Spyder Garage

Default After advice on cost for my 28K service?

I have a mobile mechanic coming to do the following:

Plugs, fuel filter, oil change, HCM filter change, new front sprocket install, and battery install.

Charging me about $400 with me providing all parts.

Reasonable labor charge?

Spyder Garage

If you look at the average shop cost of $108.00 per hour. Works out to be approximately 3 1/2 hours of labor. Replacing the plugs, front sprocket and HCM filter has you pull all the panels off bike on both sides and front for the plugs! I feel your doing ok with the cost!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post

Plugs, fuel filter, oil change, HCM filter change, new front sprocket install, and battery install.

Reasonable labor charge?
    Sounds pretty good to me. I am suprised they are going to do plugs. They are a "BEAR" to change out, and should last you 60K miles. Some places claim its about a 3 hour job just to do that.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Sounds pretty good to me. I am suprised they are going to do plugs. They are a "BEAR" to change out, and should last you 60K miles. Some places claim its about a 3 hour job just to do that.
    Well, I am a bit early for some of this stuff, but I have the money now, so I figured I would go ahead and do it all. Including the plugs

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    On the " plugs thing " .... ... I have over 66,000 mi. and no plug issues that I can detect .... However I think I will change mine this winter, ( becuase i can )., but they will be not changed again. I'm almost 75, and if I'm still riding in my 80's I'll have someone else do it ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    On the " plugs thing " .... ... I have over 66,000 mi. and no plug issues that I can detect .... However I think I will change mine this winter, ( becuase i can )., but they will be not changed again. I'm almost 75, and if I'm still riding in my 80's I'll have someone else do it ..... Mike
    But how do you know if they should be replaced or not then? I have about 23K. So was trying to be proactive

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wish that mobile service was available to me. Very reasonable cost considering the convenience
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation Contact BajaRon now!

acdc -- $400 is a bargain! I suggest you have $50 in your pocket and a case of beer as a thank you. Which will be well deserved. Access to the spark plugs requires removal of the two-part air box which requires removal of much of the front bodywork.

My local Moto Guzzi dealer wanted 2 hours of labor at $110/hour to change the oil, transmission and final drive fluids on my V7 III -- NO bodywork removal not even the seat. I sold the V7.

WRT parts, I recommend you contact BajaRon immediately. He has the proper spark plug kit (it includes the mandatory thermal compound and silocone grease). He can also explain what happens to your ignition when spark plugs get old (it's not good). He can provide all the other materials as well as excellent advice with fast shipping.

PS consider changing the coolant. It's actually pretty easy.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    acdc -- $400 is a bargain! I suggest you have $50 in your pocket and a case of beer as a thank you. Which will be well deserved. Access to the spark plugs requires removal of the two-part air box which requires removal of much of the front bodywork.

My local Moto Guzzi dealer wanted 2 hours of labor at $110/hour to change the oil, transmission and final drive fluids on my V7 III -- NO bodywork removal not even the seat. I sold the V7.

WRT parts, I recommend you contact BajaRon immediately. He has the proper spark plug kit (it includes the mandatory thermal compound and silocone grease). He can also explain what happens to your ignition when spark plugs get old (it's not good). He can provide all the other materials as well as excellent advice with fast shipping.

PS consider changing the coolant. It's actually pretty easy.
    I will have the coolant done. This this what I need? https://www.amazon.com/BRP-Ski-Doo-C.../dp/B075XSW94M

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep that's the coolant.

Take a look at my posts on changing spark plugs and coolant. I'd provide links but gotta run to an appointment.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

That is a great price! I charge 75 an hour, and I know it would be 4-5 hours, easily. Tip heavy!
    I don’t think you are ready for plugs. The last set we did at 35,000 miles looked new! YMMV.
    Joe
    Last edited by cptjam; 11-03-2021 at 03:55 PM.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

But how do you know if they should be replaced or not then? I have about 23K. So was trying to be proactive
    I don't .... but does BRP know they need changing at 28,000 mi ????? ..... I doubt it .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Iridium plugs should be good for at least 40-50k miles. My last bike had 69k when sold and never missed a beat with original plugs.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Reasonable labor charge?
    Just my recent experience out here in WA.

At 50,000 +/- miles I just had the following work quoted and done. Actual bill (parts and labor) was a little less.
    Hrs allotted and Total cost P&L for each activity:
    Oil & filter Changed - 1.5 hrs. - $294.49
    DOT4 Brake fluid flush and fill - 1.5 hrs - $204.49
    Spark Plugs replaced - 2.5 hrs - $374.43
    Remove rear tire and replace with MY new tire - 1.5 hrs - $194.50
    due to location of the shop and distance from the house and "monsoon weather for 2 week period", I had it picked up (covered box trailer) and delivered back to house.
    They only charged for miles Spyder was in their possesion, not "empty trailer" miles - total cost $525.00. ( a good friend of mine reminded me that peace of mind is priceless!)
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

My local dealer charges $1700.00 for 28k service. I will do myself in the spring since I'm at almost 28k . I did the HCM filter with my oil change already.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 28,000 Mile Service

Yes those are very good prices. ....
    THE OP Cost of $400.00. Not the $1700.00 labor and parts. Need to shop around and find a better deal.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

$1700? Yikes!

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Cost of 28K Service?????

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    $1700? Yikes!
    .....Maybe there are Washing and Waxing the Spyder. ...............
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Charging me about $400 with me providing all parts. Reasonable labor charge?
    I bought my RT from an estate sale and the trike had sat for sometime. I took it to the dealer and had them go from front to back and bottom to top to make sure everything was in order. This included changing all the fluids, Spark plugs, and a computer check. The bill was right at $500 and I felt it was well worth it.