs on my 2008 GS.

Next, recommended torque on these plugs is in Inch Pounds. And a low value at that. A torque wrench becomes more and more inaccurate as you move above or below 80% of it's rated range. Not to mention dropping, hard bumping, or storing the wrench at other than the prescribed setting can greatly reduce accuracy. How often do you accurately calibrate your torque wrench? Are you sure it is giving you an accurate reading? At higher values, this is not all the critical. But at values our drain plugs indicate, it is critical.

You have no feeling with a torque wrench. You can easily strip a fitting with no warning. Not so with a stubby ratchet gripped near the head.

I know that for many, a torque setting gives a warm, fuzzy feeling of confidence. But in my opinion, it is safer to trust the very sensitive nerves in your hand for lower torque values.

It's your ride. You should wrench it the way you think best. Just my 2 cents after hearing horror stories on a weekly basis.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!