Spyder Garage

Default Connectivity Question - can I connect my iPhone like this?

Long story - I have been researching Spyders for a while. I am sold on the stability, looks, function for touring two-up. Haven't committed to a model yet, F-3 Limited Special, RT-L and Sea to Sky are all in the running, but I think my question is true to them all. My current set up is running my iPhone through a cable to my stereo (2016 Victory CCT). It is simple, yet works. GPS and tunes run through the speakers, limited funtionality, but enough for what I need it for.

My question, I read a lot about the BRP app, and the struggles surrounding it. On any of the models, is the above mentioned set up a possibility? Just use a music app (Pandora, SiriusXM app, iHeart Radio, etc) and Google maps and run that sound through a cable to the stereo on the Spyders?

I also use a stand alone GPS for when we are in the mountains with no cell reception, but that is Bluetoothed to my helmet comm.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Jess

Spyder Garage

The stereos on the spyders suck. Doesn't get very loud and no bass whatsoever..I use ear buds going forward.

But in regards to your inquiries, your method would work fine.

Spyder Garage

Short answer: All the 20+ RT models will do what you want to do.
    I have a '20 RT. As you noted, the BRP solution is less than desirable.
    I use the standard AUX input plug in the glovebox for an XM radio input. You can simply use that plug to connect your iphone for GPS & music output. That method doesn't give you the ability to speak on the phone unless you BT the phone to your lid.
    My Zumo GPS and phone are directly bluetoothed to my helmet for directions. I can listen to the RT BT output (XM) and intercom and have the Zumo jump in with directions without interfering with the intercom chatter.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the quick replies. I am happy to hear that the method works and others use similar workarounds for the stereo. I am not happy to hear that the stereos on the bikes are that bad - hopefully the sound is at least as good as my current set up.

Ray - I do BT my phone to my helmet for calls as needed, so I have it split with the GPS/music to the bike, phone calls to my BT comms.

Spyder Garage

Audio quality is debatable. It may be adequate or inadequate depending on your tastes. However, as mentioned, you can definitely get audio from your device(s) through your speakers w/o using an aux cable. Bluetooth works just fine. Also, some have found that the BRP apps work just fine for them(not me though lol). I connected to BRP connect, I think now it is BRP GO. Then, from that point on, I just run blue tooth w/o the aux cable. You can mess around with the equalizer, fader, and balancer to see if it provides the sound you want. If not, I'm sure you can swap audio components to get a sound you can accept.

Spyder Garage

What you want to do is doable and works best if your GPS can plug into the AUX in plug in the top compartment. If you have a Zumo XT then it gets a little more complicated because it only works via Bluetooth and unfortunately is not compatible with the bluetooth on the BRP radio. You can't get them to pair together. There is a workaround where you purchase a bluetooth adapter that you plug into the AUX cable in the top compartment to establish the connection. I did that for a while but found myself spending too much time getting it all connected. I finally just abandoned the BRP radio all together and have everything connecting to my Zumo XT. I can't use any of the controls on the bars for volume or playback control, but so far that hasn't been a huge issue. I use a Sena 50S on my helmet and it is pretty simple to adjust volume on it. If the phone rings I usually just press the answer button that pops up on my Zumo XT. I do plug my phone into the USB jack in the front compartment but I don't have the Spyder paired to it. It all works pretty good now and everything just connects when I turn it all on.
    2021 Spyder RT-L Deep Marsalsa Metalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
    The stereos on the spyders suck. Doesn't get very loud and no bass whatsoever..I use ear buds going forward.

But in regards to your inquiries, your method would work fine.
    my stereo is really loud thru BRP bluetooth on my 2020 F3L, with my phone connected playing my music i have on my phone, not loud thru AUX with mp3 player.
    2020 F3 limited, liquid titanium
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    19 in freedom tinted windshield
    matte black daytona frunk wrap
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DanDanTMM View Post
    What you want to do is doable and works best if your GPS can plug into the AUX in plug in the top compartment. If you have a Zumo XT then it gets a little more complicated because it only works via Bluetooth and unfortunately is not compatible with the bluetooth on the BRP radio. You can't get them to pair together. There is a workaround where you purchase a bluetooth adapter that you plug into the AUX cable in the top compartment to establish the connection. I did that for a while but found myself spending too much time getting it all connected. I finally just abandoned the BRP radio all together and have everything connecting to my Zumo XT. I can't use any of the controls on the bars for volume or playback control, but so far that hasn't been a huge issue. I use a Sena 50S on my helmet and it is pretty simple to adjust volume on it. If the phone rings I usually just press the answer button that pops up on my Zumo XT. I do plug my phone into the USB jack in the front compartment but I don't have the Spyder paired to it. It all works pretty good now and everything just connects when I turn it all on.
    That's the best explanation and solution I've heard so far.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Bluetooth dongle 7.99 at Walmart
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wireless-...Mic/507524211?
    Cable at Amazon 8.99
    Ancable 3ft 7-Pin Din Male to 3.5mm(1/8in) Stereo Male Replacement Audio Cable Compatible iPod/iPad/iPhone/MP3/PC/TV/Android to Bang & Olufsen B&O, Naim, Quad.Stereo Systems
    https://a.co/d/aRbpdfE

Both work I have attached these to my RTS Special Series and just got them to work
    I had tried another Bluetooth dongle and that didn’t work then I remembered
    I had this one in house and tried it and it worked no issue total cost $17.00 plus tax better than buying cable for $50
    New Owner of
    2015 Spyder RT-S Special Series
    Black/Silver w Burgundy Seat
    Bought only had 3,660 miles
    1st time on Spyder and 1st ride was 2 hour trip home after purchase
    No Regrets and each day always a good day to ride…
    2015 RTS Special Series , Black/Silver w Burgundy Seats